Help With Choosing Between Two Round Brilliant Diamond Options

retsof

Good day. I would like general feedback on which one of the following diamonds you would purchase and why. Pricing for both is at or bellow Rapport, so the price points are good. Details are as follows:

GIA 2176428750: 1.71 carat, 7.61-7.66 x 4.74 mm, F SI 1 Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Flourescence None, Depth 62%, Table 57%, Slightly thick Faceted 4%, Crown 0 35.5 degrees, 15.5%, Pavillion 40.6 degrees, 43%                              

GIA 2155930822: 1.72 carat, 7.67-7.69 x 4.76 mm, F VS 2, Very Good, Very Good, Excellent, Flourescence None, Depth 62%, Table 60%, Thin to Medium Faceted 3%, Crown 36 degrees, 14.5%, Pavillion 41.6 degrees, 44%

I have viewed both diamonds, though not side my side unfortunately as one is in LA the other NYC. I have verified GIA certs as well. The 1.71 is excellent cut and was quite appealling, seemingly eye clean, yet it's SI1. The 1.72 carat displayed some extreme fire in my opinion compared to some other ex/ex/ex rounds I viewed at the F/VS2 level and has a larger face up area than the 1.71. With that said, it's very good cut and may have more light leakage than an excellent.

I'd appreciate any commentary. I've viewed over 20 diamonds and have narrowed it down to these two. The diamond is for an engagement ring I'll purchase this week.

Thanks!

Edited by retsof

I have to go "sight unseen", and as such I think #1 would be a better bet. The combination of a steep-but-not-high crown and steep pavilion in #2 (as well as a large table - which I personally like less) is a far less "safe" combination, and while there may be people who like it more than the other one, they will be relatively few.

The argument by size is measurably true, but you'd never see the difference of 0.05 mm in real life, particularly once it's been set.

This said, you sound like you preferred #2... and your preferences (actually "hers", I assume) are what matters here, not mine or those of some statistical average.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm confused, but you mentioned that the 1.72 displayed some extreme fire compared to some ex/ex/ex you've viewed. But how does it compare to the ex/ex/ex YOU'RE considering?  Also, you mention that the 1.72 may have some light leakage.  Why would you want a stone like that?  I might be misunderstanding your priorities, but it seems like clarity is of more importance to you.  If that's the case, it's your business, but I've always been taught that CUT is KING and a better cut stone will always be more beautiful, not to mention, more valuable than a VS2 vs an eye-clean SI1. However, you're the one buying the stone and you're the only one who's looked at both of them.  Maybe you could get both parties to send you picks in various types of lighting. But the bottom line is…buy the one that makes you happy!!!!

Edited by DLNOK

GIA 2176428750: 1.71 carat, 7.61-7.66 x 4.74 mm, F SI 1 Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Flourescence None, Depth 62%, Table 57%, Slightly thick Faceted 4%, Crown 0 35.5 degrees, 15.5%, Pavillion 40.6 degrees, 43%                              

GIA 2155930822: 1.72 carat, 7.67-7.69 x 4.76 mm, F VS 2, Very Good, Very Good, Excellent, Flourescence None, Depth 62%, Table 60%, Thin to Medium Faceted 3%, Crown 36 degrees, 14.5%, Pavillion 41.6 degrees, 44%

The stones seem very close.  A lot of earring "pairs" are much further off.

But assuming you're not shopping for earrings, go with the cheaper one.  Save the money toward your next jewelry investment.

I think you'll find it easy to internally justify, either way you choose.  Without seeing the full offerings, I'd be skeptical if there was a $300 valuation difference by the sellers.  And that buys a pretty nice bottle of champagne for the night you pop the question. :)