Question Re Speckled Pattern In Diamond - Link To Pic

ffiren

Hi,

I have recently purchased a ring for my better half and was required to take some photographs for insurance purposes. Macro photography isn't really my thing, but I managed to borrow a reasonable lens.

All the photos of the diamond, which was a nightmare to shoot by the way, have a speckled pattern only visible on higher magnification. Now that I've seen it in the pictures, my other half can see it also under direct vision.

The diamond matches the GIA cert so I assume it's some sort of reflection from the underlying platinum. The ring was custom made and worn for less than a month. Perhaps even soap residue on the inside of the claws....

Any thoughts and if it's removable, how do i do it!

My friend with the macro lens shoots lots of wedding photos and she's never seen anything like it before... Oh, and the picture isn't great for lots of reasons, but it does demonstrated my concerns. You might need to view it at 1:1 scale.

Thanks for the help guys!

IMG_0008.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/evilpaddy/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/evilpaddy/IMG_0016.jpg

Edited by ffiren

Hi,

I have recently purchased a ring for my better half and was required to take some photographs for insurance purposes. Macro photography isn't really my thing, but I managed to borrow a reasonable lens.

All the photos of the diamond, which was a nightmare to shoot by the way, have a speckled pattern only visible on higher magnification. Now that I've seen it in the pictures, my other half can see it also under direct vision.

I can't see a pattern in what you posted, but if I was guessing, you may have a dark crystal being refracted multiple times.  If it's just loose surface dirt, a light Ivory wash (or even hitting it with a can of compressed air might be sufficient).

Your photo is being automatically reduced when you upload.  On a 27" monitor at 2560x1440, I'm getting prong-to-prong display distances of 1" and 7/8", respectively.

Since you have good depth of field, can you crop and repost -- trying for 5-10X larger than what came through on this first pass?  Also, a neutral background (white which is 18% gray) would help pick out an inclusion or other problem from the background.

PS -- Macro mode on a conventional P+S camera gives close focusing (1 cm) but the depth of field is a very thin plane.  Still, if the "pattern" is equidistant from the lens, that's a clue by itself.  And don't forget to use a self-timer with your tripod (the timer so you won't be adding vibration to the shutter release).  Also see if you can discern the same pattern up through the pavilion?

I can't identify it either, in any of the three photos.

1) Clean carefully. Soak in warm water and dish soap, then brush with a toothbrush, particularly under the stone. Rinse well. Blow dry (lots of air, not so much heat) or use a soft cloth to dry.

2) Clean again.

3) Clean again.

Most likely, it will be clean. If not, as jginnane says it could be an inclusion or as you suspect a claw/part of the setting being reflected.

Thanks guys. This is a 100% crop.

I suspect it is a reflection from some residue underneath. The stone is a D IF so if you see inclusions, they've managed to etch the GIA number onto a piece of glass!

post-134205-0-91743100-1397846561_thumb.jpg

post-134205-0-58842300-1397846590_thumb.png

Edited by ffiren