B2C Jewels -

Silento

Recently I made 2 attempts to purchase a rock from b2c jewels, both times they told me that the diamond was already sold after I placed the order and 1 time even provided the payment. I have been only looking at b2c jewels through the use of diamond review search tools.

I felt like I can trust them but not so sure now.

I still cannot believe that they couldn't reserve the diamond from the cutter after they confirmed that they were available.

Twice after I placed the order, I immediately made arrangement to propose to my gf of 6 years.

Does anyone know of any sellers that have similar policy as b2c jewels?

Most of the diamonds you see in the database are 'virtual inventory'.  This applies not jut to B2C but most of the stones listed.  They're actually owned by a 3rd party who is has provided the data and the sellers compete for who can actually make the sale.  It's a fairly efficient system but it can get frustrating if the sellers or the other customers arent' so fast or efficient about keeping the data fresh.  The solution is to buy the ones billed as the signature series or whatever the particular dealer is calling it.  These are normally exclusive inventory to them.  They also usually cost more, in part for this reason.  Is it worth it?  Maybe.  that's your call, but no, I don't think B2C is any worse than everyone else about this.

Recently I made 2 attempts to purchase a rock from b2c jewels, both times they told me that the diamond was already sold...

One of the 4 stones I bought online this year came from B2C.  I had attempted to buy a stone previously, and the image they sent (after a week, while it was in transit to them) was disappointing enough that I cancelled before they shipped it.

A week after, I bought a different stone from them, and didn't bother with a request for a photograph.  The stone came, looked fine, and I immediately accepted it.

HOWEVER, the credit for the first stone still hadn't been returned to my account (after 10 business days).  I commented in an email to them, and received an immediate profuse apology for the mix-up. (The credit was quickly issued.)

B2C is a typical online operator, based in Manhattan, similar to the two in Atlanta GA (Solomon Bros and Union Diamond) in that they target midrange customers looking for "American Standard cut" stones.  There's 2-3 others out of Houston.  B2C is different from Blue Nile (out of Seattle) which has an exclusive supplier.  It's different from the three large premiere vendors, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin and James Allen.

If you see a stone you like offered by B2C it may also be offered by several other vendors, and the price may differ by as much as $500.  (The same is true for other nonexclusive vendor arrangements.)

I think a fair fraction of the B2C goods are actually exclusive to them, and a fair fraction of the BN inventory is in this virtual sales model by the way.  It's usually pretty easy to tell.  Do a narrow search in the diamond finder, sort the results by an arcane measurement like depth percentage and then scan the list to see if everything else matches.  As you point out, it's not unusual to see the same stone offered by 3 or 4 different vendors.  The final test is to look at the GIA/AGS report.  If it's got the same report number, it's the same stone.