Should I Buy This 1.20Ct. Gia/si2/h Round Cut For $9K? Need Your Expert Advice!

austin_mck

Diamond Gurus,

Two Key Questions for You:

(1) Sounds really steep to me given the parameters…is this a good deal? -- (Picture attached)

(2) What's your take on the fancy so-called ASET device to evaluate lighting?

Some helpful background:

I'm looking to buy an engagement ring in the next few weeks (I'm looking for 1.2~1.5CT).  I've done quite a bit of research and have heard the different points of view on the 4C's, depth/table, etc. However, the diamond dealer made quite a pitch…he uses a ASET device and claims he is only one of a few jewelers who use it. He showed me various blue/red/green images and the ones with more red and blue (as opposed to too much green) really did have a very visible sparkle. I was impressed with how he showed the diamond in low light as well (simulating a dinner date, for instance), and it looks markedly beautiful. I've looked at other diamonds from other dealers, but I'm particularly drawn to this one….see pic below (I know it's not optimal, but that's all I have now).

Quick personal background: Growing up, I've had quite a bit of experience negotiating and get the best price possible (I can humbly say I don't really get ripped off). In this case, however, I'm a bit out of my element since I'm not a diamond expert. I'm skeptical about falling for this guy's pitch…can he really be that awesome with his cool aset device? Looking up at diamonds with similar metrics (yes, I know there's nothing like looking at it in person) on Blue Nile, I noticed prices are closer to $6K. I don't want to get gypped and want to get your advice.  Thanks guys!

AM

post-133921-0-11415300-1388722686.jpg

Edited by austin_mck

I"m something of a fan of the ASET tool as a way of looking at some particular things about diamond cuts and I would certainly not say you're guy is 'one of the few' who uses it.  I guess it depends on where you're looking.  I use it quite a bit for example.  The diamond finder utility at the top of the page is a database of stones offered for sale and 1.20-1.25/GIA/G/SI2/xxx has 152 offers.  Every one is cheaper than that, some by quite a bit.  I don't find exactly those specs and I'm not going to hunt all that hard but, for example, here's one that's a tad bigger, a tad better clarity, a tad better color, a great cut and an ASET image to demonstrate it for $7304.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4297027-1.24-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

Edited by denverappraiser

Thanks for the prompt reply, Neil!  Great find on B2C. Here are a few additional details…would any of these make a difference? The price is a bit in-line with some Blue Nile Signature Ideal cut…any chance that the diamond in question is comparable? I don't know anything about the Signature cut in terms of value. Thanks again for the insight! Any additional input would be welcome.

Depth %: 62 Table %: 55 Polish: Excellent Symmetry: Excellent Fluorescence: None

There's not enough information to say much that's useful about it.  Do you have a link to the GIA report? (www.reportcheck.gia.edu)

'Signature' is mostly a marketing term.  It means that the stone is owned, or at least controlled, by Blue Nile and that they've provided some extra paperwork with it.  Their experts have chosen it as one to feature.  Their agenda isn't exactly the same as yours but, in practice, all that I've seen have been quite lovely.  It costs a little extra for this filter it's certainly not a suggestion that there are no non-sig stones that are equally lovely for a bit less money but the idea is to make the shopping process quick and painless.  Lots of dealers have similar programs with different names.  

I notice that B2C one linked above has strong fluro by the way.  I picked it because I was looking for a GIA/xxx with an ASET image.  If you're going to compare apples to apples, that would get kicked out of most of the signature type lines for that reason. 

Unfortunately, I don't have the GIA certificate number. I can say that, out of the 8 or so diamonds I've seen in person, it's the most brilliant...it even sparkled under very low light.  I looked up its HCA score and it came up as 1.4. What's your take on HCA scores? I also just found a 1.54CT/H/SI2 with an HCA score of 1.9 with inclusions that are not visible to the naked eye. I haven't seen it, but it's practically the same price as the 1.2CT originally mentioned! Any thoughts? Thanks!

AM

Hi Neil/David-

Thanks again for your help. David - I'd like to see the others in-person before making a decision, but, unfortunately, since they're sold online, I can't.The next best option I see is to rely on other forms of assessment (e.g., GIA cert, ASET, HCA score). Neil- I'd like to buy the 1.2ct because I think it looks really nice, but I'm not comfortable with paying such a premium; I see the jeweler's other diamonds advertised with 30-40% markups when I do a cert search, which I find really excessive. I'd feel much better getting something that's a good bang for my buck. That said, I'm really interested in 1.54CT diamond I've been looking at online and I obtained ASET images for. I know I've pestered you guys enough, but I was hoping I could trouble you once more to take a look at the images and provide your expert insight. I'll post them under a different thread since it relates to a different diamond. Thanks again!

AM

Edited by austin_mck

Great. Thanks! Apologies, had created a new thread before reading your message...here it is below to keep the same thread going...

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a 1.54CT/H/SI2/Excellent Cut diamond I found online. Since I can't physically see it, I'm relying on other assessment methods (e.g., GIA cert, HCA, ASET). I don't know much about diamonds, but based on what I've been reading so far, I think its ASET images look great. My concern is the bits of white on the edges...from what I gather this can be bad. Would you say the attached ASET / Hearts & Arrows images are Ideal, Excellent, Decent, or Bad? Any other input? Worth buying at 10K?

I was hoping I could trouble you once more to take a look at the images and provide your expert insight. I appreciate all your help with a decision that is so significant to me. Thanks again!

AM

post-133921-0-52050700-1389124354.jpg

post-133921-0-97884300-1389124358_thumb.jpg

post-133921-0-57579200-1389124362_thumb.jpg

Yep - we cross posted - so here's my answer again:

I'd say they look more than decent. The hearts symmetry could be a little better, but you'll never see the asymmetries without a loose stone and a magnifying viewer. The white or green "bits" around the girdle are an (almost) inevitable result of cutting to modern "ideal" proportions. The only way (I know of) to eliminate them is to use extra facets, but that causes other issues.

Davide,

Not that I have a particular problem with them but the way to eliminate the green and white sawteeth around the edge is by tweaking the azimuth of the lower girdle facets.  A process known as digging.  Too much of it gets you kicked out of GIA-x with a nasty comment to boot, but the cutters who are trying to optimize the reflector images are well aware of where the boundaries are. 

• Like 1

Neil/David- I'm not too concerned about there being green sawteeth...I realize, practically speaking, there would typically be hints of indirect, less bright light return (i.e., green in ASET) in excellent cut diamonds. Instead, I'm concerned that the sawteeth are white (and not green)...indicating that there is no presence of light return, from my understanding. But, perhaps it's such little white, that it's not a big deal. I feel like I'm close to making a purchase, but before I do, it comes down to two questions I'd really appreciate your help in addressing:

1) Given the ASET images and HCA score <2 alone, would you say the diamond is beautiful (e.g., brilliant cut, sparkly) -- or that it would lead you to believe it probably is?

2) Would you say it's a good deal at US$10K (1.54CT/H/SI2, with confirmation of no visible inclusions to naked eye)?

Thanks again! 

AM

Edited by austin_mck