Input On Stones

mike714321

Hello, first post here. Looking for input on some stones I've found.

Comparison picture (right click and open in new window/tab for larger)

Narrowed_Down.jpg

1. Great looking stone, IS looks good, green "star" in ASET disappears a little around 4 'oclock, maybe not an issue. SI1 stone, crystal at 4clock as well, may be prongable?

2. VS2 stone, also great looking. Slightly more leak between arrows, but not bad. green "star" in ASET is more balanced, but more green.

3. Still waiting on actual images, but the HCA is in range. Arrows pic is a little wobbly in middle.

4. Still waiting on actual images, same good HCA, Arrows pic looks pretty nice except missing the little triangles between arrows around about a third of the diameter (10 to 1-ish). IF stone though!

5. Great looking stone, but it's exactly 1.00ct. ASET looks washed, but I think it's photography, not the stone.

6. Real pic looks a little lackluster, not super bright. Can't tell if it's the photography or cut. Arrows looks a little funny. Also, this had medium blue fluor, not too keen on.

7. This one "pops", but arrows look a little off. Also has a medium blue fluor.

What do we think?!

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mike714321

I don’t normally answer threads like this but since Davide is on vacation and no one else wants to step up, I suppose I’ll say a few things.

I don’t see any problems with ANY of the stones you’re considering.  The issue is separating the ‘best of the best’ out of the group.  That’s where it gets tricky.  You don’t have the data.  Even if the images were all taken under the same conditions you mostly wouldn’t have the data.  In particular:

#1 you can’t grade clarity from a photograph.  The way to decide what’s ‘prongable’ is to ask the setter, and/or the seller.

#2 HCA is irrelevant for this purpose.

#3 Color saturation in ASET’s is 100% about photography. 

#4 Brightness in pictures is 90% about photography.  The rest is about lighting.  You can get a little bit about this by comparing images taken by the same photographer under the same conditions but comparing images as you are doing here tells you nothing.

So what to do?  Start by choosing your dealer.  I presume these come from several different sources.  Instead of trying to pick a diamond based on the data, pick your jeweler and they use them as your ally in the hunt rather than as an interchangeable cog.  Choose them based on things like reputation, your feel for their credibility of information, your feel for their in-house grading scales and so on.

After you pick the dealer, get their advice on stones within their own system. 

Then get an inspection by an independent 3rd part that’s working for you, not them.  Look at it yourself.  Show it to your friends, your mother and so on.  Show it to the setter.  If there’s a problem, pick a different one.  If there’s a serious problem, pick a different dealer.

Thanks Neil for the input. These stones (except one) all come from the same dealer. All of them are online dealers, so I'm working in the avenue of pick the best based on what I have available to me, purchase, have the dealer hold in in-house once they receive it, send me as many photos as possible, decide on whether to have them ship it to me or not. I still have a return window after I receive the stone in case I don't like it, but it's easier to return it when it's still in their hands if their pictures show something I'm not digging.

Sounds like they're all great picks, but with the data I have, you don't think there's a way to pick out the single one to purchase?

Thanks,

Mike

Ask the dealer.  he/she actually has them in hand (I presume).  They can compare them side by side and serve as your eyes.  In the end, take a look yourself.  Any dealer worth considering will have a reasonable return policy (100% refund for any reason, at least 10 days inspection time, no restocking fees of any kind).

The dealer doesn't have them in hand. I have to purchase them, let the dealer get them in house, and then they can take pictures and compare them for me. If I like, they continue on to me. If I don't, then I get a refund and the dealer sends them back to whoever their supplier is. Thanks for the input!

Excuse me?  The vendor is asking you to pay for multiple stones so he can get them in and you can then be credited for those you do not buy?  That sounds highly unusual and make me wonder why the vendor does not have enough credibility with his suppliers to received the stones on memo.  Any of the dealers frequently mentioned in this forum can get multiple stones in to review for you and it should not cost you a dime.  Some vendors are not located in the heart of a diamond center, so they may incur shipping costs which may hinder how many stones they are willing to call in, but for those of us sitting in the heart of the NYC diamond district, it is painless.  That said it is always good to narrow your choices down to a small handful primarily for your own sanity as well as that of your jeweler, especially when it gets to the point of comparing stones that are virtually identical.  Here you are comparing qualities from IF to Si1.  The first step might be for you to outline your priorities.  Size, color, clarity, cut.  Which takes precedence over the others.  What is the lowest quality you are comfortable with and go from there.

Edited by GeorgeDI

Yes that is correct. I can't afford to purchase all of them, just one. The company seems credible, I've found many reviews in forums and their experiences. I realize at this point that I still have quite a few. I am contacting the seller to have them get from their suppliers pictures. Those are coming in slowly. As I build out my list, it's obvious that some aren't as great looking on paper and I'll toss them, leaving me with less.

It's obvious that in the price range I'm in, I'm only looking at H or I stones. Carat isn't of much importance, all are at least 1.00. Clarity is probably the 2nd most important to behind cut, cut is king and I'm looking at the idealscopes/ASET images to help here. From my research, and AGS triple 0 is more likely to be a better stone than most GIA triple Exs, but none are AGS that I've found, so I have to really compare my Idealscope/ASET images of all these that are all GIA triple Ex diamonds.

Assuming same weight, same cut ... it's quite clear that you will wind up with #7.

The medium fluorescence doesn't bother you enough to knock the stone out earlier.  Your array of clarity puts the VS1 in the middle.  When you graph these on price per carat, you will probably notice a slight bend on the FL stones.  That's your best "value".  (It might be only a couple hundred dollars.  However, that's probably the price difference from I to H, or perhaps even to G.)

HOWEVER, you've taken pains to leave out all the other things we might like to look at, so this is only a psychological solution from the data you've given, and the way you've given it.  You could just as easily go down to VS2 or SI1.  It's just that ... you won't. :)

A deposit to vet seriousness of interest & cover shipping costs is understandable but I think it's a bit unusual to expect someone to pay the full price of multiple candidates up front, especially if it's not a local store (which isn't clear).  Depending on the number of stones you want to see and how long it takes to review them may also leave some limitations with many peoples credit cards. 

That aside, it seems like you have a good sense of what you want and are working on the details of process of elimination which is important in being able to make a final decision.  Everyone's priorities are different so it's really a matter of what you find to be your perfect balance of specifications for the value.  I personally would give a little more consideration to color over clarity as you are likely to see more of a difference with your naked eye between an H & I color than you would between an IF and say, an eye-clean VS2.  Again, it's all about balance of value while sacrificing as little as possible to the naked eye.

As Neil may have noted above it is difficult to make comparisons of stones using pictures taken different ways.  I think the best comparisons made are those from images taken by the same person because they offer a more consistent comparison of the details you are trying to examine.  Many of the pics in your original table have been heavy altered in regards to increasing the saturation and/or contrast of the colors.  If your vendor is capable of taking the photos you want then hopefully they can provide that consistency once they get the stones you've narrowed down on hand. 

By the way, some vendors here in NYC closed this week or have been hit and miss in their availability in coincidence with the bench jewelers vacation so that might be the cause of a little delay in getting some stones.