Feedback On Diamond, 2Ct Gia Ex, H, Si1

ThunderFan

Hello,

I'm considering a few diamonds on JA. I've narrowed down my search to specifications to meet my budget and parameters I would hope to result in a great diamond (around 2ct, GIA graded excellent, H Color, VS2-Si1, none - faint fluor, Depth 59.5-62.5, Table 53.5-57.5), but i'm wondering what questions or image requests I should have for JA in reference to "light performance." Also i've asked a few times if you can see the small black speck on the upper left hand portion of the diamond w/ an average naked eye. Obviously this is subjective and a tough question for them to answer and they have been a bit vague in their responses saying "It's a beautiful diamond" and what not, is there a better way for me to ask if this stone is "Eye Clean"? 

Here is a link to the rock. I'd be obliged to get all your opinions. 

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.03-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-317146

Thanks,

On paper (and the photo/video) it looks fine. I would have exactly the same question that you have... namely whether the crystal + 2 cavities are visible with the naked eye. However, other than asking JA explicitly whether they consider it eye-clean (from X distance, if you wish), I wouldn't know how else to ask. If they keep not answering, change stone... it's not as if what you are looking for is very hard to procure: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=2.00&fCaratHi=2.10&fColorLo=H&fColorHi=H&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1

If you know how to interpret reflector images and find them useful, then ask for them (I find well taken ASET images better than IdealScope ones), but I don't think they are necessary unless you intend to compare this stone with others.

Googled "width of fingerprint groove" ... a partial answer came back from a LE officer indicating they can distinguish .234mm from .235mm.  Now look at your speck (table cavity) in the James Allen video animation.  Whatever size screen you're looking at this on, remember the edge-to-edge dimension of the stone is 8.14-8.17mm.  On my monitor, the diamond image is about 3 inches tall; the speck looks like 1/10th of a mm.  So I'm looking at a 9X animation, meaning the actual speck is 1/9th of .1 mm, or ~.01mm.

One greasy fingerprint on your stone, IOW, is going to have a groove (or ridge) imprint between 20-25X the size of that marking.  (The other cavity looks similar.)

The crystal, which breaks the surface of the stone, is going to have a different type of visual impact.  It's larger, maybe 1/4 of a millimeter, visible in the static image.  Unlike the cavities, it's not in the table.  Its size is going to be very close to one of those fingerprint grease markings (a single groove).

All of this would be academic at this point, except for the fact that the stone costs $20K.

There is one positive to this crystal marking: it's distinctive.  It's going to be extremely easy to identify this as your stone in the event it is ever recovered from a theft.  No one will ever be able to alter the stone without destroying much of its value.

Using pricescope instead of the above diamond finder, selecting H color, excellent cut and 2 ct. size, it's better than SI1, about middle range for VS2, and a cheap price for VS1.  There aren't many James Allens in this configuration, meaning you really have a superior cut for the price.

So it comes down to how YOU like the crystal.  Do you see any religious figures (or common household objects) in the shape?  That's a way to personalize, to internally accept the stone with its marking.  We have a stone we call The Headlight... but that's another story.

Edit -- we think we see a Playboy logo (bunny) from one angle.  If you don't like that, another good name might be "Rorschach".  :)

Edited by jginnane

As Davide says, on paper the stone looks great.  That said, I have seen this kind of inclusion many many times over the course of my 30 or so years in this business and once the stone start getting a little dirty (totally normal in the course of daily wear), this inclusion will probably be easily visible to the naked, untrained eye.  You could ask them to line it up with a prong, but I think it is too far in to be covered.  If you follow the link Davide gave you above, there are plenty of other similar stones to choose from.  You have a valid reason to hesitate.  Try to find a stone with smaller, more scattered inclusion.  It will likely be more eye clean than this particular stone.

Good luck.