Please Help, Purchase 1.6/1.7 D Vvs2, Need To Make A Decission By Tmr

Aurorinha

Hi!

I'm very new in this diamond world and need to make a decission by tmr between these 2 diamonds:

1/ 1.60 D VVS2

GIA excellent cut, polish and symmetry

Measurements: 7.57 - 7.59 - 4.58

Table: 60

Total depth: 60.4

Crown angle: 35

Pavilion angle: 41

Star length: 55

Crown height: 14

Pavilion depth: 43.5

Girdle: thin to medium (3%)

Lower half: 80

Culet: none

Fluorescence: none

Gia facetware: Excellent

HCA score: 3 (very good light return, fire and spread and good scintilation)

Inclusions: some small clouds and pinpoints on the sides

2/ 1.72 D VVS2

Measurements: 7.74 - 7.78 - 4.71 mm

Table: 57

Total depth: 60.7

Crown angle: 34.5

Star length: 55

Crown height: 14.5

Girdle: thin to medium (3%)

Flurescence: none

GIA facetware: excellent

HCA score: 1.8 (excellent light return, very good fire, scintilation and spread)

Inclusions: just 1 small pinpoint on the side

3/1.52 D IF

Measurements: 7.5 - 7.53 - 4.48 mm

Table: 58

Total depth: 59.6

Crown angle: 31.5

Star length: 45

Crown height: 13

Girdle: med to slightly thick: 3.5

Fluorescence: none

Giafacetware: excellent

HCA score: 1.1 (excellent light return, fire and spread and very good scintillation)

I struggle to decide, any of these carat weights are fine for me; I just want to pick the best diamond out of these 3. The price is accordingly to the size (1.72 more expensive than 1.6 but less so than 1.52 IF). It's difficult for me to choose as I saw these diamonds in 3 different stores so I can't compare them together to see which is the brightest, the most firey or in which one the scintillation is better, so I try to rely a bit on numbers!.

Please, could you give some advice?

Thank you in advance! I need to decide by tmr!

Thanks for your answer Davidelevi!

The difference in price btw option 1 and 2 is about 3000 US dollars because the 1.72 is bigger than the 1.6( the color and clarity is the same). The 1.6 even being VVs2 has more inclusions than the 1.72, which has just a pinpoint on the side.

In the GIA estimated cut tables, the 1.6 falls in the range excellent bordering the very good. The 1.72 is right in the excellent section. The HCA score is much better for the 1.72.

That being said, I'm a bit concerned in the 1.6 beign a typical 60/60 table depth which causes a lot of controversy in the forums( some people love it others don't at all). As its a huge expense I struggle a bit to make decission given that I'm completely new in this diamond world and its difficult for me to see a better fire, brightness, scintillation in one diamond over another in this grade D VVs2 range. besides of that its in 2 different stores so I can't see them side by side and in neither of them they provide me with ideal scope images or other different tools to look further. Thats why my only way to decide would be to rely on numbers and the expert advice in this forum!

BTW, the GIA certificate numbers are: 3165370748 and 1156027627

Thanks a lot for your help!

Aurora

The "number" of inclusions has no relevance whatsoever. What matters is the grade and whether the inclusions are visible - which of course with a VVS is not an issue.

Personally, I think that the only way to decide is to forget the numbers, look at the diamonds in different lighting environments (under the spotlights, under diffused lighting at the back of the shop, in diffused natural light and direct sunlight), and then decide which one you like best. The numbers are there only to help you identify the diamonds and to act as a first filter; on that, you have taken it as far as you can go.

If they really seem the same to you, then it's easy: pick the cheapest.

Edited by davidelevi