We Are Looking At A 1.61/g/si1/good Round Diamond

sunshine118

Hiya i was hoping to get some advice on pricing for this ring.

we were quoted at £9k for this ring but were disappointed by the gia cut grade of"good"and were recently told to avoid "good" cut diamonds.

can anyone offer advice on whether this represents decent value?

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2165192529

this is the gia report.

Any helpwould be very much appreciated

many thanks

Without looking at the diamond you selected, the argument is that modern equipment is so capable in the hands of a skilled diamond cutter that anything less than exc/vg is a waste of a good stone.  You pay comparatively little for a superior cut, and the sparkle/fire/brilliance is all much better.

However, it also depends on where and how you intend to display the diamond.  Pendants and earrings, for example, don't have to be as good as a solitaire, because of where they are situated as you view them.  Stones in bracelets too are not as subject to stringent scrutiny.

If you choose a setting with a large single stone and gobs of melee (small stones) around it, I'm not sure how the rules change.  It seems to me the small stones are intended to distract the viewer from the main stone.  This can be used very advantageously by an expert craftsman, who chooses a very rare-but-included colored centerpiece diamond and then draws attention outward to the setting.  I think you'll find some nice finished examples on the DiamondsByLauren.com website.  Hope this helps!

Prices from competitive online vendors for similar stones (1.6x G/SI1) are somewhere between $10 and $14k. You are being asked to fork out $15000 or so at current exchange rates, but this presumably includes VAT of about $2500 and "a ring" which could be worth $200 or could be worth several thousands.

If my assumptions regarding VAT are correct, the diamond has been priced reasonably; the real issue however is whether it is the right diamond, particularly in terms of:

1. Cut

2. Visibility of the inclusions

You have seen it, and presumably compared it to other diamonds - how did it fare? Did you like it? Could you see the inclusions? Did they bother you?

For a primer on "what to look for" in evaluating diamond cut, here is a good article by GIA: http://diamondcut.gia.edu/pdf/cut_fall2004.pdf

(FWIW, I don't think I would buy it: it may well be priced competitively, but I don't like its proportions. At the end of the day, the main reason to buy a diamond is because it looks nice, not because it's priced fairly: it has no use other than symbolic and aesthetic.)

[...] This is called "damning with faint praise". :)

I would suspect that of the people just nominally shopping for an engagement diamond, perhaps 5-10% of those who visit your company's website consider a serious alternative to the traditional white round.  Like this loose stone, which is available in your current inventory --

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-pink-diamond-122ct-fancy-light-orangy-pink-internally-flawless-cushion-cut-gia-r5389

Something like this, worn on a bride's ring finger, is immediately different from the stones of (probably) everyone else in the room.  And it's technically affordable.  I doubt there's much of a marketing chance in first marriages, but 2nd or 3rd ones tend to have buyers looking for something a little different ... and they (usually) don't wear white.

As the saying goes, orange is the new black.  (Now, if I can just find a way to stop my wife from watching all the episodes on Netflix ...)

I think 5-10% is an overestimate, just based on the number of white rounds vs. other white shapes for sale (in general, not through DBL). But my comment was about the different importance that you and I attribute to clarity.

Sunshine118: apologies for the threadjack.

I think 5-10% is an overestimate, just based on the number of white rounds vs. other white shapes for sale (in general, not through DBL). But my comment was about the different importance that you and I attribute to clarity.

OK let's stipulate that everyone's going to start out looking for a white diamond for an engagement ring.  Anything else, the few who look beyond that, well, the number is statistically meaningless.

HOWEVER, of the people who look at the DBL website, I would say you've got pretty good pull.  Could it be as much as 10% of the viewers who are looking for an engagement ring?  No way of knowing from here, but those are very attractive pieces. I'd suggest that as the number of marriages increase, it's assumed the couples are older, more mature, wealthier ... And so, to have Yet Another marriage, you'd want something very different, if for no other reason than to try to change the luck.

As to the question of inclusions, most people should expect that colored natural diamonds are sufficiently rare that it's going to be hard to find a nice color without some visible markings.  And that's why it requires a more skilled jeweler to take that flawed stone and present it in such a fashion to maximize its beauty.

OK, you can Paypal me my standard shill commission now. :)

Getting back to sunshine118 ... you might also consider arranging your purchase out of country, and using the savings to give yourself a nice vacation in the process.  To do this you'd need to develop a short list of jewelers (and preferably even some stones to see) before your trip.  It's a half-mile walk down 5th Avenue from the Plaza on Central Park to the 47th Street diamond district, for example, but there are similar experiences to await you in the other world diamond meccas.