Help: Getting A Ring Box For A Tiffany Engagement Ring

MrBig

I'm buying a pre-owned Tiffany engagement ring, which does NOT come with a box. :(

Obviously I'm getting a good price for the engagement ring. Tiffany & Co will be able to validate its authenticity, clean and polish the ring. But they don't sell their box.

The owner doesn't have the original box. eBay doesn't allow such listings (brand name empty box) nowadays.

Any suggestion what I can do about the situation?

I really hate to give up the chance to buy a good diamond ring with a great price. After all, this is what matters. But how can anyone explain to his girlfriend that he got her a Tiffany ring without a box? and is it a bad idea that someone proposes with a Tiffany ring without a box or with a generic box?

Any input is much appreciated. I need to make a decision on the ring soon.

Empty Tiffany boxes show up on a simple eBay search ("Tiffany box empty").

The other thing you could consider is making your own box using wood and other materials, if you are handy with tools.

As to whether it's "acceptable", I think a much bigger question is whether it is acceptable to your t-be-fiancée to get a "not new" ring...

Thanks Davide for the eBay search tip.

Thanks for bringing up to the acceptable question. I'm debating myself. With the same (similar) budget, should I get a diamond ring from Costco, or get a pre-owned Tiffany ring which can be cleaned and polished to like new and which retails for 2-3 times Costco ring?

Costco rings have got very good reviews. Tiffany rings not only have great quality, but also well recognized brand (or put it another way, a brand that girls love to own). To me a pre-owned Tiffany ring makes more sense, after all it's just diamond and platinum which holds its value. Of course, only if "pre-owned" doesn't bother you...

'Hold of value' isn't really the point here, is it?  Is she one to value the Tiffany branding over a bigger, brighter stone from somewhere else?  If so, will she value the Tiffany branding less if you buy it somewhere else?  These are not gemological properties but they're the big issues for your question.

Edited by denverappraiser

Me? Pre-owned all the time, particularly if it's signed. About 70% of my wife's jewellery is not only not new but decidedly old, and for much of it getting it "used" is the only way we would be able to afford it. This includes quite a few "meaningful" pieces, gifted on special occasions (children's births, anniversaries, "big" birthdays), and my wife would never trade these for "new" pieces - however, I also know quite a few people that would never consider presenting a pre-owned ring for engagement purposes, and quite a few girls that would be offended just by the thought.

Have you tried to probe where your girlfriend stands on this issue?

Thanks for the input, Neil and Davide.

I think my girlfriend would enjoy getting (discounted) value from a name brand. But I'm not 100% sure if a pre-owned would offend her. How do I probe? I don't plan on telling her that I'm buying a ring...

Also, would some girls be offended if the ring is from Costco?

Edited by MrBig

Costco is a fine outfit but yes, sometimes they have the same issue, along with Walmart, Sams Club and 'the Internet'.  You should be able to get a feel for her feelings on this sort of thing buy watching how she shops for other things.  Would she be happy with Costco clothing for example?  Is she a member herself or just you?

Take her shopping at a pawn shop and see how she reacts.  You can be 'looking' for something completely different, say a bicycle helmet or power tools.  The real question is how she feels about the process.

She's happy to shop at Costco for things other than food, but not sure about clothing.

I told her when I was buying Canon refurbished lenses. She didn't say anything. And later when we went out, she really liked the pictures taken with the lenses and never said anything about refurbished lenses.

She bought stones (sapphire, etc) herself and have people made ring for her in China. She's a Chinese by the way.

I know she doesn't really like paying top dollars for name brands, but when it comes to a ring, I'm still not sure.

It's less a question of whether she would tolerate you buying refurbished lenses than whether she would buy them herself. 

Frankly it sounds like she's NOT one to buy used stuff, or at least she keeps it hidden from you if she does.  Again, go visit a thrift store or a pawn shop and see how she reacts.