Need Advice: Round 1.03 I If Vs Round 1.13 H Vvs2

thebachelor

Sorry, I don’t understand your question.  Are you asking us which one to buy? 

There’s some important data missing so I’ll ask a few questions to start:
The first is if we’re talking about buying, selling or something else entirely. 
Who graded the stones? 
Do you know any of the other details? 
Have you seen either or both stones?
Of the 100,000 stones you could have chosen, why these two?  (what were your search parameters)?

Assuming we're talking about a purchase, is this a local store, Internet deal, private seller or something else?  Do you care?

Where are you?  (country)

Sorry, I don’t understand your question.  Are you asking us which one to buy? 

There’s some important data missing so I’ll ask a few questions to start:

The first is if we’re talking about buying, selling or something else entirely. 

Who graded the stones? 

Do you know any of the other details? 

Have you seen either or both stones?

Of the 100,000 stones you could have chosen, why these two?  (what were your search parameters)?

Assuming we're talking about a purchase, is this a local store, Internet deal, private seller or something else?  Do you care?

Where are you?  (country)

Yes, I am asking which one to buy.

It's GIA certified. 

What other details do you need to know aside from cut, color, clarity and carat?

This is a private seller and I asked to look for a 1 carat ideal/excellent cut round diamond with G-H-I and VVS1-VVS2 specs. She showed me two stones she has with the above mentioned specs.

I'm from the Philippines and know little about diamonds.

The easiest way to see the details is to link directly to the GIA report in their database.  It's at www.reportcheck.gia.edu

If you can't figure out how to work it, just give us the GIA numbers and we should be able to look them up.

Missing are the polish, symmetry, fluorescence, crown and pavilion angles, girdle details and plotting diagram with key (among other things).

Actually, neither one of these falls within your specs, even though your specs are pretty broad.  Why those specs, and why aren't you sticking to them (Sorry to be Socratic with you but it really is an important issue)? 

By 'private seller' I meant an individual with a stone for sale from something like an estate where they have one or two items and you're choice is to take it, possibly while arguing about the price, or move on.  It sounds like what you've got is a private jeweler who is ordering things in for you.  That's not a problem, by the way, it's just an importantly different conversation.

I'm not up on the rules in the Phillipines.  Import taxes can be an important variable in this discussion as well as sales taxes, VAT type taxes and so on.  Any idea where you stand on these?

Edited by denverappraiser

The easiest way to see the details is to link directly to the GIA report in their database.  It's at www.reportcheck.gia.edu.

If you can't figure out how to work it, just give us the GIA numbers and we should be able to look them up.

Missing are the polish, symmetry, fluorescence, crown and pavilion angles, girdle details and plotting diagram with key (among other things).

Actually, neither one of these actually falls within your specs, even though your specs are pretty broad.  Why those specs, and why aren't you sticking to them (Sorry to be Socratic with you but it really is an important issue)? 

By 'private seller' I meant an individual with a stone for sale from something like an estate where they have one or two items and you're choice is to take it, possibly while arguing about the price, or move on.  It sounds like what you've got is a private jeweler who is ordering things in for you.  That's not a problem, by the way, it's just an importantly different conversation.

I'm not up on the rules in the Phillipines.  Import taxes can be an important variable in this discussion as well as sales taxes, VAT type taxes and so on.  Any idea where you stand on these?

I don't have its GIA numbers but I can request.

1.03 - Excellent symmetry, Very Good polish

1.13 - Very Good symmetry, Good polish

I don't have complete details aside from those. I just decided on those specs and purposely wanted a broad one to have a lot of options. I could consider anything as long as it's within GHI color, VVS1-VVS2 clarity or better and excellent/very good cut. I just limited my budget to maximum of $12,500. Yes, I have a private jeweler sourcing for me.

The first one fails on clarity.

The second one fails on cut.

There are possibly other issues but I sort of doubt it.  Details are important in this business.  I would specifically be curious about that 'good' symmetry grade.  

Pricing is easy enough to shop with some qualifiers using the 'diamond finder' utility at the top of the page.  Most of these are out of the US and things need to be modified to account for international shipping, taxes, and the general pain of doing business overseas.  There's a definite value to having a local supplier although it's up to you to decide just how much that value is.  

Expand your shopping range to include both of these stones and I get over 2000 stones in the database here.  That's what I mean by big range.   :)  All but one of them is cheaper than both of what you've chosen and hundreds are less than half.  That doesn't make yours bad deals, but it does give some pause.  

The first one fails on clarity.

The second one fails on cut.

There are possibly other issues but I sort of doubt it.  I would specifically be curious about that 'good' polish grade.  

Pricing is easy enough to shop with some qualifiers using the 'diamond finder' utility at the top of the page.  Most of these are out of the US and things need to be modified to account for international shipping, taxes, and the general pain of doing business overseas.  There's a definite value to having a local supplier although it's up to you to decide just how much that value is.  

Expand your shopping range to include both of these stones and I get over 2000 stones in the database here.  That's what I mean by big range.   :)  All but one of them is cheaper than both of what you've chosen and hundreds are less than half.  That doesn't make yours bad deals, but it does give some pause.  

The clarity of the first one (1.03carat) is IF. Isn't it a very good clarity grade?

What criteria shall I use to decide which is 'better'?

#2 is bigger.  GIA gave #1 a better clarity and a better symmetry grade.  #1 is a little bit cheaper.   As with Davide, I wouldn't choose either one, but 100% of the issue is meeting YOUR requirements. 

I have further details on the 1.13 H VVS2 (Very Good cut)..

FWiW, I think that before you can even get into comparing two stones, you want to prioritize what is most important in YOUR criteria.  Let's say that both these stones are perfectly priced for what they represent.  But are these still the stones you would want if you understood all the criteria?

Let's take a typical setting: G-color, SI1 (eye-clean), 1+ carats.  Every jeweler's bread and butter.  You, on the other hand, want a stone that has clarity so clean it's difficult to find any specks with a 10X loupe.  You want a high grade of cut to maximize light return.  (Good.)  But you don't care as much about fluorescence or color grade, and in terms of size, you could vary by 10% as long as within your arbitrary budget.

Perhaps if you could use the diamondfinder and select just three stones, not more, as examples that meet your criteria.  Tell us what you like and don't like about each.  Then these jewelers can look at the GIA reports and tell you a bit more about the stones.  It's not difficult... and what you get as feedback can be directly applied to the two stones you're looking at, for which we don't know the GIA report numbers.

$12,850USD :

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-164412

$19,585USD:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.318-g-vvs2-round-diamond-ags-104054185004

Both are outside your budget but I'm sensing this is a more flexible area than some of the other criteria.  These two stones are from the respective vendors' premium collection, and represent the best of the best.  (The first is my personal favorite -- it's an impressive, 'meaty' stone.)

If you drop color requirement to "I", these 3 stones appear (and two are easily in your price range) --

$9,750USD

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-327387

$9,900USD

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-164428

$14,050USD

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.53-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-164439

Personally, I'd keep Excellent / VG cut and reduce clarity from VVS1-VVS2 to VS1, VS2, or SI1.  But that's for my search, not yours.