Leo 0.97 - I Si1 Worth The Value?

Henri Rdl

Hello, 
I'm about to choose a 1 carat diamond for an engagement ring and was wondering if this one might be a good option? (4,5 K€ , considering my 5K budget).

ROUND MODIFIED BRILLIANT 
Measurements 6.22 - 6.25 x 3.97 mm 
Carat Weight 0.97 carat 
Color Grade I 
Clarity Grade SI1 
PROPORTIONS 
Depth 63.7 % 
Table 57 % 
Girdle Slightly Thick to Very Thick, Faceted 
Culet None 
FINISH 
Polish Very Good 
Symmetry Very Good 
FLUORESCENCE 
Fluorescence None 
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS 
Clarity Characteristics Crystal, Cloud, Indented Natural 
COMMENTS 
Additional clouds are not shown. 
Pinpoints are not shown. 
INSCRIPTION(S) 
LEO 201670 

http://www.diamants-infos.com/vente/affichage_certificat.php?num=5514031 

Thanks a lot in advance! 
Cheers, 
Henri

Hello Henri, welcome to DiamondReview!

There isn't an easy answer to your question... Leo  (Schachter) use a proprietary cut for their diamonds, which in turn means:

1) Comparisons on appearance and cut quality are very difficult - the only standardised approaches to measuring cut quality have been built on traditional round diamonds, and custom cuts like Leos look different. Not necessarily better, but definitely different - and there are good and bad ones there too (a depth over 63% isn't a good sign for a round, generally speaking). At some point you need to make a choice as to which look you prefer.

2) Same for comparisons on price. For your reference, you may be paying a significant premium for the Leo name and the custom cut: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.90&fCaratHi=0.99&fColorLo=I&fColorHi=I&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=vgood&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1 As you can see, most similarly graded diamonds are priced below $5000/€3600. (However I'm not sure if the €4500 you have been quoted includes VAT at about 20% somewhere in Europe... which would equalise the bill somewhat).

Hello Davide and thanks for the reply!

1) I'm indeed worried regarding the 63,7% depth and the very thick girdle, even if the cut is different than a "regular" one.

2) Price indeed includes some 20% VAT so it's 3758€~5200$ without taxes. It seems that i'm paying a huge premium for the leo brand so i'll look further for unbranded cuts with better value.

Thanks!

After some research, I find out this unbranded one which is a bit more expensive (4900eur~6700USD) but which seems to play in another category than the previous one...

Thanks for your feedback!

AGS#: 3302403

Report Type: Diamond Qualityâ„¢ Document

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant

Measurements: 6.49 - 6.53 x 3.93 mm

Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0

Polish: Ideal

Symmetry: Ideal

Proportions: Ideal

Color Grade: AGS 2.0 (H)

Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)

Carat Weight: 1.002

Fluorescence: Inert

Comments:

3302403" has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond.

Additional clouds are not shown.

Table: 57.0%

Crown Angle: 34.9

Crown Height: 14.9%

Girdle: Faceted, 1.4% to 1.8%

Pavilion Angle: 40.8

Pavilion Depth: 42.7%

Total Depth: 60.4%

Culet: Pointed

It is indeed playing in another category, for at least four reasons:

1. It is over a carat. Reaching the round carat weight makes about 20-25% difference on price, compared to something that's "just below". Rational? Probably not, but that's the way the diamond market operates.

2. It';s a traditional round cut -  which I personally prefer to the "new" cuts such as the Leo.

3. It's an AGS-000. This means (in my opinion) very well cut, and as good as you are going to find if you limit your criteria to what is written on a lab report.

4. H instead of I - which adds another 10-15% to price/carat.

All of this said, if it came down between choosing the 0.97 or the 1.002, I'd have no hesitations and spend the extra €400. The price on that one is actually quite competitive, so check with the vendor (or even better in person) that the inclusions are not visible. Reference for price comparisons: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.00&fCaratHi=1.05&fColorLo=H&fColorHi=H&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabAGS=1 (remember to add/subtract VAT as applicable).