Tiffany Lucida Diamond

lucida1084

Hello everyone, 

My gf has kindly dropped hints that she want's a tiffany lucida diamond for the e-ring. However the ring is way overpriced so looking for a ring that is most similar to it. After much research and speaking with jewellers it seems the square radiant fits the bill. I've narrowed by choices down to 3 stones, but having difficulty choosing between them: 

1. .96 ct E VS2 (eye clean), nice looking stone but slight crushed ice affect, 67% depth. £4500

2. .91 ct D VS1 (eye clean). very well cut, nearly bang on cut to lucida. 80% depth. £4200

3. 1.02 ct E VS2 (eye clean). nice shine/sparkle/brilliance. 68% depth. £4800. 

I am in between number 1 and 2 and both seem to be nice rings with 1. being slightly bigger. However I am in love with the cut, symmetery and lines of number 2. It seems to be the closest to the Lucida. My issues is the depth. I have been told standard depth should be 60% - 70%. I also lose surface area on the stone making it look smaller than it actually is.

However it seems the Lucida has greater depth so it may be nearly identical to it? Can someone confirm that. Basically need to determine if 80% is a big issue. Also Should number 1 be priced cheaper than 2.? 

Thanks for the help in advance. I will also try and post pictures to give you a greater point of comparison. 

1) We have no information on what the stones look like other than your observations (which are fine, but you know them better than us). Depth and table are practically meaningless to compare any cut, but particularly fancy cut diamonds (e.g. radiants and cushions) have looks that depend much more on the faceting style, since that is much more variable than it is for rounds. In other words: no way of telling whether one diamond or another looks "more" (or less) like a Lucida by having only depth and table percentages.

2) If she wants a Lucida - and specifically a Tiffany Lucida - before you change plans because of perceived value (to you), I'd advise a bit of "fact finding" as to what is value to her...

3) All things being equal, yes, an E/VS2 would be cheaper than a D/VS1. However, things are not likely to be equal, starting from your observation that an 80% depth stone faces up smaller than a 67%. Again, we have little information to even guess one way or another - but it is very possible that stone #2 is priced at a discount because of the depth.

My gf has kindly dropped hints that she want's a tiffany lucida diamond for the e-ring. However the ring is way overpriced ...

Hello,

You started out by identifying what your girlfriend wants, and then you proceeded to make intelligent, logical arguments to the group on this forum WHY it's easier/better/cheaper to shop the diamond instead.

Doesn't work that way.

When the ladies get together, it MUST be a Tiffany LucidaYou have no options on this.  Not unless you can convince your girlfriend -- NOT us guys -- why she should accept your superior line of logic.

Sorry, guy.  We'd be happy to help you all you can handle with a bazillion reasons why the Tiffany 500-600% markup isn't healthy for you.  We could help you find a diamond that, hands down, is brighter, cleaner, clearer, more fire-y, all the attributes you want, and still come in under the Tiffany budget.

This is the essence of your future relationship. Your best option is to educate her, and hope she hasn't set her plans in concrete yet.  If she's accommodating, and you work your hardest at it, you can have a fruitful shared relationship in the years and decades to come.

If OTOH she will not accept less than a [Tiffany Lucida], your path is clear also.  Accept it, and all the future compromises with logic that will follow, or be done with it.

I guarantee this will come up as early again as next year, when you (intelligently) want a Nissan over a Ford car. (Or whatever.)

Good luck!

Option A -- Trash the brand.

Anything from "blood diamonds" to wild rumors "from the Internet" will do.  Personally, I like "the design / fashion house / consortium / conglomerate which Tiffany is part of is in direct competition with my own portfolio's design / fashion house / consortium /  conglomerate".

Option B -- Go Cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-Platinum-1-06ct-H-VVS1-Lucida-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-/161333241880?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item259035e818

This is a damned fine Lucida stone, and it has all the documentation, and you can clearly see from the listing that the seller is willing to take at least a 40% haircut (to try to get something back).  Only thing you might have to do is clean it and resize it, probably.  Oh, but it is ... USED.  But such a great value!

There's lots of other Lucida stone offerings on Ebay.  Even a pair of men's diamond cufflinks.  You should drop a hint back at her that you really like the cufflinks.  Otherwise, just starting bidding on Ebay Lucida stuff in general.  You might get really lucky!

1) We have no information on what the stones look like other than your observations (which are fine, but you know them better than us). Depth and table are practically meaningless to compare any cut, but particularly fancy cut diamonds (e.g. radiants and cushions) have looks that depend much more on the faceting style, since that is much more variable than it is for rounds. In other words: no way of telling whether one diamond or another looks "more" (or less) like a Lucida by having only depth and table percentages.

2) If she wants a Lucida - and specifically a Tiffany Lucida - before you change plans because of perceived value (to you), I'd advise a bit of "fact finding" as to what is value to her...

3) All things being equal, yes, an E/VS2 would be cheaper than a D/VS1. However, things are not likely to be equal, starting from your observation that an 80% depth stone faces up smaller than a 67%. Again, we have little information to even guess one way or another - but it is very possible that stone #2 is priced at a discount because of the depth.

Thanks, very helpful. Makes sense. I did make my decision based on your depth comment though. I was a bit worried that the depth thing was an issue given most forums say anything above 70% is bad, but seems the Lucida is a deep stone, and the rock was too beautiful to pass up. 

My gf has kindly dropped hints that she want's a tiffany lucida diamond for the e-ring. However the ring is way overpriced ...

Hello,

You started out by identifying what your girlfriend wants, and then you proceeded to make intelligent, logical arguments to the group on this forum WHY it's easier/better/cheaper to shop the diamond instead.

Doesn't work that way.

When the ladies get together, it MUST be a Tiffany LucidaYou have no options on this.  Not unless you can convince your girlfriend -- NOT us guys -- why she should accept your superior line of logic.

Sorry, guy.  We'd be happy to help you all you can handle with a bazillion reasons why the Tiffany 500-600% markup isn't healthy for you.  We could help you find a diamond that, hands down, is brighter, cleaner, clearer, more fire-y, all the attributes you want, and still come in under the Tiffany budget.

This is the essence of your future relationship. Your best option is to educate her, and hope she hasn't set her plans in concrete yet.  If she's accommodating, and you work your hardest at it, you can have a fruitful shared relationship in the years and decades to come.

If OTOH she will not accept less than a [Tiffany Lucida], your path is clear also.  Accept it, and all the future compromises with logic that will follow, or be done with it.

I guarantee this will come up as early again as next year, when you (intelligently) want a Nissan over a Ford car. (Or whatever.)

Good luck!

Haha, this is probably true, but hoping logic prevails here. Hoping an amazing proposal somewhere nice should do the trick. We'll see though, need to draw the line on illogicality sometimes. 

Option A -- Trash the brand.

Anything from "blood diamonds" to wild rumors "from the Internet" will do.  Personally, I like "the design / fashion house / consortium / conglomerate which Tiffany is part of is in direct competition with my own portfolio's design / fashion house / consortium /  conglomerate".

Option B -- Go Cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-Platinum-1-06ct-H-VVS1-Lucida-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-/161333241880?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item259035e818

This is a damned fine Lucida stone, and it has all the documentation, and you can clearly see from the listing that the seller is willing to take at least a 40% haircut (to try to get something back).  Only thing you might have to do is clean it and resize it, probably.  Oh, but it is ... USED.  But such a great value!

There's lots of other Lucida stone offerings on Ebay.  Even a pair of men's diamond cufflinks.  You should drop a hint back at her that you really like the cufflinks.  Otherwise, just starting bidding on Ebay Lucida stuff in general.  You might get really lucky!

It's tempting, but still above budget. Plus I don't think I'd spend that kind of money without seeing, maybe just a bit old fashioned.