Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

? on laser drilled diamonds

Guest Guest

I have a question regarding laser drilled diamonds: how much is a laser drilled diamond worth compared to a diamond of the same exact quality?

I learned I bought a laser drilled diamond and wasn't told about it. I'm getting this situation straightened out and am trying to educate myself as much as possible. My main question is: is a laser drilled diamond a desirable diamond? How much of a diamond's value is lost if it is "enhanced"? The consensus of a couple of area jewelers we went to said lasered diamonds substantially loses its value once it gets drilled or enhanced. Is this true or is it just a ploy to solicit business?

I appreciate objective responses! Thanks

>>The consensus of a couple of area jewelers we went to said lasered diamonds substantially loses its value once it gets drilled or enhanced. Is this true or is it just a ploy to solicit business?<<

We don't deal in clarity enhanced diamonds, but I did do some asking around for you, and the answer is that your jewelers are correct, it loses a lot of value. Maybe 30% is a conservative rule of thumb, maybe higher. You can probably try visiting some websites that sell CE diamonds (clarity enhanced) and look at their prices vs. say bluenile.com prices to compare more specifically on your diamond specifications.

So, I think your jewelers are being honest with you. I do hope you are able to get the original situation rectified with that seller though!

Best regards,

Less

http://BetterThanDiamond.com

I have a question regarding laser drilled diamonds: how much is a laser drilled diamond worth compared to a diamond of the same exact quality? I learned I bought a laser drilled diamond and wasn't told about it. I'm getting this situation straightened out and am trying to educate myself as much as possible. My main question is: is a laser drilled diamond a desirable diamond? How much of a diamond's value is lost if it is "enhanced"? The consensus of a couple of area jewelers we went to said lasered diamonds substantially loses its value once it gets drilled or enhanced. Is this true or is it just a ploy to solicit business? I appreciate objective responses! Thanks

Laser drilled diamonds are obviously not worth as much as non-drilled diamond but in my opinion laser drilling is the least worst of the treatments. It is actually considedered a permanent treatment and therefore can be submitted to the GIA for certification. On the other hand, fracture filling is non-permanent and is never graded by the GIA. I have seen some responses on this site talking about an "ENHANCED SI1" , be very leary of this.

Some forward thinkers in the industry have argued that laser drilling is no worse that cutting and polishing a diamond, which is necessary to "improve" the diamond to a polished diamond from a rough diamond. I am a Gemologist and would give my wife a drilled diamond but would not give an enhanced diamond.

Thanks, Max Weiner

Max makes some great points.

In the industry, there's a HUGE difference between a CE diamond ( one which has had silicon injected into it) compared to a diamond which has a laser drill.

In fact, I do not believe that a "commercial" diamond's value is greatly affected by a laser drill.

When I say commercial, I'm talking about Si2-I1 diamonds- which are alrady substantially less money than a VS of the same color and cut.

Drill a VS1, and you've just produced a difficult to sell diamond- making it worth a lot less than a non drilled VS1.

But if you have an I1 with a big black spot- then drill it and the diamond looks better...it won't be worth more, but it may prove much easier to sell.

Guest- if you can give us more specifics= like the size, color, clarity, and price paid, we might be able to answer more specifically.