4 Different -- Rounding The Turn!

jginnane

Surprise!  Blue Nile's Asscher today was acceptable.  That means we're 3/4ths of the way home (not counting the setting).  But first, some Bad Photography for Neil --

post-134047-0-38022300-1400085842_thumb.jpg

This isn't to demonstrate my photo skill, but rather to give a sense of relative proportions.  The round is going to have a diameter slightly larger than the Asscher, but is going to seem "smaller" than the trillion and marquise because of the nature of the cut.

And now some slightly better-focused images of the three acquired stones --

post-134047-0-78514300-1400086174_thumb.jpg

post-134047-0-79401100-1400086189_thumb.jpg

post-134047-0-54471400-1400086201_thumb.jpg

Now comes what could be the hard part -- developiong a unifying design theme.

I've suggested to Mark Morrell, who has not yet committed to this project nor given a price quote, that a unifying theme of 3-1-4-2 points could be Pi.  (Beyond that, I haven't elaborated much.)

There's an excellent 1998 movie "Pi", involving New York Hasidim and the neighborhoods of Chinatown, and an Ang Lee 2012 movie "Life of Pi" -- good too, in a very different way. (I mention these as a way of providing a little context.)

In terms of creating platinum earring settings, there has to be a pretty literal translation, so "squaring the circle" seems an achievable design goal for the Asscher and the Round.  (If you need to be 4-Sigma or Mensa to get the joke, it's not working.)

On the two novelty-cut stones, I've asked (1) the trillion be mounted with the long side down, and a metal loop added behind the tip so a short (1.5 cm) melee chain could be added, and (2) the same thing on the marquise.  Both stones are intended to overhang a little below the ear lobe.  The short chain is to add a flashing kinetic element (but not interfere with hair).

So, on one ear, we have, top to bottom,

Round in top hole

Trillion in lower hole  (VS Blue fluorescent)

short chain from trillion (kinetic display) ;

and on the other ear,

Asscher, top,

Marquise, bottom, (VS Blue fluorescent)

short chain from marquise (kinetic).

Incidentally, the metal loop could be a sub-theme or further customization, like a designed "blob" of platinum with Mark's signature polish.  We really want there to be unifying elements between the four earrings.

Question -->  (Everyone chime in, please!)  Can you think of a pi-related visual element (including perhaps a visual pun) that could be further worked into this theme?

Another -->  Is there a stone with an unusual or different faceting versus the Round that you might use to create the impression of a single point?

Thanks!

John

I haven't been following your other threads, so sorry if I am missing some context.  For a diamond "point" you could use an Ice-Flower cut, though they aren't too common.  A similar look could be achieved by setting a round brilliant upside down (culet facing out).  Another option would be a rose cut.

For a pi element, since there will be a dangle on each ear (legs of the pi symbol), you could have a horizontal bar above each top stone.  You could even curve the left edge of the left bar and add a curl to the bottom of the right dangle.  If sitting next to each other, the earrings would loosely resemble a pi symbol.

For a pi element, since there will be a dangle on each ear (legs of the pi symbol), you could have a horizontal bar above each top stone.  You could even curve the left edge of the left bar and add a curl to the bottom of the right dangle.  If sitting next to each other, the earrings would loosely resemble a pi symbol.

Thank you!  This is a very creative response. But I have to tell you, when we reading and writing from Xeonphon's Anabasis in high school, we didn't write a stylized pi.  I'm afraid it's just a word character, in lower case a tabletop with 2 little legs.  To do anything more is to fetishize it -- like putting a FORD or CHEVY sticker on the back of your pickup truck.  (Or gluing Swarovski crystals on your cell phone.)

It's the right kind of thinking, though, because we want people to get the association. Around the 4-corner stone (Asscher) a round platinum ribbon halo?  Circling the square. Around the round? A square; "squaring the circle".  An illustrated, obvious mathematical conundrum, shy of laser-etching the first 1000 digits of pi (in Arabic) on the diamond itself.

And even though pi is a universal constant, the reference has to be recognizable to everyone.  That means, no Pinyin symbols (my wife's Chinese); no paleo-Hebrew script (I was taught by Jesuits, practically the same thing).

About the Ice-Flower -- I'd really like to see one in person.  Unusual faceting, it faces 25% larger than a similar round.  The illustrations I could find show it mostly held by a girdle bezel, and it would seem to go great with Mark Morrell's kind of custom platinum work (see mwmjewelers.com).  A Belgian trademarked cut, it's apparently popular and stocked around England, of all places.

This is an instance of regrettably being fashion-forward a step too far, unless I can find a merchant who has a few stones to view in the US.  Most likely we'd have to pay for the cutting, or import a suitable stone from Europe... and then, everyone would want to know what it was, because "...it doesn't look like a diamond".  (I bet Davide has the whole backstory on this cut.)

It looks like in standard form it's a deep cut, like a princess.  But this could still work for an earring if it's bezel-mounted.

Edited by jginnane