Gemology As A Hobby?

milias

I recently bought an engagement ring, and in the process, I've learned a lot about diamonds, from online sources and local stores.  I enjoyed it so much that I'm considering picking this up as a hobby.  Granted, I'm not rich by any means, and can't really buy the stones to feed a hobby, but I think it would still be fun to learn more about them, read about them, etc.  That said, I have a job/career that I enjoy, so it's only going to be a hobby.  I'm looking for suggestions as to how I can get started.  If someone is also doing this as a hobby, I'd love to hear about your experience.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by milias

Are you specifically interested in diamonds, or in gems and minerals in general, or in jewellery as a whole?

By and large the way of learning more is - as you say - to read about it. Sources aren't lacking (though some books are expensive, there's always libraries).

Most US cities have gem and mineral clubs and they're a great place to meet interesting people, engage in a bit of 'show and tell' and just learn about gems.  I would start there.  Meetup is probably a good place to find them but if there's a rock shop or jewelers supply store in town, go read the signs on the bulletin board and talk to the people who work there.  They'll know.

Thank you, Davide and Neil.  I think to begin with, I'd like to focus on just diamonds.  Would be great to read a book on the history of the diamond industry.  Any recommendations?  Hopefully those books are relatively inexpensive on Amazon or something.

I like the idea of gem and mineral clubs.  The only concern I have is that maybe the people who go there are already very knowledgeable about diamonds/gems?  I'll probably sound really dumb once I open my mouth there.  Perhaps I should do a little more studying before I go?

Some are knowledgeable, some aren't.  Some think they are but aren't.  :rolleyes:  That's the way the world works.  You can learn from nearly everybody.

Books vary wildly depending on what sort of style you like.  Antoinette Maitlens and Renee Newman have some really good writings on the market place.  Richard Liddicoat wrote the books that are the basis of GIA and are great but not exactly light reading.  Technical grading books are a bit different from history books and so on.  What would you like?

Thanks, Neil.  I think to begin with, I'd like some light reading on the diamond industry itself, and maybe work my way up to the more technical writing.  Since it's just a hobby for me - as opposed to a full-time career - I have the luxury to do that :)

Is there a specific book from Antoinette Maitlens or Renee Newman that you'd recommend?

Here's a good one from Renee but I'm not sure I would call it about the industry.  It's about diamonds.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Handbook-Practical-Evaluation-Jewelry/dp/0929975391/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Here's some nice light industry reading.  And it's free!

http://www.bain.com/publications/articles/global-diamond-report-2013.aspx

If you want a relatively easy read about the industry, this report by Bain & Co. is not bad at explaining the basics. Like many "consulting" reports it gives the impression that they know a lot, but take most figures that are sourced from "expert interviews" with a big pinch of salt.

http://www.bain.com/publications/articles/global-diamond-industry-lifting-veil-of-mystery.aspx

Aargh - missed Neil's last post. Anyway, these are two different reports, even if the source is the same!

Edited by davidelevi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Your thread just remind me of the sentence.

It's never too late to learn what you want to do.

Definitely as an adult,you need to work. And you also need your salary to afford the expense of your hobby.

Maybe you can start your hobby in your leisure time.

Take it slow, you should do this step by step.

just like my metal detector hobby.

md3010ii-hobby-upgraded-metal-detectors-