Adiamor Affinity Ideal, Shallow Crown, H&a? Am I Blowing Things Out Of "proportion" ?

Dio-Mund

Hey there, new to the site and recently purchased my gf a simple .58 carat Round Brilliant diamond G color, VVS2 clarity, Affinity Ideal cut (Adiamor) GIA reports, excellent cut, polish, and symmetry. It will be set in a classic, simple trellis style tapered white gold setting. (Awaiting shipment so have not seen the diamond for myself)

Researching after the fact, the Adiamor website describes this about the Affinity Ideal Collection diamonds: "What makes the Affinity Collection diamonds more than just an excellent cut diamond is that the polish and symmetry must be graded no less than Ideal (ID) by AGSL standards or Excellent (EX) by GIA standards. This ensures that each diamond in the Affinity Collection will radiate the most sparkle and brilliance."

They then describe the qualities of perfect hearts and arrows and state:

"Hearts and Arrows

is the name for the unique pattern of shapes visible from the top and bottom of a precisely cut round diamond. Only diamonds with a perfect combination of table width, depth, polish and symmetry will display these magnificent shapes clearly. Each diamond of the Affinity Collection is cut to well within these standards."

So I researched H&A, looked at some complex charts, used the HCA calculator,etc,etc and it's seemed that my diamond fell outside some of the parameters, that would make it a shoe-in for hearts and arrows, such as a more shallow crown angle of 32.5 and a steep pavilion angle of 41.4...table is within spec at 57% as is the depth of 61.7. Although the steeper pavilion is supposed to balance it out...after all it's symmetry is "excellent"

Here are the numbers:

post-134254-0-92955400-1399591773_thumb.jpgpost-134254-0-71012100-1399591793_thumb.jpgpost-134254-0-51934800-1399591851_thumb.jpg

So it's clear to see from the basic HCA score that this diamond will still shine with the best of them, coupled with excellent polish, and symmetry. But it does seem that the diamond proportions are slightly different then those of the "typical" Ideal cut diamond.

This is just curiosity getting the best of me, because I have no doubt that this diamond will be beautiful and fiery and my soon to be (hopfully) fiancé will no doubt be mesmerized by the sparkle of this thing on a daily basis. After all, I didn't purchase the diamond FOR its hearts and arrows but more for its perfect imperfections.

Just wondering if anyone with more expertise could "shed some light" on this thing :)

Sorry for the length of the post and over-use of quotations marks. Just wanted to have the info there.

Eric

I'll defer to the experts here because my first reaction isn't positive.  From everything I have read polish and symmetry and not major factors in evaluating a diamond so why the focus on that?  You said you chose this diamond for its "perfect imperfections" yet you opened by saying you haven't seen it in person yet.  It may or may not matter, but did budget come into play at all?  Did you choose this diamond over others because it fit a budget or because you felt it was the best diamond for you?  Do you mind sharing how much you are paying?

Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent in the original post. Basically I purchased this particular diamond for its ideal cut, clarity and colour in the particular carat size I was looking for. Given that this was a triple Excellent GIA rated diamond, that fell within my budget. Similar priced diamonds in comparison sacrificed either cut, or colour other combinations..so I was happy with this choice and the fact that it was considered to be an Affinity Ideal cut diamond as per Adiamor. That being said this diamond costs 2297.00 usd.

I didn't post because I thought I was going to be dissappointed with the purchase but because I noticed after the fact (I know total newbie thing to do hehe ) that on paper I couldnt figure out why it was rated as high as it is by GIA. Just was curious if anyone knew something about the variances. But unless it's noticeably flawed or isn't eye-clean, I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

I will admit to becoming slightly obsessed with researching diamonds in the past few weeks lol.

I'm sure it will be fine.  I'm not an expert on crown and pavilion angles, though I spent much time researching the same in October/November.  As far as price, the Diamond Finder on here lists 6 vendors showing that same exact diamond in their virtual inventory.  Obviously, if you've ordered it, it would not still be available to them.  Two of them had a lower price than yours, one was the same and three higher.  The prices range from low of $2,132 to a high of $2,696.

If you like the diamond, I'd say you got a pretty good deal and you should be happy with your selection.  

Thanks for looking into that cjdw :). I wish I had found this forum beforehand...although I can live with paying pretty well the middle of those figures. Dealing with Adiamor has been pleasant, they have responded and communicated in a very timely matter, confirmed my order by phone in less than 6hrs, I messed up my order originally and they were quick to contact me, so a good experience thus far.

I think I'll have to follow up with pics when it arrives :)

Dio-Mund: I think the confusion here is that you are looking at 4 things that - although somehow related - aren't quite the same:

1. Adiamor has decided to create a marketing category that it calls "Affinity". It is a pure marketing prop and it means nothing in the context of cut quality (beyond the lab-assigned cut grade). As cjdw points out, they don't even have an exclusive access to their "Affinity" stones, and as you know your stone does not meet strict classical criteria (which BTW does not mean it's not beautiful).

2. GIA (and AGS) have a cut grade that takes into account polish, symmetry, proportions and other factors to arrive at an overall "conclusion" on how well cut a diamond is. This goes from Excellent to Poor for GIA and from 0 (Ideal) to 10 (Poor) for AGS. There are those that feel that GIA has been too generous/inclusive with its top "Excellent" grade, but I must say that I have never seen a bad looking GIA excellent cut; it is however true that they do look different from each other, whereas AGS Ideal are much more consistent in appearance.

3. Symmetry grade: it is more concerned with the diamond being cut in parallel planes and with facets joining properly than with optically apparent symmetry.

4. H&A: the appearance of a hearts and arrows pattern (through a viewer, BTW, you can't really see the hearts without it) is due to a combination of symmetry (optical) and specific proportions. It is not - in my opinion - reasonable to say that an H&A diamond is cut better than a non-H&A; there are very nice diamonds that do not show H&A.

This said, given the proportions of "your" diamond, I agree that it's unlikely to show an H&A pattern. Does it matter? If you wanted H&A, yes it does. If you don't mind either way, then it doesn't. Simple.

(BTW - a VVS2 will be eye clean. You need not worry about that)

Thanks for the in depth reply, Davidelevi...that definitely puts things in perspective.

I'm sure it will be beautiful. I'll definitely have it looked at/appraised when I get it...obvious can't put it through the same battery of tests as you could a loose diamond. I will definitely post my findings and perhaps post in the bling section :)