First Time Buyer - Thoughts On A Round Stone

gp58

I'm looking to propose to my girlfriend and have been shopping around for the last few weeks.

I'm in the market for a round cut, G-H color, between VS1 and SI1 in the 1.35-1.45 carat range, and it has to be xxx and GIA certified.  Trying to stay below $10k but definitely willing to come up for quality.

I've been shopping around the diamond district (both upstairs and downstairs) and a jeweler managed to find this stone and is holding it for me, quoted at $9,950:

Carat: 1.40

Color: H

Clarity: SI1

xxx

GIA: 2166639343

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2166639343

The stone is definitely eye-clean (I saw it myself), and even under a loupe nothing really stood out.  I'm wondering two things here:

1 - it is difficult for me to distinguish what the inclusions running across the table are on the GIA cert diagram.  Are they feathers/clouds/crystals?  Something I should be concerned about?

2 - is this a fair price for the stone?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

1) Whatever they are, if you can't see them they are OK. It's a bit of a strange report... the key to characteristics lists needles, but then the plot has the symbol that normally GIA uses for clouds instead, and a comment about "additional clouds not shown". Shurely shome mishtake, GIA? (if you can't see them, it's quite likely they are clouds - they can be quite diffused, and if they don't affect the transparency of the stone, it's a pretty good inclusion to have in an SI-type stone)

2) It's a reasonable price, given you are seeing it in a "real" shop rather than buying online. Bear in mind that there are two main factors affecting prices once you take the "grade" out of the way (GIA H/SI1/XXX 1.35-1.45): cut quality, which is still quite variable among GIA "excellents", and visibility of inclusions, which is the big unknown when shopping online.

http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.35&fCaratHi=1.45&fColorLo=H&fColorHi=H&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1