What Do You Think Is Visible To The Average Eye?

bLu

Hi!

I'm looking for a diamond to set in an engagement ring. It's going to be a solitaire ring and my budget for the stone is 3700usd. I care very much about the sparkle so I know I'm going for a stone with excellent cut. I think that I want it to be Gia certified and I know I will buy it online (we havent got too many shops where I live).

I have a few questions about what is visible and what you would choose:

1. What clarity would you choose if you had my budget? Would you go with VS2 or VS1 or even higher or rather buy a bigger stone and settle for less clarity?

If I had the money I would like the stone to be 1.25ct-1.5ct but with 3700-4000usd budget I wouldnt get a very nice stone I think (looking now at diamondonweb.com)

2. I think its beautiful with a non-yellow color but as they are more costly and I have a restrained budget I have to compromise - the question is how much would you have compromised I-J-K? 

3. Is there anything else concerning the diamond that you would have taken into account? There isnt any other parameter that affect the grade the stone sparkles?

Thank you so much for reading all the way down here and feel free to speak your mind!

post-134207-0-03027400-1398008328_thumb.jpg

Edited by bLu

Thank you for your swift reply Barry. SI-2 compared to VS2 - is there a visible difference without any helping instrument?

What diamond would you buy if you had 3700-4000usd to spend on the diamond?

Furthermore, is IGI as good as AGS and GIA?

Thanks!

You're getting the best possible advice here (from professionals).  My personal search starts with GIA, G-color, SI1 clarity, and then after that I'm looking at table & depth percents to not stray too far from an acceptable norm.

As far as SI2 goes, this might be better searched if you can go to a shop, because that way you can immediately discard a number based on the type + location of the visible inclusion(s).  You probably don't need to improve clarity to VS1 or VS2, especially if you're watching a budget line tightly, because SI1 will be usually "eye-clean".

Speaking of budget -- you will be constantly tempted to add an extra 25-50% to yours, even if it's to be paid on time.  This is a decision for you to make.  It's hard to say no to a stone that seems to solve every issue, or where upgrading the metalwork is "just a little more".

Also on budget -- consider buying something other than a round!  Our first acquisition in this recent process was a 7.5mm by 8.5 mm trilliant,  A .91 carat shallow-cut stone cost me $2440.  I mention this because it's visually a big stone, and top-down looks like a much larger weight -- nominally a 1.5 ct round or even a 2.5 carat princess -- without the same degree of sparkle.  Another good shape to consider is the heart.

post-134207-0-83553500-1398021810_thumb.jpgThank you for your reply and valuable input. I know that she wants a ring that sparkle as much as possible, I actually don't think that she will bother very much about the color of the gem but I have read that diamonds with strong fluorescence might improve the face-up color? Therefore I have put together a few options as you can see attached. There are pros and cons of all diamonds as well as these alternatives. The one with very strong blue fluorescence (8267791) interests me since it may compensate for the more yellow color that comes with K, what is your thought about that? Also that stone has VVS2.

Which one out of the stones would you choose and why?

Thank you for sharing your fine expertise!

>> don't think that she will bother very much about the color of the gem but I have read that diamonds with strong fluorescence might improve the face-up color?

OK, first, I'm no expert.  Second, almost by happenstance, the two stones I've bought online since joining here some ~60 days ago have both had strong blue FL.  I rationalize it as making the stones potentially more interesting, in that they're (1) less popular cuts, and (2) intended to be worn as stud earrings.  From everything I've read, natural light FL (when seen on a clear sunny day) is not going to counter a lower color grade. It just doesn't work that way.  OTOH, you don't really have to counter it.

bLu >> Therefore I have put together a few options as you can see attached. There are pros and cons of all diamonds as well as these alternatives. The one with very strong blue fluorescence (8267791) interests me since it may compensate for the more yellow color that comes with K, what is your thought about that? Also that stone has VVS2.

First, you've broken your budget already. :)  Second, I would NOT go up to VVS-anything, or probably even to VS-2, without a very good reason right in front of me.  When we selected our stone 15+ years ago, VS1 was good enough, and we had a fair budget to work with.  I know I should have spent more time on the cut, but she was happy enough with this one we call the Headlight.

bLu >> Which one out of the stones would you choose and why?

Of these, I'd go with the H/SI1, but that's worst for your budget as well as being the smallest stone.  I'd actually nibble at the edges of the online search, sorting by table%, depth%, looking at GIA reports and/or pictures, and refining down til I got to something I consider my center -- which, as said before, is GIA, G, SI1.  Then I'd rank the vendors, too -- not everyone online here has the same support level, price, nor do they even market themselves to the same group of people.

I would also identify where the nearest diamond merchant(s) are and consider making a long weekday trip to (1) make contacts and (2) see stones.  If you try to deal exclusively online, you don't want to have too many stones out at once -- every round trip is up to a month, and you'll have them on your credit card for that time.

Edited by jginnane