Which 1Ct Diamond?

cck

Dear Diamond Experts, 

I am on the look out for a 1 ct round diamond and based on my limited diamond knowledge, have narrowed down to these 2. They are both 3x. I would be making this diamond into a pendant. Any feedback is much appreciated. 

Diamond 1: 

Measurements 6.45 - 6.47 x 3.98 mm

Carat Weight 1.03 carat

Color Grade G

Clarity Grade VS1

Cut Grade Excellent

Depth 61.7 %

Table 57 %

Crown Angle 34.5°

Crown Height 14.5%

Pavilion Angle 40.8°

Pavilion Depth 43.0%

Star Length 50%

Lower Half 75%

Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%

Culet None

Clarity Characteristics Cloud, Needle

Additional clouds, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown.

Diamond 2: 

Table 56 %

Crown Angle 34.0°

Crown Height 15.0%

Pavilion Angle 41.0°

Pavilion Depth 43.5%

Star Length 50%

Lower Half 80%

Girdle Medium, Faceted, 3.0%

Culet None

Polish Excellent

Symmetry Excellent

Fluorescence Faint

Clarity Characteristics Feather

My concern with Diamond 1 are the clouds and needles. Should this put me off diamond 1? 

Thank-you in advance

user_online.png REPORT

Why would any inclusion graded VS1 put you off a stone? You are either searching for a "flawless" stone for symbolic reasons (futile search, but never mind), in which case nothing short of IF will do, or you are concerned about things being visible. VS1 will NOT be visible, and in fact for a pendant I'd say it's overkill.

Out of the 2 - assuming the second one is also G/VS1/1.0x, I'd prefer the cut of the first one by a smidgen, but it's close enough that I may well have the opposite opinion once I see the stones in reality.

For a pendant you should consider stones in the range of SI1; perhaps even lower.  For the same price as the two you have selected, you may be able to find lower-clarity stones which are significantly, visibly larger.  However --

1.  If you think you might eventually wind up with the stone set in a ring, keep the clarity relatively high.

2.  G-color is amenable to white gold for your pendant.  A higher color (D,E) would work better with platinum.

3.  What else do you plan to put in the pendant?

4.  Unless you're wedded to the notion of a classical round cut, consider alternate stone cuts for a pendant.  The price per carat will be significantly less.

5.  Similarly, a naked one-carat in a pendant isn't too much to look at because of its smallish size. It looks better in a ring setting with a woman's delicate finger as backdrop.  (That's why I asked what else will be there, on your pendant.)  And there will be mostly off-axis viewing of a pendant, so much of the discussions about precise cuts, hearts-and-arrows, etc., are less relevant to you.  Essentially, you want a BIG stone that's going to put out big flashes of light.

Thanks davidelevi and jginnane. I wouldn't be able to see the stones until I actually decide which one I want. Then they would order the one I like. They don't actually carry GIA diamonds, but are mainly into lazare and forever mark diamonds. That is why I wanted some expert opinion on this. The retailer seems to think diamond 2 is slightly better than diamond 1. The price difference is quite negligible.

I would like to set this as a pendant -I do have a 0.98ct pear shaped diamond already.

I am not really comfortable with an S1 as the ones shown to me have feathers. The retailer did show me another diamond with these proportions:

Measurements 6.52 - 6.55 x 4.06 mm

Carat Weight 1.07 carat

Color Grade F

Clarity Grade VS1

Cut Grade Excellent

Depth 62.1 %

Table 58 %

Crown Angle 35.0°

Crown Height 14.5%

Pavilion Angle 41.4°

Pavilion Depth 44.0%

Star Length 50%

Lower Half 75%

Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%

Culet None

FINISH

Polish Excellent

Symmetry Excellence

Fluorescence None

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS

Clarity Characteristics Cloud, Pinpoint

Is this better or wld Diamond 1 still hold?

Again many thanks for any feedback.

I'd stick to the previous pair - either one is better "on paper".

BTW - there is no such thing as a "GIA diamond". Lazare Kaplan and Forevermark (AKA De Beers) are diamond sellers; GIA is a lab grading diamonds. LK and FM could - and at least in the case of LK sometimes do - send diamonds to GIA for grading.

Be wary of assuming grading standards are comparable because people use the same grade names, and be careful in assuming that even sellers with a good reputation grade their diamonds correctly.

I'd stick to the previous pair - either one is better "on paper".BTW - there is no such thing as a "GIA diamond". Lazare Kaplan and Forevermark (AKA De Beers) are diamond sellers; GIA is a lab grading diamonds. LK and FM could - and at least in the case of LK sometimes do - send diamonds to GIA for grading.Be wary of assuming grading standards are comparable because people use the same grade names, and be careful in assuming that even sellers with a good reputation grade their diamonds correctly.

Davidelevi: Thanks for correcting my mistake on the GIA and further clarifying LK and FM. Just I more question: in your opinion, do you think diamond 1 is a good stone in terms of its proportions? You mentioned "on paper" , what should I be looking out for in the actual stone? Sorry for asking all these questions, but your patience is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It looks like a very nice stone, on paper. And so does #2, for that matter. The reason why I keep saying "on paper" is because there are many things that are not visible on a lab report that can make a difference in reality.

As to what to look out for - read this article by GIA explaining how they developed their cut system. It's a bit dry, but it explains very clearly what the different characteristics of light behaviour are; while the balance of fire, sparkle, brightness and contrast pattern each one of us likes is a personal choice, understanding what each of those things "looks like" is essential to evaluate a stone.

http://diamondcut.gia.edu/pdf/cut_fall2004.pdf

Edited by davidelevi

Thank very much for your help, Davidelevi. Truly appreciate your advice. I will read up on that article you posted. 

Denverappraiser: Thanks for clarifying the the different grading systems between Forevermark and LK. I guess that's why Davidelevi says to be wary of assuming grading standards are comparable. 

I will talk to the seller about Diamond 1 after reading the link. Thank-you so much everyone! 

Edited by cck

Let us know how it goes!

Here's an update...I told the seller I would like to see Diamond 1. They will need to purchase the diamond from overseas. Meanwhile, they have offered to let me view a similar proportioned diamond but in the F grade just to give me an idea how Diamond 1 will look.  Now I am in a dilemma, if they purchase the diamond with the intention that I will definitely buy it because they are certain I will like it, then I actually feel "pressured" to buy the diamond. Not too sure if I should lock myself to the seller this way. They are subtly trying to push the Lazare diamonds since that is their main thing...but an I colour, 1 ct VS1 clarity lazare  would be about USD12,500. Not too sure if it is worth paying a premium for the brand. 

Edited by cck

Mmmm... the vast majority of diamonds are purchased on what is called a "memo", that is, effectively, sale or return. Don't feel pressured into buying anything - the dealer isn't going to end stuck with a diamond they don't want. The one thing that can put some genuine pressure is that many wholesalers releasing stones on memo expect a deal to close relatively quickly (a week or less), so there is some time pressure, but no financial commitment.

This said, the idea of seeing another, similarly proportioned diamond is not a bad one - as long as it actually is similar. As a minimum it gives you one more option to consider/compare to. What I don't understand is: if they had this "other diamond", why was it not pulled out of the safe before?

$12500 for a 1 carat I/VS1 is folly in my opinion. You can get much better for less.

Mmmm... the vast majority of diamonds are purchased on what is called a "memo", that is, effectively, sale or return. Don't feel pressured into buying anything - the dealer isn't going to end stuck with a diamond they don't want. The one thing that can put some genuine pressure is that many wholesalers releasing stones on memo expect a deal to close relatively quickly (a week or less), so there is some time pressure, but no financial commitment.

This said, the idea of seeing another, similarly proportioned diamond is not a bad one - as long as it actually is similar. As a minimum it gives you one more option to consider/compare to. What I don't understand is: if they had this "other diamond", why was it not pulled out of the safe before?

$12500 for a 1 carat I/VS1 is folly in my opinion. You can get much better for less.

I am really learning so much through this forum! Thanks David :) It is enlightening to know that the seller doesn't really have to "buy" the diamond from the wholesalers. The seller is giving me a different version on this-I guess just to give us consumers some pressure to purchase. 

I will check out the other diamond since the seller says that the proportions are similar. I guess she didn't show me this "other diamond" because it was slightly off my budget. This similar diamond is an F colour, 1.05 ct, VS1 3x and priced at close to the Lazare diamond I mentioned earlier (i.e. USD12,500). Is that too much? In the worst case scenario, I may choose from the diamonds the seller has on hand. But most of them have a diamond depth of 62%, table between 56-58%. Is that cut too deep and too wide/small a table? 

Btw, that article you recommended was extremely informative. Thanks! 

It may not be too much, but it's at the very top of prices charged by online dealers for that type of stone. Fair enough, costs are higher on the high street, but quite a few of these "online" operations are high street jewellers that also source customers through the internet.

You can use the Diamond Finder utility (link at the top of each page in the forum) to check prices: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.00&fCaratHi=1.10&fColorLo=F&fColorHi=F&fClarityLo=VS1&fClarityHi=VS1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1

62% depth, 56-58% table is perfectly normal (maybe a smidgen high on depth - but it's OK). The real issue is that depth and table are largely meaningless in terms of light behaviour.

Edited by davidelevi

It may not be too much, but it's at the very top of prices charged by online dealers for that type of stone. Fair enough, costs are higher on the high street, but quite a few of these "online" operations are high street jewellers that also source customers through the internet.You can use the Diamond Finder utility (link at the top of each page in the forum) to check prices: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.00&fCaratHi=1.10&fColorLo=F&fColorHi=F&fClarityLo=VS1&fClarityHi=VS1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=162% depth, 56-58% table is perfectly normal (maybe a smidgen high on depth - but it's OK). The real issue is that depth and table are largely meaningless in terms of light behaviour.

Thanks davidelevi.