Need Advice On These Emerald Cut: 1.59 Vs 1.64 Vs 1.7Ct.thank U!

C Lum Silin

Hi, I have lurking in this forum from time to time but this is my first post. I know nothing about diamonds...would really appreciate your professional advice to help me find a fine emerald cut.

I have been searching for a very WELL CUT emerald for a few weeks....

prefer L/W ratio about 1.42...G/F color, VS2+ (I'm a bit concerned with VS2 though, as long as it's 100% eye clean, I wouldn't mind :)

There are the ones on my mind:

1.59ct: http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/emerald-diamond-1-59-Carat-G-color-GIA-certified/D-GR225H?search_key=D-GR225H

1.64ct: http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/emerald-diamond-1-64-Carat-F-color-GIA-certified/D-VHRVY3?search_key=D-VHRVY3

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4466875-1.65-carat-Emerald-diamond-G-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

the numbers and proportion of this one seem ideal (is it really?) price is lower than the others but I don't know how to judge the cut...

(see inclusions attached, medium blue fluoro) post-134190-0-71254900-1397306932_thumb.png 

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.70-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-286755

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.52-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-286919

Among these vendors, only JA & B2C can provide ASET/ideal scope (will get it next week and upload here)

some EC with less carat weight would look bigger than one with greater carat weight. Can I tell by assessing the combination of measurements and table %? what else?

I also noticed that some EC are cut with larger corners versus smaller corners....does this matter?

crown height seems to be critical in evaluating the cut...but no way to get it if the vendor does not provide sarin :(

Thank you thank you...

If cut is a priority, you must find dealers that as a minimum look at the stone for you. Better if they can provide reflector images, 3D scans, good quality comparative photos and videos and the like. Best of all if you can go to see the stones in person.

You have NO indication about proportions or cut quality for an emerald cut in a GIA report.

VS2 for clarity is fine; some - rare - VS2 with a black crystal right under the table may have inclusions visible in some circumstances, but in 99.9% of cases you are fine.

Table % has (almost) nothing to do with size of the stone and very little to do with how large a stone appears. You can get an idea of how large the stone will look by assessing L x W dimensions, but even that is tricky: more or less canted corners, more or less well cut can make a difference to how large the diamond looks.

The precise shape - which BTW you can only assess with photos: the clarity plots on GIA reports do NOT capture that aspect of the diamond at all - matters if it matters to you. It certainly changes the look. Personally, I prefer stones with well defined corners; other prefer a near-rectangular look.

If cut is a priority, you must find dealers that as a minimum look at the stone for you. Better if they can provide reflector images, 3D scans, good quality comparative photos and videos and the like. Best of all if you can go to see the stones in person.

You have NO indication about proportions or cut quality for an emerald cut in a GIA report.

VS2 for clarity is fine; some - rare - VS2 with a black crystal right under the table may have inclusions visible in some circumstances, but in 99.9% of cases you are fine.

Table % has (almost) nothing to do with size of the stone and very little to do with how large a stone appears. You can get an idea of how large the stone will look by assessing L x W dimensions, but even that is tricky: more or less canted corners, more or less well cut can make a difference to how large the diamond looks.

The precise shape - which BTW you can only assess with photos: the clarity plots on GIA reports do NOT capture that aspect of the diamond at all - matters if it matters to you. It certainly changes the look. Personally, I prefer stones with well defined corners; other prefer a near-rectangular look.

Thanks Davidelevi! 

I have been trying to learn...and seems getting more and more difficult to find the perfect stone :( cuz one can never judge an emerald cut by looking at the numbers alone...frustrated...