Any Feedback On This Diamond Appreciated

qgambit

No red flags, but a few things to check:

1) Some (rare) diamonds with strong fluorescence can turn hazy when in sunlight. It's rare, and it's generally signalled by a significant discount in price compared to other similar stones.

2) You are paying a premium for VVS clarity that is not going to be reflected in anything you see compared to a VS (or even SI) diamond.

3) The crown is steep(ish); I like it (though I would also like to see a smaller table for the same crown height), but not everybody will.

Everything Davide said!  The steep crown (36°) will cause the center of the diamond to look dark and this is actually confirmed in the pale areas in the center of the reflector images.  The VVS is appreciable on paper but not visually when compared to a VS2 or above.  I would beg to differ minimally with Davide on the SI1 as I have found increasing numbers of eye visible SI1 stones coming out of the GIA.  You need to at least see an image of an SI1 before making a decision.  For the strong blue, you must see the diamond and how it appears in sunlight.  In the event that the diamond exhibits a bluish cast or haze, make sure you can return it with no penalties.

[snip]

I would beg to differ minimally with Davide on the SI1 as I have found increasing numbers of eye visible SI1 stones coming out of the GIA.  You need to at least see an image of an SI1 before making a decision.

[snip]

I don't think we are in any disagreement; what I was trying to say is that eye-clean SI (1 or 2) stones exist - not that any and all SI will be clean, so thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I got the diamond& setting and am really happy with it.  I think the ring looks incredible.  The diamond definitely has a strong fluorescence.  Outside in strong UV light it almost seems to glow purple.  It provides an interesting contrast against the non fluorescent halo stones.  I don't think hazy is how I would describe it.  It's very bright  and hard to look at directly when outdoors.

post-134433-0-79739800-1408728001_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...