Need Advice On Two Center Piece Diamonds

Rdstar

Hi

I am going to buy an engagement diamond on line for my girlfriend, I have the ring which looks like Tiffany Novo. I'll mount it once i receive the diamond. I'll get the mounting done with my g/fs best friends dad's jewelry store(so I guess he'll take a look at the stones) Here is my question.

I have two choices and want to see which one is a better choice or value. Please help me.

**Option 2 is about $700 more expensive that Option 1**

**Both options are eye clean**

**Both are GIA certified**

1) 

Cushion-Cut Diamond  

Very Good-cut, D-colour, SI2-clarity, Cushion-Cut, 0.90-carat Diamond

Girdle:

Medium to Very Thick

Length/width ratio: 1 Table %: 59% Measurements: 5.38 x 5.37 x 3.66 mm Fluorescence: Faint

2)

Cushion-Cut Diamond  

Very Good-cut, F-colour, VS2-clarity, Cushion-Cut, 0.91-carat Diamond

Girdle:

Slightly Thick to Very Thick

Length/width ratio:1.01

Table %: 59% Measurements: 5.41 x 5.38 x 3.68 mm Fluorescence: None

Edited by Rdstar

There is no way of knowing with the information you have.

Bear in mind that SI2 is not necessarily eye-clean to everybody's standards (VS2 that are NOT eye clean are very rare), and very few people (if any!) can see the difference between D and F once the diamonds have been set.

The problem with cushion cuts is that short of seeing them (or at least several good quality photos), you have no idea what they will look like simply by reading the information on the report. They could look very similar or totally different.

1.  Since you're doing online searching, try finding similar stones with a normal (not thick or not lopsided) girdle.  You'll get more for your buck (instead of dead weight).

2.  Visit a jewelry store at least once, and look at a D color versus a G color.  (G is lower than your second stone.)  You may find this is good enough.  In the top six color categories, each drop is like an additionl baby's tear has dried on the surface of the stone.  VERY, very slight.  Yes, you'll be able to see it when they're next to each other, but unless you've been staring at other womens' diamonds obsessively for a few years (and mentally grading them), you will not ever notice.

3.. Agree with Davide that SI2 may not be eye-clean.  Try making SI1 your bottom clarity grading, but include an additional step up (SI1 to VS2) just to see if any online stones otherwise meet your criteria and budget.

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm limited to the number of stones I see online since I want the cut to be square size. What would your recommendation on max length to width ratio be? I'm sticking to max 1.05 or 1.07?

Color is not important to me as long as it's not over H

Also do  you think girdle of slightly tick to tick is too much? How about thin girdle? Is that not a good idea? easy to break? i found a great stone but it's thin girdle

I'm doing my search mostly on Bluenile.ca I appreciate if you guys take a look at their search and see if you can find something to recommend to me please.

I'm looking for min .90 Carat, min H color, square looking, GIA, very good cushion cut. Also my budget is max $3500 CAD $, but obviously if I can save that'd be a bonus.

Thank a lot.

Edited by Rdstar

1) If you want the stone to appear square, 1.07-1.08 is about as high as you can go; some mileage can be gained by orienting the stone along the finger length, but most people notice at 1.10 that it's not square.

2) Girdle thickness as described in a GIA report means very little with cushion cuts; you need to see the stones to understand how it's cut. Thin girdles normally are not all that fragile - then again, it depends on "where" they are thin, and how you intend to set the stone.

3) GIA (and actually anyone else worthy of repute) do NOT grade cushions for cut. It's basically impossible, given the variability in shapes, form factors and cutting patterns to come up with a single "grade". You NEED to see the stones. Don't shop blind, unless you are prepared to send several diamonds back.

Edited by davidelevi

Thanks again.

Diamonds are so much more expensive in my town than Bluenile website. I would need to order one in the next few days. I appreciate if you take a look at their site and inventory. What do you think of the importance of Florescence?

Thanks again

Jason

Here's a couple samples from James Allen.  I'm using them because they have real animations.  But in the interest of disclosure, of the 4 stones I've bought this year, 2 came from Blue Nile.  I know they were "fully priced", and not the best cuts I could have gotten. But they were good enough for my needs.  Anyways, back to JA --

Depth 67.6; Table 67.0% --  (Price 3960USD)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.96-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-304480

Depth 65.8 Table 65.0& -- (Price 4500USD)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.95-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-125608

Finally, a "small" table, 58% from JA -- (Price 3770USD)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.94-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-316968

Note that JA tends to specialize in superior cuts, so these may not be the same budget you're looking for.

Up to a certain point, a smaller table means you get to see more crown faceting.  Nothing wrong with that.  In fact, this can be good, depending on the nature and location of inclusions.  Smaller also corresponds with what is called the American Standard type of cut (speaking strictly for rounds).  With cushions, I would defer to any of the actual diamond experts here, but they'll all say what Davide did -- you really have to see the stone live to make your judgement.

You indicated there was a time crunch involving this decision.  Buy a placemarker, and revisit the subject when you have adequate time.  We could say "if you spend a lot of money, you're likely to get a better stone:", but this is not always true.  Even with all the time I spent studying this stuff online, I had two FAILs and three accepted stones.  (Fingers crossed on the one that gets here tomorrow. :)

Thanks, Here are the specs of the diamond I'm considering for $3400 CAD dollars which equals approx $3000 USD. Please let me know if this is a good value? Thanks

Cushion-Cut Diamond  GIA certified Eye clean

Very Good-cut, F-colour, VS2-clarity, Cushion-Cut, 0.91-carat Diamond

Girdle:

Slightly Thick to Very Thick

Length/width ratio:1.01

Table %: 59% Measurements: 5.41 x 5.38 x 3.68 mm Fluorescence: None

Thanks, Here are the specs of the diamond I'm considering for $3400 CAD dollars which equals approx $3000 USD. Please let me know if this is a good value? Thanks

It's the second-cheapest of all the .91 F VS2 listings, from all vendors, and the cheapest one Blue Nile offers at $3196USD (by over $100).  Might have something to do with the [Cloud, Crystal] inclusions, or just as likely something else we can't detect from the printed page.

You will probably be HAPPY with it.  Why?  Aside from the girdle, there's nothing apparently awful about the stone, at least without seeing it (which is what Davide keeps saying).  Go ahead, pull the trigger.  BN is graceful about timely returns.

Your girl friend's best friend's dad who runs the jewelry store, might not be completely unbiased.  Depends on how much of his business is diamonds.  Whatever comments he makes, ask him to explain in detail.  If he offers an alternative (from traded-in jewelry), consider carefully -- this could be the best deal around, even if it's not exactly what you're looking for.  Just make sure there's a GIA certificate and don't pay a lot for melee/pave.  ("Trust, but verify.")

• Like 1

Repeat for the last time:

THE "CUT" GRADE HAS BEEN ASSIGNED BY BLUE NILE ON THE BASIS OF TOTALLY INADEQUATE INFORMATION.

To boot, BN is not forthcoming as to "how" nor to what difference does "very good" vs. anything else make.

You can decide whether to trust this or not - but to me trusting a non-transparently assigned vendor determined grade feels a bit like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas...

• Like 1

GIA certifies nothing.  They actually object rather strenuously to that word.  They're a lab that assigns certain grades to certain stones.  Nothing more.  They DO NOT assign a cut grade to cushion cuts.  None.  Zip nada.  That's coming from the dealer.  And a grade without applying a scale means less than nothing. 

It's like your car dealer describing a used car as a 'creampuff' without bothering to explain what that means.  It must mean it's in good shape, right?  Maybe, but what if you later find out that he's talking about the color?  Even if it's accurate in some sense, you just haven't learned anything useful.  More specifically, you know nothing new about the car from this description.  Since you didn't know it was about color, it wasn't even helpful for that and since you thought it was about condition and you stopped asking questions, it actually impaired your quality hunt rather than helping it.  You can decide for yourself if you've learned anything about the dealer.  At best it's useless, at worst it's an attempt to deceive. 

Wide variation in girdle thickness on cushions is typical, and not a problem.  Avoid extremely thin because of durability issues but otherwise don't sweat the girdle thickness description.

Thanks denverappraiser, really appreciate your input. So, would you feel comfortable with thin to very thick girdle?

I have 3 stones here, could you please please help me pick one to be mounted on a Tiffany Novo shape ring. I rather have it more square. Thanks a lot

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaCU#diamonds_pid=LD04358639

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaCU#diamonds_pid=LD04345152

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaCU#diamonds_pid=LD04313359

this last one is a bit over my budget, i'm looking for the best value if possible

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaCU#diamonds_pid=LD04249846

Thank you so much!

Different repetition, then I'll stop posting on this thread. YOU CANNOT EVALUATE A CUSHION - EVEN APPROXIMATELY - ON THE BASIS OF THE INFO ON THE LAB REPORT. The only things you can do are:

1) "Spray and pray" - get one, then if it doesn't work return it and get another

2) Change dealer to someone who provides more information on the diamonds than BN does.

In my experience, if you buy from Blue Nile, they charge your card when they ship.  It's an overnight shipping.  When you receive the stone, the next business day, you have a certain amount of time to decide whether to keep it, or return it for a refund.

Each online vendor has a different procedure for returns, but typically, you might go to the Post Office and mail it back with Registered / Insured coverage. Twenty bucks is typical of the cost.  This parcel might take 3-5 days to get there.

Following that, the vendor will check your parcel carefully, and then put your refund in a queue for processing.  This can be the most annoying part of the return, because your money is tied up for a week to 30 days, and if you want to see another stone, you can put out more credit or wait for the first one to clear.  Some credit card companies will issue provisional credit if you call and say that a credit is forthcoming from the vendor, but this is an extra step in the procedure.

So: the BN "crapshoot" worked out OK in my case, because we didn't have a deadline, and because I could float several stones out (from the same or different vendors) if necessary.  Where it might not work in your case is that you want to make the One Right Decision, and you're at a self-imposed deadline time.  And the vendor you've selected is not one whose policies and procedures are conducive to your needs.  And you can't even furnish sufficient information so that the professional jewelers here, donating their time gratis, can help you make a better or safer decision. 

If you go with a placeholder, my early idea, you have time to even consider different cuts, some of which are more popular, some of which have a larger top-down view, some of which are classical.  Actually it's even better than a fudge -- involving Her in the careful decision process is the best way to show how considerate as a spouse you will prove to be.  it's really fun to do a project like this together!

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I have no deadline, but just want to get this done. I think I've selected what I want so far and I should be ordering it by tomorrow. Let me know what you think, here it is:

0.91-Carat Cushion Cut Diamond

GIA Certified

Cut:Very Good

Colour:G

Clarity:VS1

Carat weight: 0.91Cut

Depth %: 68.2%

Table %: 61%

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Girdle: Thin to Very Thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: Faint

Measurements: 5.43 x 5.33 x 3.64 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.02

The price is about $3000 USD.

Thank you

Edited by Rdstar

You previously mentioned you were considering some diamonds from JA.

Are you aware you can get them to ASET test up to 3 diamonds? This will provide you (and us) a better insight on the performance of the diamond rather than just using the numbers/specifications you're providing.

Some other retailers also offer the same service and/or other more in-depth analysis. You are better of utilising such services from retailers with a good return policy, rather than decide purely on measurements & certifications.

I just received the final diamond in my set.  .90 Round.  It's nice.  Now I have to go into the metalworking phase.

There's some relief I got past this phase,  You'll be happy, too.

However, if you've done this without involving that other person, there's a potential risk you've bought a nice piece of gravel that's going to sit in a drawer (or safe deposit box) for a number of years, and when you finally get around to pulling it out, you may find your tastes or interests have changed.  In which case your expenditure would seem nearly wasted.

A below 1 carat stone isn't unique in any way, and you won't have a great resale experience if you ever have to go that way.  Since it's a cushion cut, it may be even more difficult to convert back to cash.  Yes it's beautiful, but why would anyone want to buy from you when they can go to Blue Nile etc. themselves?

So ... this isn't about the desire to spend money, to choose a stone wisely, and/or tick off a project as completed.  It's about all the rest of it.  If you propose with a stone and custom ring, what happens if it doesn't work out?  Would you still offer her the ring as a "left hand or right hand" ring?

That part's all up to you, and frankly doesn't have much of interest to this forum.  We, all of us here, can't tell much about the stone you've picked out, and the professional jewelers here have told you why.  Me personally, I think you should go ahead and get the stone, BUT THEN think very, very carefully about whether you want to send it back.  Don't wait until the last day of the allowed return time, either.  Talk to your parents, and your friends, and decide if this is right for YOU at this moment in your life.  Good luck.