Stephen Kretchmer Omega Tension .90 Round Set In Platinum

mshel

For sale is my Stephen Kretchmer Omega Tension set platinum ring.  I am selling the entire ring but can sell diamond alone if that's your choice.

Round Stone

VVSI

D color

Size 4

More pictures can be offered upon request.

Asking $5,500

Contact Michele @ mettnmic@att.net

Payments specifics and shipping options can be discussed at purchase.

post-134396-0-40378900-1406497674_thumb.jpg

post-134396-0-84276900-1406497691_thumb.jpg

post-134396-0-39366400-1406497705_thumb.jpg

post-134396-0-17477400-1406497719_thumb.jpeg

post-134396-0-05093800-1406497735_thumb.jpeg

post-134396-0-36514300-1406497745_thumb.jpeg

post-134396-0-58404800-1406497758_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Michelle,

A couple minor points ... the first several (3?) digits of the GIA grading report are obscured in the image you posted.  This is one of the older format GIA reports.  All photos are out of focus.  (Traditionally one would take a picture of the platinum hallmark, which would have the additional benefit of showing the condition of the metal itself.)

Consider getting the stone re-graded by GIA if you are planning to sell.  (A competent buyer should ask for this.) This looks for chips and other damage.  However, it will take weeks, and the stone must be dismounted before the GIA will look at it.

The out-of-date report and out-of-focus presentation may lose you some of the customers you really want.  You offer a substantial discount for a .90 GIA D VVS1 platinum ring -- IOW, it's a pretty good price -- so what you need to do is create a better selling package.

• Like 1

the first several (3?) digits of the GIA grading report are obscured in the image you posted.

I don't think they are. Old-style GIA reports had 8 digit numbers, IIRC, and in any case you can't verify online a pre-2000 report.

Michele - good luck with the sale! I hope you sell the whole ring; a Kretchmer original ring should be kept together.

• Like 1

Old-style GIA reports had 8 digit numbers, IIRC, and in any case you can't verify online a pre-2000 report.

That's right - DOH!  I should have remembered this, but wasn't ever interested in updating my own 1998 GIA report.  (By the time we get around to it, they'll have laser holograms, hopefully. :)

Michele - good luck with the sale! I hope you sell the whole ring; a Kretchmer original ring should be kept together.

I was contemplating snapping this up but didn't, because I would need a 6, not a 4.  It didn't seem the ring is amenable to being resized, at least in the conventional way.

So -- what's a buyer to do?  In a case like this, would YOU ask for GIA regrading ... on a D VVS1?  And is there a way to stretch the ring two sizes, or does this go back to Kretchmer for replacement?

Resizing a tension ring is always fraught with danger - to both the setting and the stone. Back to Kretchmer it goes; the nice thing about this particular ring is that it is pre-2006, so it was probably worked on by Steven Kretchmer himself, and it certainly is one of his own original designs, so I'd be loathe to having it resized in any case. Then again, I'm a jewellery collector...

I would not ask GIA for regrading (it would fit nicely on my wife's pinkie), but I would get someone I trust to give the stone an inspection, so that I'm sure there is no major damage to the stone that takes it "way out" of VVS1.

The problem with this is that as a buyer I would not necessarily trust that report if commissioned by the seller - so one possible way out is for the seller to agree to send it to an appraiser of choice of the buyer, however this requires a fair amount of trust on both sides.