Gia Round 1.00Ct J/vvs1: Inclusions & Using A Microscope To Spot Them

ronk15a

I recently got back a 1.00CT J/VVS1 graded by GIA. The stone was cut in Belgium and came back excellent cut, excellent polish, very good symmetry. My “international cutter†said it would come back a VG. So I’m happy with the overall results….It started out as an ugly 1.11CT K-L/VS1

Now for the question:

The diamond has been graded VVS1 by GIA the clarity characteristics as per the GIA report: cloud, pinpoint, intended natural, natural, extra facet. I was able to see all aspects except for the cloud and pinpoints respectively with my 10x loupe. So I decided I needed to see the inclusions with my Gemolite Mark-V microscope. The microscopic cloud and pinpoints are located on the table: Center/left.

Even with GIA’s plot and inclusion sub-type I cannot see the inclusions. I tried all lighting options, (dark & light), different angles, zoom variations, etc… to no an avail…

Can anyone tell me if the microscope I’m using should be able to see a GIA VVS1 inclusions? If so; any tips on viewing them!

FWIW: I spent 2-3 hours looking, cleaned the stone several times, all to no avail….I saw dust on the stone, (even after cleaning) I saw the indented natural, natural, extra facet, but not the cloud or pinpoints. Please Help!

Thanks for your insight and expertise; they are all greatly appreciated and much anticipated.

Regards R.K.

The scope should be fine.  They're easier to see, by the way, if the stone is wet.  make a solution of distilled water with just a drop of dish detergent in it.  Apply with a q-tip although I actually use a sponge swab I bought from these guys because there's less chance of lint.

www.harmonycr.com

You know where it is by orienting the extra facet.

Use the darkfield.  By the way, the darkfield works better if you make the background darker than the 'stock' that it comes with.  I've got a piece of velvet down at the bottom but other people I've seen use a little piece neoprene, photo background paper or whatever is handy that's really really black and non-reflective.  Just drop it in the bottom of the well.  

Edited by denverappraiser

So just to reiterate: The solution using distilled water and one "eye dropper" amount of detergent. Mix it. Then take a swab and drop a "dropper" amount on the stone. Pick up the stone using the scope tweezers. Apply a piece of super "black black" non-reflective material in the well, and whala!

• 4 weeks later...