Should I Be Nervous About These Feathers In Si2?

Jacob321

Hello!

In process of buying an older cut and found a stone recently that met all of the specs except when it came to clarity - came in at SI2. It's a GIA certed "I" and is seemingly eye clean. I couldn't see any feathers from a few inches away.

However, from reading about all of the possible durability issues down the road, the long feather that reaches from the edge of table to girdle has me questioning moving forward. So, I figured I'd reach out to the internet and see if anyone had any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a scan of the plot:

post-134323-0-14893700-1402974252_thumb.png

The good news:

1) Clarity characteristics leading to an SI grade "do not materially affect integrity or durability" by definition; otherwise they become I grade characteristics. The fact that the feather seems to be not very visible is also encouraging.

2) The diamond has been formed under tremendous pressure and temperature stresses. It tolerated more stress - again with high pressure and temperature conditions - when it was being cut. It seems to be an old cut from the plots, so it may well have suffered further dings, bangs and bumps (at much lower levels of force, but still...) for another hundred years of life as a cut gem, and the stone is still whole. There is no reason why things should suddenly take a turn for the worse NOW.

The not-so-good-news:

1) I haven't seen the diamond, and even if I had, I'm not a setter. My evaluation of risk is that of an informed lay man. A good setter would know - after seeing the diamond, not based on a GIA plot - whether to set the stone and if so how (do I sit a prong on top of the feather to hide it, or do I set the prong away from it so that the prong does not transmit further stress directly on the feather?).

2) Even Monsieur de la Palisse was still alive a quarter of an hour prior to his death...

Do you have a return period on the stone? Is that adequate to get it seen by whoever is going to set it? Is the dealer who you are buying the stone from also going to set it?

Thanks for the response - Both are reassuring points in the first section and #2 in the not-so-good news section is most likely the best response in the history of the internet :)

It's from a reputable dealer as far as old stones go and he seems to feel that it's not something to worry about. I was thinking about having an independent appraiser take a look since but that's a good idea of having the person setting it take a look.

Thanks again

Bear in mind that there are (potentially) two aspects to deal with:

One is the setting risk - and for that an expert setter, particularly the one who is actually going to do the work, is definitely the right person to talk to.

The other one is whether you need an appraisal regardless, to get a more general expert opinion on what you bought and if required to document it in a fashion that is suitable for an insurance company.

In either case, I hope this is the right stone; let us know what happens, and any photos of old cuts are always welcome on the forum (particularly by me!)