Help Me Choose A Diamond!

prking

I am currently in the process of selecting a stone for an e-ring and have it narrowed down to 2,  but am having trouble deciding which one to go with based on my limited experience and information that is available.

Both stones are 100% eye clean according to the cutters (I have not physically seen either).  The gentlemen that I am working with did say that the cutter from stone A is his preferred cutter to work with and has had more of a mixed experience with the cutter from stone B.  Both are GIA certified round brilliant cuts and are the same price.

Stone A:

6.96-6.96x4.26 mm

Carat-1.27

Color-J

Clarity-SI2

Cut- Excellent

Polish- Excellent

Symmetry- Excellent

Fluorescence- None

Table- 60%

Depth- 62.1%

Crown- 34%

Pavilion- 41.2%

Cutlet- None

HCA score= 3.8 (Very good)

Stone B:

7.07-7.11x4.22 mm

Carat-1.30

Color-J

Clarity-SI2

Cut- Excellent

Polish- Excellent

Symmetry- Excellent

Fluorescence- None

Table- 61%

Depth- 59.5%

Crown- 33.5%

Pavilion- 40.8%

Cutlet- None

HCA score= 1.8 (Excellent)

I have read not to put too much weight into the HCA score and the the GIA cut grade is a better indicator.  Not sure if this matters but on the website Stone A is listed as a "Signature Ideal Cut" where Stone B is listed as an "Ideal Cut." This is all the info I can get unfortunately, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Purely on paper, and rarely for me, I agree with the HCA. The real question is whether the two stones truly are eye-clean. The vendor you are working with never sees the stones, and I very much doubt that their sales reps know the cutters. This said, they offer generous return terms - so get one, see if you like it, and if you don't... there's plenty of others (even if your second favourite in the meantime has sold). http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.25&fCaratHi=1.35&fColorLo=J&fColorHi=J&fClarityLo=SI2&fClarityHi=SI2&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=vgood&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=999900&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1

Thank you for the response!  So you try the 1.3 ct stone with the lower HCA score?  I am very novice and don't know what dimensions will look best.  Can you tell me why you would agree with the HCA?  Is it a problem to have the table be larger than the depth?

Table larger than depth is not an issue in this particular case; what matters are the angles, and while I am not a fan of shallow crowns (which stone #2 most likely has), I would rather have that than a pavilion angle above 41°. The additional bonus with a shallow stone is that it can look quite large.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy either - precisely because of the large tables and (likely) shallow crowns, but that is a matter of personal preference.