Yellow Gold Halo On An F Colour Diamond

Byron03

Hi all,

I have purchased an F colour, .9 carat round diamond and am now in the process of deciding on a setting. The two options are:

A) solitaire 4 prong setting in white gold, with a yellow gold claw set band. This was my original idea so that the yellow gold didn't affect the colour of the diamond. Or,

B) yellow gold claw set band, with a cushion claw set halo in yellow gold, in order to make the diamond appear bigger. My question/concern with this however, is whether or not having a yellow gold halo around the diamond will affect the F colour of the diamond? Am I best to stick to option A if I want yellow gold?

Thank you!

Hi all,

I have purchased an F colour, .9 carat round diamond and am now in the process of deciding on a setting. The two options are:

A) solitaire 4 prong setting in white gold, with a yellow gold claw set band. This was my original idea so that the yellow gold didn't affect the colour of the diamond. Or,

B) yellow gold claw set band, with a cushion claw set halo in yellow gold, in order to make the diamond appear bigger. My question/concern with this however, is whether or not having a yellow gold halo around the diamond will affect the F colour of the diamond? Am I best to stick to option A if I want yellow gold?

Thank you!

I'm a novice and I'm sure others will chime in, but it's my understanding that with a colorless stone, you want to stick with ALL white gold or platinum to maximize the appearence of the stone! You use yellow gold with diamonds of a lower graded color as it will enhance the appearance of the stone, making it appear whiter than it is. If I'm wrong, please...someone else speak up. Also, I would never put a round diamond in a cushion shaped halo. Lastly, if you decide to go ahead with a mix of white and yellow gold, I would make sure your fiancé is ok with that. Personally I HATE the look and I'm not alone! Lastly right now, you see a lot of jewelry with white and yellow gold mixed. However, I think this is just a fad and will not be in vogue for very long. A wedding ring is forever...hopefully :-). Just my $.02. Edited by DLNOK

Thanks DLNOK, can I ask why you wouldn't put a round in a cushion cut? Appreciate any feed back to help make my decision. I have only seen photos of a round in a cushion halo online. I don't know if this will upload but this is what I was tossing up between. IMG_5058.png

Also - the smiley face is meant to be option B - I'm clearly new to this!

Hi Byron,

I'd echo pretty much DLNOK's comments, other than the one on the mix of different colour metals in jewellery: it's a very old technique, going back to antiquity - it just happens to be in fashion again now, but it was "there" through the ages.

As to why one wouldn't put a round into a cushion-shaped halo, traditionally the skill of a setter is that of matching setting to stone without creating gaps and without exposing too much metal. Purposely mismatching shape goes against that tradition, and I personally don't like the result; in addition, it may introduce weaknesses/fragility in the ring, but that depends on how well the setting is re-designed and re-fabricated to fit the new shape.

Thank you so much! That has helped me a lot. Especially understanding of why you wouldn't do a cushion cut with a round. I think I will stick to the original ring on the left. I am 100% sure that is the colour/mix, that is the only thing I am sure on :/ The mix of yellow gold on the shank and platinum/white gold prongs isn't everyone's cup of tea and isn't overly popular with a lot of people, I see A LOT more white gold which is why I have had trouble seeing many in person as most stores have the style, just in white gold. Thanks again, much appreciated.

David:  ...mix of different colour metals in jewellery: it's a very old technique, going back to antiquity - it just happens to be in fashion again now, but it was "there" through the ages.

Really?  I stand corrected!  I did say I was a novice!  ;-)

​

To Byron03:  Seeing the pictures helps a lot!  I really like the ring on the left…much more than I thought I would! The 4 prong setting in white gold will maximize the color of the stone nicely.  It's very pretty.  But what kind of ring are you considering?  Have you found his/hers rings that will go with that engagement ring?  If you haven't already, I'd look into that, just to make sure you don't have any problems AFTER giving her the engagement ring.

Edited by DLNOK

A couple of examples of "mixed colours". One going back to antiquity - a Langobardic fibula (bow brooch) from the late 6th/early 7th century, now at the Met in NY:

Fibula+longobarda.jpg

It's all silver, actually, but it is partly gilt and partly filled with niello.

One more recent example: the "Trinity" design from Cartier, introduced in 1925:

1925CartierAd.jpg

and what the most famous representative of the collection looks like today (the design has been in production for nearly 90 years!):

B4086100_0_cartier_wedding-bands_rings.p

Now, the fact that something is an ancient tradition doesn't mean you should like it - but a fad it isn't. :)

Byron03 - apologies for the threadjack.