Except What The Insurance Company Says?

Unsure what to do

I lost my center stone. I sent it into my insurance company to have it replaced. My lost stone did not have black visible marks even though it was an I1. When they sent my ring back it had a very large black mark almost right in the middle of top of stone and many more visible on the side of the stone. They stated they upgraded my stone from f-g to E color. Went from 1.01 to 1.14 ct. I hate the black marks! I'm not sure what to do. I really want to return it because i no longer love my wedding ring! But am i expecting too much?

Usually there's another company involved in the middle who is actually doing the replacement.  It sounds like they're making a stab at being reasonable.  It's a bit hard to specify exactly what sort of I-1 you had and that makes it a bit tricky but it doesn't actually cost them extra to accommodate you so usually they try.  Have you asked?  Who's the insurer?  Who called the stone I-1?  Who called the one you lost an I-1?

I had the certificate from my first stone i provided to my insurance when I got the policy. The certificate is not in depth as my most recent one i received. I trust my insurance company(USAA). They have always (26 yrs) been great! USAA. I feel as though I should have been notified about the visible flaws when I was told about the "upgrades". I clearly stated the flaws my stone had were not visible and i wanted to keep it that way.

I1's nearly always have eye visible inclusions, the issue is in the boundaries of exactly what it is, what the lighting is like, whose eyes we're talking about, and so on.  That's why 'eye visible' isn't part of the grading standard.  USAA owns a jewelry company and they directly sell diamonds themselves for replacement.  It's a little odd as a way to do replacements but, that said, they're really pretty reasonable people.  Have you called them to discuss your concerns?  Have they offered to get you a different stone?  It's not an 'upgrade' if you don't like it better.  

Edited by denverappraiser