Diamond Shopping For My Girlfriend

cognizantphotos

From these characteristics can one tell how good of a diamond this is. thanks for the help...

DIAMOND CHARACTERISTICS
Cut (Shape and Style)
ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat Weight
1.00 CT
Clarity Grade
SI2
Color Grade
E
PROPORTIONS
Measurements
6.15 x 6.14 x 3.91 mm
Table
59%
Depth
63.7%
Crown Height
16.1%
Crown Angle
37.8°
Pavilion Depth
40.2%
Pavilion Angle
39°
Girdle
SL. THICK TO EX. THICK FACETED
Culet
NONE
OBSERVATIONS
Finish

Polish
VERY GOOD
Symmetry
GOOD
Fluorescence
NONE

From these characteristics can one tell how good of a diamond this is.

Can one tell? No.

1) "Good" is subjective. What do you mean by it?

2) You are missing (or haven't posted) one very important element: who (which lab) is saying the diamond is all of those things? (Colour, clarity, symmetry, lack of treatments, etc.)

3) Assuming that the measurements are correct, the combination of crown and pavilion angles is very unusual. It might work, but it's certainly very far off from "orthodoxy".

Its certified by EGL, which i know is not as "good" as GIA but i was thinking even if its a little off it would be worth it...

From these characteristics can one tell how good of a diamond this is.

Can one tell? No.

1) "Good" is subjective. What do you mean by it?

2) You are missing (or haven't posted) one very important element: who (which lab) is saying the diamond is all of those things? (Colour, clarity, symmetry, lack of treatments, etc.)

3) Assuming that the measurements are correct, the combination of crown and pavilion angles is very unusual. It might work, but it's certainly very far off from "orthodoxy".

These specs are for a properly cut .90 carat. The fact that it weighs one carat indicates that the Cutter "squeezed" the diamond to arrive at the coveted 1 carat mark which adds anywhere from 10-20% higher price depending on the Cut grade and grading lab.

This diamond will face up smaller than its carat weight, the center will face up black, and in the trade these proportions are referred to as a "Nail Head".

If you're looking for a properly cut and proportioned one (1) carat diamond, you need to be in the 6.4-6.5 millimeter range, thin to slightly thick girdle range, Table % in the 54-61 range, and pavilion angle in the 40.6-41.0 range.

Focus on diamonds that have been graded by GIA, AGS, and IGI. EGL-USA is an option but their grading standards are looser than the aforementioned three and you should then have an experienced diamond vendor visually examine the stone for you.

Good Luck.

Edited by barry

Its certified by EGL, which i know is not as "good" as GIA but i was thinking even if its a little off it would be worth it...

Why should it be "worth it"? A GIA report costs about $100 for a 1 carat diamond. EGL is not free - but let's say it's half the price. Thus, if there were two identical diamonds one graded by GIA and one by EGL, the only difference in cost should be about $50. Anything that goes beyond the $50 is because the EGL (or whoever else) grade is not reflecting the same colour, clarity, finish, treatment etc. that the GIA grade does.

Labs are chosen strategically.  Diamonds don’t come out of the ground or even off the polishing wheel with lab paperwork.  Someone, usually the cutter, chose where to send it, and this selection was made with one major criteria in mind.  Money.   They want to get as much as possible for their stone.  I see three immediately likely reasons for this stone to go to EGL instead of GIA or AGS.

1) It looks like GIA would give this at best a ‘good’ cut grade and possibly ‘fair’.  Commercially that’s a disaster.  EGL gave it nothing.  Definitely a step up.

2) EGL-SI2 regularly means GIA-I1.  That’s a giant drop in base price.  At best it's GIA-SI2 and it just might be GIA-I2.  Sure, there’s a discount for EGL, but discount from what?

3) E color has the same general problem as clarity.  The difference between E and G when you get down to prices is considerable.  The ‘discount’ for the EGL branding is comparing to GIA-E's. That may or may not be a level comparison.  Actually, usually it's not. 

Edited by denverappraiser