I Got It!!!!!! My Pendant!

mellowyellow

[snip] (The chlorine could cloud the stone, aside from harm the setting.)

Um, no, sorry. The silver (and copper) in a gold alloy may be affected by a high concentration or prolonged exposure to chlorine, and leave pitting on the metal or even crack a soldered join. On the other hand, you could leave a diamond in pure chlorine (or even hydrochloric acid) at ambient temperature for a week, and nothing would happen to it. Accurate rinsing is strongly recommended, though ;)

Um, no, sorry. The silver (and copper) in a gold alloy may be affected by a high concentration or prolonged exposure to chlorine, and leave pitting on the metal or even crack a soldered join. On the other hand, you could leave a diamond in pure chlorine (or even hydrochloric acid) at ambient temperature for a week, and nothing would happen to it. Accurate rinsing is strongly recommended, though ;)

Sorry about that, our senior gemologist pointed out as much, and so I've logged in tonight to fix it. But you've beat me to it :) Thanks, Davide!

Edited by bluerose

oh dear! I have been going swimming with Feral Toddler twice a week (chlorine pool). Should I take the necklace off?

If it's platinum, it's totally unaffected. 18k gold is usually OK, but it depends on a lot of stuff (which alloy metals were used, porosity of surface, any plating...). 14k and lower, safer to take it off (subject to same above, but less gold which isn't affected). Bear in mind that none of this is quick in any case, so for a few hours of exposure you (and the jewel) will definitely be OK.

In addition, I assume that with the toddler you won't have spent most of the time in water up to your neck...

Edited by davidelevi

• 1 month later...

Davide!!! Hoping you will see this as I feel weird starting another thread!

I was reading in another thread that (I think it was you who said this) that if a cloud is a grade maker and accompanied by the comment "additional clouds not shown" it could make the diamond look....well cloudy!

What grade is this normally applied to? 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...