Diamond Nexus Versus Russian Brilliants

rachelb810

Hi, I am looking for the best quality simulated diamond. I have been doing some research and I believe it may be between Diamond Nexus and Russian Brilliants? I find Moissanite too   "rainbow-y." Any thought on which is better, or a comparison of the two? Are there other companies you suggest are better? 

Also, I am concerned regarding discoloring of the stone over time. Any thought on this?

Thanks so much.

I won't give advice on a preference because it has to do with the cutting of the individual stones.  They are not all the same and neither one of those will tell you much in terms of real data in individual stones.  You just sort of have to pick one you like.  Those are the most expensive CZ's in the market, by far, and I haven't seen much evidence to suggest you actually get much for that premium, but I've seen several stones from both companies and they all have been just fine. They are both convincing simulants. 

Discoloration isn't a problem with any decently made cubic zirconia.  Even with the early stones, the problem is that they get lighter, not darker.  If you're starting out with a 'D' color, there's nowhere to go.  If they make an 'M' or some such thing I can imagine a problem but outside of grading masters I don't think I've ever seen such a thing.  For most people, if you're going to buy a fake, you might as well buy a fake of a good one. 

I'm with you in that I don't much care for Moissanite either although that's mostly about the color (and the price).   They do have their fans. 

Edited by denverappraiser

My name is Matt Meis and I'm the owner of Russian Brilliants.  I invite Rachel to take our Russian Brilliants Challenge and preview one of our stones.  Decide for yourself how you like it before making a purchase.  The preview just requires a credit card authorization, not a charge.  Visit our website, email us or call us on the phone.  We look forward to speaking with you.

Edited by Matt

Hi, I am looking for the best quality simulated diamond. I have been doing some research and I believe it may be between Diamond Nexus and Russian Brilliants? I find Moissanite too   "rainbow-y." Any thought on which is better, or a comparison of the two? Are there other companies you suggest are better? 

Also, I am concerned regarding discoloring of the stone over time. Any thought on this?

Thanks so much.

My name is Matt Meis and I'm the owner of Russian Brilliants.  I invite you to take our Russian Brilliants Challenge and preview one of our stones.  Decide for yourself how you like it before making a purchase.  The preview just requires a credit card authorization, not a charge.  Visit our website, email us or call us on the phone.  We look forward to speaking with you.

Hi rachelb810!

My name is Cassie Weger, and I am the Public Relations coordinator at Diamond Nexus. I want to personally thank you for your interest in our company and our gorgeous rings! We actually offer two different types of stones: Our diamond simulants and our Pure Carbon Lab Created Diamonds. What our customers love best about our diamond simulants is how similar they are to mined diamonds and our lab diamonds are diamonds, just not from the ground. 

We stand behind our product with a 30-day Money Back Guarantee, Our Lifetime Performance Guarantee, and Our Lifetime Stone Loss Guarantee. 

We would be happy to send you a sample of our product so you can see the beauty yourself before making a decision. Feel free to contact me directly at Cassie.Weger@diamondnexus.com! Again, thank you for your interest in Diamond Nexus! I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you and best wishes,

Cassie Weger

• 4 weeks later...

Diamond cuts are one of the most crucial factor in diamond selection. They give the real beauty to this stone. That's why no compromise should be done over the cuts.

There are many options that you can adopt when selecting diamonds for yourself.

Motherhood and apple pie are generally good things too. But what do your comments have to do with the OP's question or with the rest of the thread?

mydiamonds' comments have everything to do with which simulated diamond to buy.  Cut is the ultimate deciding factor in how realistic any imitation diamond appears.  Don't take anyones word for it.  Compare competing simulated diamonds side by side and decide for yourself which one looks the best.  In the end your opinion is the only one that matters.

I think you are not understanding spammers...

The point on cut is taken, just as is the one on motherhood and apple pie. All good things. None of the comments in this latest bout of posting (since yours and Cassie's above) have been helpful to answer the OP's question, just the statement of pretty obvious things - and in mydiamonds's case free advertising with zero contribution.

• Like 1

Hi rachelb810, I have actually owned quite a number of simulants as well as both the Diamond Nexus signature series and the Russian Brilliant. They are both very similar in brilliance and the cut is good to very-good in quality. However, I did not like the color (both very white D) and the fact that over time they did wear on the edges of the stone. I also do agree with the moissanite as being a bit too flashy and does not exactly sparkle like a nicely cut diamond. I wasn't a fan of the greenish hue either (I-K), but I believe they do have a new near colorless version (G/H), but I have yet to see it. I currently own a Quorri DymondIX (dual coated) and PureDiamond (100% carbon stone). I do prefer the DymondIX as the coating gives the stone a more realistic E/F color and adds wear resistance. how much exactly, I am not sure, but so far the stone has withstood some decent daily wear for that last year without an issue. In comparison, You do pay a premium for the coating, but I guess I feel better knowing its there and again, the look is a lot nicer with it. I also noticed that the cutting on the DymondIX was much better with the cleaner cut facets. I am not sure if the Russian Brilliant stones and Nexus stones are machine cut or cut by hand. It doesn't really say on their website. You will have to inquire. Either way, its up to the look your after and really how you can afford to spend. Simulants are very affordable but your expectations should not be too great as the thousands in savings are offset by hardness. The pure carbon lab diamond I own is spectacular, but not cheap. It was around 30% less than a diamond in its equivalent spec range ($5600 vs $7400) which is still a premium to pay for a loose stone.  In the end, look at what the company offers, if the stones are coated, how they are made, their policies and of course BBB record (you can tell a lot about a company just from the complaints or lack of complaints they have). Good luck!

• Like 1

Rachel810, LoveDiamonds19 makes some very good points.  Regarding coatings on simulated stones may I suggest you read the following article about coatings. http://russianbrilliants.net/how-to-avoid-marketing-hype-when-purchasing-diamond-simulants . It was written by Suzan R. Flamm, assistant general counsel of the Jewelers Vigilance Committee .  She discusses the coatings advertised by many simulated diamond providers and the claims some of them make about the benefits of their coating.  I think it will help you in your research.  Best wishes.

It's interesting there's this self-manufactured little thread about fakes.

I agree there are times when you want an "artificial diamond".  For example, if you are traveling domestically or internationally, it makes good sense to leave your genuine rocks secured at home. There's risk, and there may even be customs issues unless you bring along documentation to show ownership.

Beyond cases like this, though, I don't think CZ needs a [non-sponsoring] voice in a diamond forum.  Everyone know where to go to find the fakes.  If you represent your engagement ring to a girl as a diamond and she later finds out it's just an ersatz knockoff, a cheap imitation, then ... good luck with that relationship.

• Like 1

Matt, Thank-you for the info and link. I did take a look at the article and the author its actually talking in regards to how the simulants use the terms and not really in relation to the difference between a non-coated and coated stone. The companies who do coat the stones normally have technical backing and tests to show that these coatings do actually exist on the stone and resist the elements. I am sure having a coated layering on my DymondIX stone must give it benefits than one that doesn't have a coating. Besides the obvious color difference, I did notice that the stone was less porous and my hair products did not leave a film on the stone. It was much easier to wipe off...etc. I believe this is the same type (but not exact) technology used with coating metals and other products for less friction. I'd have to keep reading to make sure :)  

jginane, good intuition! I use my quorri ring when abroad and in places that I would rather not be wearing my expensive rings. It also has to look genuine as I am particular on the jewellery I wear. But, I do know some others that truly cant afford a diamond, so the next best thing is a simulant. There is nothing wrong with that and as long as she knows about it, all is good.