Aset Help

Scotty

Princesses don't usually have much blue.  Black is not your friend.  Symmetry is good.  Princesses usually have quite a bit of green and a smattering of red.  In general, more red is better but there are some limits.

I would pass on #3 because of the black and the symmetry.

Both of the others look promising.  Marginally I would pick #1 because of the more red even though it also has more black around the edges but it would be trumped by actually looking at them.  I assume they're otherwise comparable?

Thanks for your very prompt replies!!

Yes, the three diamonds are very similar in all other respects, though crown heights are slightly different – with the second being the highest.  My confusion was in viewing AGS ASET image guidelines for princess cuts – what they show as ideal always seems to have a fair amount of blue in the image.  I have also reviewed some materials from other sites (ie good as gold videos) which seem to suggest / demonstrate “ideal†princess diamonds as having a fair amount of blue / contrast. 

Attached is a hi-res picture of the second diamond, its GIA certificant, along with its key specs below.  Thanks gain for taking the time to look at this for me!

Carat weight:2.02

Certificate:GIA

Color:h

Shape: Princess

Clarity: VS2

Cut: Ideal

Depth %:74.90

Girdle: Very Thick-

Table %:71.00

Culet:NN

Polish:Excellent

Crown ∠: -

Symmetry:Very Good

Crown %:-

Fluorescence:None

Pavilion ∠:-

L/W/D (mm): 6.77*6.67*5.00

Pavilion %:

post-133620-0-25448000-1380215270_thumb.jpg

post-133620-0-28171600-1380215538_thumb.jpg

AGS has some rather narrow and quite specific definitions about what is 'ideal', and none of these are particularly close to it.  It's actually a standard that's difficult for cutters to match and they don't do it by accident.  They're cutting to get a premium price and that comes with an AGS 000 grade issued by the AGS Lab.  Without that there's no point.  Among other side effects of this is that you don't see them with other sorts of paperwork.  One of the reasons cutters like sending princess cuts to GIA is that they DON'T have a cut grade so they can cut for weight but they still get the benefit of the GIA branding.  Pretty much, if you want an 'ideal' cut princess, you have no option but to get an AGS graded stone and you have to put up with a severely limited distribution.  The tradeoff is less brilliance, bigger stones and the GIA branding.  You can't have both.

Are all the ASET / imaging devices the same?  James Allen is suggesting that their device does not use / show blue light, and therefore that is why we are not seeing it (not one spec) in any of their ASET images??  Does that make sense?  If so, then I guess there is little more that can be done relative to purchasing from them (or many others) as it’s been difficult to find AGS certified diamonds.

Blue Nile uses predominantly GCAL....

In theory, the angles on all ASET systems are the same.  In practice they vary a little bit and, in particular, the way the camera set up works can be somewhat different.  That changes the color saturation and the like.  They also have two different approaches to transmitted light that results in either white or black in the images.  That said, I can't imagine one without the blue that someone still calls an ASET.

GCAL is completely different and, in my opinion, far less useful.  It could be better because the images are all taken using the same setup.  There's nothing magical about the choice of colors, of course, but the problem is that GCAL doesn't say what their angles are so there's no way to interpret the results.  There's no frame of reference. 

Thanks for the additional thoughts.  Very helpful context.  Attached is a new ASET from JA.  Again no blue light / contrast.  This is an AGS Ideal 0 rated diamond.  This ASET matches the AGS Certificate image – as I can match up all the green areas…but the AGS image shows a fair amount of blue.  So obviously, JA is doing something different with the imaging technique.

The trade off with this stone is it’s an S1 vs. the others were VS2.   It seems to be a pretty clean stone, but has a feather along the edge of one corner.  Do you think that creates the risk of the stone cracking there downstream?  Not looking to spend more so the trade-off here seems to be the better light performance vs the lower clarity grade and the feather issue.

Again thoughts / suggestions most appreciated.

post-133620-0-00844100-1380294946.jpg

Aaahh well - two points to note:

1) There is some blue here - the circle around the centre and some parts of the pavilion mains/chevrons adjacent the circle are blue. The camera isn't doing a fantastic job in taking it out from the red and green.

2) The AGS report ASET image is "reconstructed" from the 3D scan, it's not an optically generated image, and every colour is reproduced at the same brightness, whereas blue will always be more faint in an optical image.

In any case, I think you can see the difference between this and the others... ;)

SI1 feather - very unlikely to be an issue. Consider that when the girdle was being cut the diamond was subjected to pressures and temperatures far in excess of what will happen during setting. However, the only one qualified to say with any degree of certainty is a setter seeing the stone. You have 60 days...

(Assuming same price or thereabouts - for me there is no contest. Get this one!)

Edited by davidelevi

Last question....

Any insight regarding how small the table is on this diamond?  Just not used to seeing many like this, so it strikes me as odd.  I understand that a variety of dimensional combinations can be graded out as an Ideal 0, so they may not all look like this.  Does it come down to personal preference, or is there some reason (in terms of value) to look for one with a larger table?

There is certainly an element of personal preference in terms of table width - however I have never seen an AGS 000 with a large table...(meaning much above 65% for a princess). Whether you like the look or not, it's impossible for me to say. You have 60 days in which to make up your mind, and get something more "average" in looks if you don't like it.

Thanks for the additional thoughts.  Very helpful context.  Attached is a new ASET from JA.  Again no blue light / contrast.  This is an AGS Ideal 0 rated diamond.  This ASET matches the AGS Certificate image – as I can match up all the green areas…but the AGS image shows a fair amount of blue.  So obviously, JA is doing something different with the imaging technique.

The trade off with this stone is it’s an S1 vs. the others were VS2.   It seems to be a pretty clean stone, but has a feather along the edge of one corner.  Do you think that creates the risk of the stone cracking there downstream?  Not looking to spend more so the trade-off here seems to be the better light performance vs the lower clarity grade and the feather issue.

Again thoughts / suggestions most appreciated.

Yep, that's the tradeoff. 

An SI1 inclusion, by definition, does not have a significant affect on the beauty or durability of the stone.

The table size will be listed on the AGSL report.  It's neither necessary or even helpful to try and extrapolate if from an ASET image. 

• 11 months later...

It looks like a very bright diamond (the ASET you posted in post #10). You will be happy with your purchase if you went with that diamond :)

P.S I personally placed a lot of emphasis on diamond table to depth proportion, but learnt that if you can judge a diamond by it's ASET or it's AGS result, table to length ratio have no meaning as they only 'assist' but are not the be all and end all in proportion to pavilion angles etc

Go by the AGS result or ASET, and ASET in post #10 looks good and I doubt you will be disappointed :)