Expert Advice Needed: Should I Buy This 0.54 Carats I Color I1 Clarity Rb?

MrSatki

Hi all

I've been looking to purchase an engagement ring for sometime now and this particular rock caught my eye. 

40x Magnification
post-134236-0-90858800-1399042881_thumb.jpg

IdealScope

post-134236-0-16337900-1399042919_thumb.jpg

GIA Cert

post-134236-0-41488400-1399042942_thumb.jpg

Cut: Excellent
Color: I
Clarity: I1

Carat: 0.54
Price: USD $960

Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Good
Scintillation: Good
Spread: Very Good

HCA Score: 3.3

A gemologist did check it out physically and state that he feels that it will face up "eye clean".
However, is it weird that there isn't an obvious black star contrast on the IdealScope, does that mean the table will leak light?

So what do you guys think? It is a good deal?
My budget is rather tightly fixed at USD $1000

Contrast and leakage are not the same thing. If anything, this diamond leaks "less" than one with an obvious "star" of arrows, because you get the arrows reflecting back at 0° tilt. That's not necessarily a wholly good thing, because more of the diamond will switch to "black" when tilted.

The IS image is quite typical for a diamond with a pavilion angle over 41° - notice the lighter ring just under the table: it's not leakage, but it's not as bright as the rest of the diamond.

Is either a big deal? Not in my book, and not for less than $1000.

Contrast and leakage are not the same thing. If anything, this diamond leaks "less" than one with an obvious "star" of arrows, because you get the arrows reflecting back at 0° tilt. That's not necessarily a wholly good thing, because more of the diamond will switch to "black" when tilted.

The IS image is quite typical for a diamond with a pavilion angle over 41° - notice the lighter ring just under the table: it's not leakage, but it's not as bright as the rest of the diamond.

Is either a big deal? Not in my book, and not for less than $1000.

Thanks for the reply David! A rather technical explanation regarding the tilt angle, but okay, so is safe to say that the diamond is pretty balanced (?) not too bright in the center but isn't too dark either?

I apologize before hand if the above question makes no sense. 

So, in you opinion, based on your vast experience in comparing diamonds, how "ideal" is the above diamond especially since the HCA score is 3.3?

It depends on your definition of "ideal" and "balanced". AGS would not call it ideal, for example.

The issue is whether you can find something significantly better staying within the $1000 budget. Have you considered lowering weight to below 0.50? It makes a great different to the price, and not much on the size (though this particular 0.54 is quite spready)

It depends on your definition of "ideal" and "balanced". AGS would not call it ideal, for example.

The issue is whether you can find something significantly better staying within the $1000 budget. Have you considered lowering weight to below 0.50? It makes a great different to the price, and not much on the size (though this particular 0.54 is quite spready)

Yes I have. However, my gf really likes the classic 6 prong/claw setting and in the local shops I have been shopping around all basically told me that it would be a bad idea to mount too small of a stone with a 6 prong ring. I think they are just trying to up-sell me with the most ridiculous shop daring to state that for a 6 prong ring, the minimum stone weight must be 1.5 carats. That is not true right?

I guess my main concern is the end result/look of the ring. Do I get a better quality smaller diamond which may look even smaller in a 6 prong ring or stick with this as I do think it is good enough but yet am afraid of being disappointed.

Haha, I'm driving myself crazy... Why can't we just propose with an apple? 

You can propose with a Coke can ring, if you want. I "kind of" proposed with a ring made out of a braided wood twig... my wife still keeps it.

The point on the 6 prong setting is a reasonable one, though I'd say that 1.50 is definitely exaggerating things, and a lot depends on how the prongs are shaped. This said, I don't think the difference between 0.54 and 0.48 is going to be significant in that respect, and I'd put my vote in for at least a 1 carat stone to look "not swamped" - unless you are going to spend thousands on the setting itself, which would be rather self-defeating, I presume.

If you go just a tad below the .50 carat line to .47/.48 you will save money without sacrificing the visual appearance.

Insofar as the 6-prong ring; we have set .25 to .33 carat stones in this setting. The ring is built to the spec of the diamond.

You're being fed BS by that jeweler.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!
Wow, Barry I figured that much but then again the logic behind "more prongs = more blockage of light" did make a lot of sense.. I wonder how many got suckered into buying a bigger rock cos of that.

Anyways, I went shopping again and found this particular B&M store, quite small with only 3 outlets as compared to the bigger names here with outlets almost in every shopping mall.

They have this smaller diamond which seemed to be priced wrong:
At SGD729 which is about USD505 (the price equivalent to the online payment rate and import tax included)
Here are the specs:

GIA 2146558354

Measurements:    4.58 x 4.50 x 2.77 mm
Carat:                    0.35
Color:                    I
Clarity:                  IF
Cut:                      Excellent

Depth:               60.4%
Table:                58%
Crown Angle:    33.5
Pavilion Angle:  40.8%
Fluorescence:   None

There are no pictures but I did see it, to me it looked really sparkly brilliant with hearts and arrows when viewed through the scope. Thing is, I cannot wrap my head around the price, a similar K IF at 0.36 carat is priced at SGD120 more.
Is this some marketing gimmick or did someone genuinely make a mistake on the price?

Regardless, that will be a steal right?

I did ask how the pricing for their loose diamonds are done.

The sales rep told me that stones from all around the world are gathered at the their main HQ/office where they get priced and distributed amongst their outlets. Which is why they have a strict no discount on diamonds policy but they are able to negotiate on the settings. 

So the next thing on price that I asked was are there hidden costs, but nope, SGD729 is the all-inclusive price for the stone. That will be the price I pay even if I were to just buy the diamond without any setting. 

Did not probe further as I didn't really want to draw too much attention on it, what else should I ask? 

Edited by MrSatki

Not much, since you have seen it and like it. There are quite a few others (0.3x I/IF) at that price or thereabouts, so there is nothing particularly suspicious about it (this surprised me too - but here they are: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=0&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.30&fCaratHi=0.35&fColorLo=I&fColorHi=I&fClarityLo=FL&fClarityHi=IF&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1). It is significantly smaller than the 0.54 (view the attachment at 65% magnification; it's "bigger than real" in the forum thumbnail):

post-11046-0-17381800-1399214345.png

Edited by davidelevi

I have to agree with Davide again --

The two earring sets we lost in December were ~.32 carat and .42 carat.  The smaller stones were just little points of light, the kind of thing you'd give a teenage daughter on her first piercing, perhaps.

In fact..32-.35 carat constitutes the upper boundary of "melee".

So this looks like a beautiful stone, but seems a little small to fully appreciate as an engagement ring.

BTW, since you're quoting in Singapore dollars, I assume you've been to Vivo Diamonds at 57 Tanjong Pagar Road.  It's a pleasant little shop, if priced mostly for tourists. On our recent visit we wandered south away from Chinatown one afternoon, and found this street shop behind Raffles.  Always a good idea to look and get a sense of what size/dimensions for your stone are acceptable ahead of time.