Please Help On Selecting A Princess Cut Diamond

Kevin Yu

Hi All,

I'm completely new to diamond I'm trying to buy a princess cut engagement ring for my girl friend :) . I've spent the last couple days browsing on bluenile and I am thinking about buying this diamond:

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your-own-diamond-ring?builder=BYOR&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&pid=LD03892083#DIAMONDS_STEP|LD03892083

Is this considered a good diamond and worth the price?

Thanks

Hey mate,

I went through a similar process re: selecting a princess cut.

Read through my thoughts, decision process and advice from a few more experienced members on here in my thread

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9401-princess-cut-advicefeedback-needed/

I agree with David, it does seem to have a premium price on it for a 0.73. The GCAL optical analysis looks good for light return, but for the same outlay, you can get a more superior stone from AGS that has been graded more thoroughly.

Have a look at the AGS stones from Whiteflash, Brian Gavin or James Allen. 

Best of luck!

Hey mate,

I went through a similar process re: selecting a princess cut.

Read through my thoughts, decision process and advice from a few more experienced members on here in my thread

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9401-princess-cut-advicefeedback-needed/

I agree with David, it does seem to have a premium price on it for a 0.73. The GCAL optical analysis looks good for light return, but for the same outlay, you can get a more superior stone from AGS that has been graded more thoroughly.

Have a look at the AGS stones from Whiteflash, Brian Gavin or James Allen. 

Best of luck!

Thanks everyone! 

MrRevHead - I looked at James Allen and Brian Gavin and most of diamond there don't have AGS report. Do I have to ask for it or ?

Thanks everyone! 

MrRevHead - I looked at James Allen and Brian Gavin and most of diamond there don't have AGS report. Do I have to ask for it or ?

On White Flash, the A Cut Above series are AGS, you can view the report by clicking on the diamond certificate link. Also, they provide the ASET images as well for the diamonds.

For James Allen, the True Hearts range are AGS diamonds.  For Brian Gavin, the Signature series are AGS diamonds. The reports are provided when viewing each individual diamond as an image or link.

Willing to drop colour a little? If so, you can save significantly for a diamond with similar dimensions

eg

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.731-h-vs2-princess-diamond-ags-104062403011#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/3/

Edited by MrRevhead

>> I am willing to pay a bit for a bigger size of stone :) I might pull the trigger on this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3081020.htm

This is a very nice stone.  Price in whiteflash.com up to the 1-carat range is essentially linear -- if you pay a little more, you will get a slightly larger stone.  All that they have in their inventory is literally a superior cut to American standard grade.

If you go with some of the regular online vendors, you may have to be concerned about lopsided stones, or ones cut too deep (or shallow) for best light returns.  They may also have perfect cuts, but it's not assured.  Choosing a standard cut grade may be a good choice at specific times or for specific purposes.  For example, I am replacing 4 separate earrings and am worried about losing one or more stones, so I don't want the best quality, like I would for an engagement diamond.

The three online vendors whose names you have will continue to provide a premium quality of stone, at a corresponding premium price.  (This is still likely to be cheaper than going to a local diamond retailer, as MrRevHead will happily tell you.)

Only one note to say that Brian Gavin, Whiteflash and - to a lesser extent - James Allen are by no means the only ones to stock premium cut princesses. These are three excellent vendors, but there are more out there. Two more names for you to check: Good Old Gold and High Performance Diamonds. Plus some of the regulars here, such as Barry/Excel Diamonds, who do not provide as much information "upfront", but are more than happy to take photos and reflector images for those that find them useful.

• Like 1

Only one note to say that Brian Gavin, Whiteflash and - to a lesser extent - James Allen are by no means the only ones to stock premium cut princesses. ... Two more names for you to check: Good Old Gold and High Performance Diamonds. Plus ...Excel Diamonds,

Extremely useful info, David!  Thanks!

Even for someone like me who is NOT looking for the best diamonds, it's essential to know what we're giving up by going down in quality (and price, hopefully).  A standard-quality cut could be 20-60% less than a retailer who caters to people wanting the best.  By studying top grade stones, it should become a lot easier to identify the ones in our general mix that are performance dogs ... and especially the ones that might rank "good enough" for an intended purpose (like earrings we're afraid might get lost).

Conversely, a person who wants the best and doesn't mind paying a premium needs to know how that premium is earned.  So that person should scan lower offerings, then move up the rankings once there's a sense of the juxtaposition of cut / color / clarity.