2 Grades/reports For 1 Stone

SniguyM

Hello. I recently purchased a loose diamond graded and inscribed by EGL.

I read that you can send other diamond grading institutions such as GIA or AGS your loose stones and they will grade/report/inscribe them. (for a fee of course)

Here are my questions.

Will other diamond graders have an issue grading a stone that has already been through another graders hands and even inscribed by them?

Will GIA or AGS inscribe on a stone that already has another graders inscription on it?

Will having a stone with 2 inscriptions and 2 grading reports from separate grading institutions "taint" the diamond and make it less valuable?

Any information would help.

Thanks

Matt

Here are my questions.

Will other diamond graders have an issue grading a stone that has already been through another graders hands and even inscribed by them?

Will GIA or AGS inscribe on a stone that already has another graders inscription on it?

Will having a stone with 2 inscriptions and 2 grading reports from separate grading institutions "taint" the diamond and make it less valuable?

1) No, they regularly do that. As the current stone is EGL graded, expect it to be more strictly graded by GIA/AGS. Be prepared for the colour and clarity to come back at lower grades to what EGL has graded.

2) Inscriptions can be removed and the new certification can be laser inscribed at an additional cost to the grading.

3) It's not really something that is practised, it will only lead to more doubt and confusion for future purchasers. 

On the other hand, it's not uncommon for people in the trade to send the diamond to 2 or even 3 labs and then sell it using the set of credentials that they think gives them the best chance of selling at the highest price.

However, I'd like to take one step back: what's the reason/motivation for even considering taking  the diamond to GIA or AGS? If you have doubts about what you purchased, there are better ways of resolving them.

I don’t think multiple inscriptions will have much affect whether you’re a buyer or seller but it does vary a little depending on what you mean by ‘value’.  Any buyer with sense will rely on either the GIA or their own grading, and ignore the EGL entirely.   That said, the usual practice of dealers is to remove the inscriptions they don’t like because it causes confusion for the eventual buyer.  If they’re going to sell it with the EGL branding, there’s no value in having the GIA pedigree.  The inscription vanishes on the polishing wheel and the report goes into the shredder.  This happens regularly.  As you point out, there are fees, work and time involved here and although it makes a certain weird sense for dealer to get ino it (usually the opposite direction, they’ll buy GIA’s and send them to EGL looking for an upgrade), it’s decidedly unusual for consumers to do this.