1.30 If

Silento

1) Please post the GIA report number. You gain nothing by not posting it, and we can at least SEE the whole report with a decent image quality. As it is, apart from being difficult to read because of size/resolution, the two critical numbers (crown and pavilion angles) are cut off.

2) "Good" is in the eye of the beholder. I would not pay a premium for "internally flawless", particularly since it seems to be traded off with a VG cut, but a lot of people do. What are you looking for?

3) You can find prices for comparable stones on the Diamond Finder (link at the top of this page) - here is a pre-built query, but please adjust parameters and variables to see the effect on prices/price ranges http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.20&fCaratHi=1.40&fColorLo=G&fColorHi=G&fClarityLo=FL&fClarityHi=IF&fCutLo=vgood&fCutHi=vgood&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=Infinity&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6147450384

Lucky the JPG file name was named correctly.

I agree with David's second point above. Drop clarity to avoid a useless premium that is not visible to the naked eye and get some more in-depth testing done on the stone or look at it first hand/physically if viable. 

Based on the numbers alone, it rates the following on the HCA Cut advisor

e1C4HsQ.jpg

Use that as a basis for obtaining further opinion/testing if you are making a short list on potential diamonds.

If you're willing to drop colour for cut and light performance, consider:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11061/

Slightly smaller, but significantly cheaper:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11808/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11493/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11245/

Whiteflash and JA have some good, already light performance/cut graded stones in your size for significantly less. Simply do a search with 1.2-1.4ct Round, VS1-SI1 and AGS/Expert Selection/True Hearts. You will see above average/great diamonds for $3-4000 less.

In saying that, yes, I believe you can do better for your money in terms of obtaining a better cut/performing diamond (based solely on the numbers you have provided). But as David has posted in his 3rd point, your diamond, price wise, is priced accordingly for a G IF....

Edited by MrRevhead

Um. you either have superpowers, or my eyesight is worse than I think. How do you know that the crown angle is 32.5 and that the PA is 40.8 rather than say 32.0 and 40.2? And even if these two changes are apparently very small, they are visible (and the HCA - if it is relevant at all, which I doubt - returns a significantly different result).

Um. you either have superpowers, or my eyesight is worse than I think. How do you know that the crown angle is 32.5 and that the PA is 40.8 rather than say 32.0 and 40.2? And even if these two changes are apparently very small, they are visible (and the HCA - if it is relevant at all, which I doubt - returns a significantly different result).

< <  Superpowers! > >

What was originally posted was a screen capture from a smartphone.  Mr RevHead was able to translate this into the GIA report number, which is

• gia report number 6147450384

• date of issue 6/12/2012

And, by way of cross-checking, you'll see that all the other documented numbers line up neatly, too.  Then he just plugged it into HCA, blah, blah, you know the rest...

MrRev gave you a tip in his first sentence when he said

"Lucky the JPG file name was named correctly."

So, the jpeg name, "post-133897-0-71500800-1398231391_t.jpg", translates to -->

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6147450384

Either he's figured this out by careful observation or he did a brute-force hack, identifying stones with the set of criteria and then seeing if any of the listed stones on priscescope or here had additional data available, like the GIA report number.  If you wanted to find out who the vendor was, you'd probably have to do the brute-force approach.

I suspect that "USA Certed" on pricescope employs a similar hack approach to steal other vendors' work (and clients), then offers the same stone for 5-10% less.  Ethical for a vendor?  Mmm .... I'd have to see what the back office policies and discussions are from that website.  Doesn't seem, ah, "kosher".

Edited by jginnane

I provided a link to the original GIA report at the beginning of my reply.

The screenshot image Silento provided was fortunately named after the report check number. Using that detail, i typed in the number in the GIA Report Check URL and found the report.

Using the greater detail provided in the full report, I used such properties to enter in the HCA. 

MrRev gave you a tip in his first sentence when he said

"Lucky the JPG file name was named correctly."

So, the jpeg name, "post-133897-0-71500800-1398231391_t.jpg", translates to -->

Either he's figured this out by careful observation or he did a brute-force hack, identifying stones with the set of criteria and then seeing if any of the listed stones on priscescope or here had additional data available, like the GIA report number.  If you wanted to find out who the vendor was, you'd probably have to do the brute-force approach.

I used the JPG file name from the attachment within the email shown in the screenshot - 6147450384.jpg

Edited by MrRevhead

Thanks for all the responses. I got the price wrong. The seller wants 15k. I won't be purchasing this one. I'll continue with my search. Thanks all

Are you interested at 13K?  As I mentioned earlier, there's one online vendor who promises to beat most other vendors.  I don't know if it's good or not, or how much of a price break you can get.  But if this meets your other criteria, give the guy (previously named, so I won't repeat) a shout.  Tell him the price you would pay, no further negotiating.

It might be unethical for him to work this way, and I'm sure we're about to get a blast from David and Neil on this if my suspicions are correct.  But we're on the other side of the table, so as long as he's allowed to operate in this manner, it's fair game.  In fact, a guy who deliberately doesn't play by "the rules" eventually hurts both sides, so I'd personally like to see this get resolved.  One unethical vendor is like having a box of strawberries with one moldy one... how far does it go?