Was My Diamond Earring Tampered With?? Help Pls??

Nadinesmitty

Hi

I had a set of diamond 3 prong earrings made by a jeweler. I only wore it twice, didn't drop it, step on it, nothing beyond normal wear. The last time I took them off was in the dark and I just put them back in my jewelry box. When I wanted to put them on next, one diamond was missing. Upon inspection by an assessor, this is what I found- see pics. I am not sure if I can trust his opinion- as he is affiliated with the jeweler. Can I pls have some help as I am not sure if this diamond was stolen(by my very trusted housekeeper or babysitter) or could this be jeweler fault. What is interesting is that the "tampering is on both earrings" which could be more evidence that one diamond was stolen, or could it be a very incompetent jeweler...????the second set of pics are the one with diamond still in. post-134155-0-90188900-1396376514_thumb.jpgpost-134155-0-47284400-1396376589_thumb.jpg

For starters, you should have it assessed by someone you DO trust.  Is there an independent appraiser around?  Where are you?

That said, what did he/she have to say?

Is there an insurance policy involved?

Did you find the missing diamond on the floor?

How long ago did you buy them?

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi, I bought these a month ago. I am in Brownsville, tx. No insurance involved. No, I looked everywhere, did not find it. My biggest concern is, if this was stolen by my very trusted and long time housekeeper whom then should be fired:( if they fell out, then so be it. If I confront her of course she will deny it. What I need to know is if this evidence shows intentional tampering for theft(which this assessor pointed to) or if this could possibly be bad workmanship? I do not want to fire someone on assumption.....

So the jeweler ducked all responsibility?

If you bought it less than 30 days ago and there's a credit card involved, you may have insurance and not even know it.  The same holds for your homeowners policy.  Many will cover new purchases automatically for a short while.

If it landed on the floor, there's some possibility that it's now inside the vacuum cleaner.  This is especially true if you're pretty sure of where it occurred (it might have been lost earlier in the evening without your noticing.  Obviously the vacuum isn't going to help in that case).

I think the maid and babysitter seem unlikely to be the problem by the way.  What you're fearing takes both tools and modicum of talent.  It's not out of the question but it doesn't really make sense that someone would do that, even if they had the wherewithal.  They'd just take the whole thing if they were wishing to steal your diamond.   Workmanship is a much more likely issue.

The jeweler said she inspected it before she gave it to me and said in now way would she have sold it to me if she noticed any scratches or bad work from her setter. Then we took it to an assessor and he said in his professional opinion those marks, without a doubt shows someone tamepring(bending back and forth) the prongs with the sole purpose to remove the diamond and that I should file a police report. Again, i can get my money back from insurance, what I am asking, in your professional opinion, if those marks and cracks on the prongs, are from bad workmanship, or did someone(without diamond knowledge and bad tools) intentionally try to remove both(one failed) diamonds???

There's no way to tell from a photograph, especially over the word of a someone who is presumably trained and who can see it in person.  There's obviously metal fatigue present but I'm hard pressed to see what is leading to his conclusion about what caused it and what didn't, much less when it occured.  Again, he's seen the goods and I haven't.  That's worth a lot.  Perhaps he can explain with a simple phone call.  That said, if you don't trust their choice of expert, hire your own, especially before you take it out on the housekeeper.  If  you do trust him, then trust him.  Call the police.