Need Second Opinion On This Gia Si1 Diamond!

ned flanders

The two big questions for this type of stone are visibility of the inclusion and cut quality. As far as visibility of the inclusion, the photo seems to indicate it's quite clean, but you are providing little info other than the photo.

1. Are there other inclusions in addition to the cloud/crystal combo roughly at 10 o'clock and the feather (?) at 12 o'clock? If so, are these visible and this is just a lucky photo?

2. What are your criteria for "clean"? Does visibility from the side matter as well as from the top?

3. How sharp is your eyesight - or hers? My guess (repeat: guess) is that the inclusions visible in the roughly 15x photo are not visible to an average viewer at typical viewing distance for a typical observation time. Someone who knows they are there and looks closely for a while may be able to spot them.

On cut, you are providing no data on which to comment. If you like it and it's fairly priced, buy it.

sorry for the hiatus but I was unable to log in for a while. I have added hearts and arrow photos to go with the scope photo of that same diamond (no ASET or ideal scope were available). the diamond is 3x excellent according to the GIA cert and is said to be eye clean after all. my question is; is it evident that this diamond will have exceptional sparkle? can one tell from these photos alone or do you need to see aset or ideal scope? It has 61.4 depth, table of 58%, crown angle 35 and pav angle of 40.6. ive been told this is a great stone with great cut. true? will it sparkle or be on the dull side? thank you, thank you for any advice or input. cheers

The proportions read well; the H&A photos are pretty good (there's some slightly better, and there's a lot worse) - but that doesn't mean it will sparkle as you expect. No amount of images taken with whatever technique you want can tell us that - not least because your expectations are unknown. As you do for "eye-clean", you have the vendor's word that it sparkles.

What's their return policy? If that is decent, based on the info available I'd say that it's worthwhile taking a look at the stone in person

As much as the images look good and the proportions you mention would indicate that the stone is very well cut, ultimately, as Davide says, you will make the final determination.  Based on all the information you have provided, my educated guess would be that this is a stone well worth looking at.  As long as their return policy allows you time to see the stone for yourself with no penalties and cash back, I would tell you to pull the trigger as well.

Thank u for the insight guys. Also, the report says the stone ha strong blue fluorescence. I've been told that there is no haze or oily appearance. Should I expect some blue color in plain daylight or fluorescent light? There is a 30 day return policy so I think I will have a look either way. Just trying to set my expectations. Thanks!

Direct sunlight is the issue.  No, it probably will have no visible effect but the simple test is to take it outside and look at it when you get it.  Standard fluorescent lights don't actually have a significant amount of UV in them.  Assuming you're more than a few inches from the bulb, it's effectively zero. 

• Like 1