Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
mrfox2

Which Ring Should We Get? Should I Do Insurance?

Hey everyone. Thanks for taking the time in looking at this post. I'm new to the forum, and I appreciate your input.

My girlfriend picked the style of ring she wanted: a princess stone with baguette channel and small rounds to make a halo effect. She doesn't care how big it is or how expensive it is.

I just bought a ring on a website called www.ice.com. Here's a link to the exact one I purchased:

http://www.ice.com/product/rings/engagement-diamond-ring-prd_rdb_015434

I bought it for $1,866 during a Valentine's Day promotion. It's really pretty, but I'm very concerned about the small diamonds popping out. Ice.com does not offer a warranty after 30 days. Should this concern me? Should I send it back?

I'm half debating whether to keep this ring and privately insure it, or to buy this one:

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12079759#

I contacted Zales about owning one, and they said they'll throw in a 10% discount. So with the lifetime diamond guarantee (she told me the cost is $200), it'll be roughly $3,818.

What would you guys do? I actually already proposed to her with the one from Ice.com, so we are now engaged. This is the exact style of ring that we want, so if you know of any other places that have similar styles, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Small stones like that coming out are a function of the crafstmanship more than of the style so there's no way to tell without inspecting the piece. If you are worried, get it appraised by an independent pro and specifically ask questions about the craftsmanship. The bright side is that repairs if it ever happens aren't usually all that expensive. The $2000 premium for the Zales one will cover a LOT of repairs. Insurance doesn't normally cover this sort of thing but it DOES cover loss of the piece entirely and loss of the center stone, which is why most people get it. I don't know your temprament for insurance but my guess is that it would be a good idea. Normally it's about 1-2%/year so you're talking about $40.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

Thanks for the reply! So the shape of the body (baguette channel) will have nothing to do with stones popping out, but it has to do with the craftsmanship? I'll definitely have to check it out.

Would you recommend, though, just returning the ice.com ring without getting it appraised while switching to the Zales? Or should I appraised the Ice.com ring and privately insure it? My tolerance for insurance is to the level where I'm comfortable doing it. Heck, 10 years of insurance is $400, which is still 1/5 of what it would take to spend for the premium of the Zales ring.

Assuming you like the ring, I"m not seeing the point of returning it and swapping for the Zales but that's the heart of the issue. If you're worried about whether the ring is defective, get it appraised by an independent pro. This applies to the Zales ring as well by the way. I haven't a clue if there's a craftsmanship issue here but this ALSO applies to the Zales piece. I would recommend an independent appraisal on either one of them and for exactly the same reasons. Would she like the Zales one better? That's the zinger and we have no way to tell. Financially, you clearly end up with more money left in your pocket with the Ice one and, all other things being equal, that's a good thing.

If you don't like the ring, send it back for THAT reason. None of the rest of this matters a bit.

FWIW, chances are good you would still want the insurance with the Zales one as well. The warranty doesn't cover loss or theft of the whole ring, which is the biggest risk anyway. If you want to be fair about the math it's even worth noting that the insurance for the Zales one will actually be a little bit more.

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

For the most part, even things that are less expensive aren't made to just fall apart. Return policy/warranty or no, no one wants to get a reputation for selling goods that fall apart.  That said, you have a greater risk of losing a stone at SOME POINT when you're talking about a lot of small stones, because the bits of metal holding them in place is smaller--has to be, or it covers the stone or looks clunky.   Does that mean that you WILL lose a stone?  No.  But rings take a bigger beating than most any other jewelry (think of all the things you do with your hands in a day. Multiply that by 365. it's a lot!), so the chance of knocking out a stone are certainly there.   But the biggest chance that you're going to lose a stone is if you're having to size the ring significantly up or down.  If you don't anticipate that, then you've little to worry about.  

I do agree that--whatever you do--you aught to have the ring checked out by someone else; someone with no dog in the fight.  Maybe you know of a local place that will clean it for free, and you can ask them to check and see if anything is loose or looks like it might need a tightening-up soon.   Beyond that, I'd say it is still ALWAYS wise to have your own insurance on the ring in case of theft or loss.  Consider that it's one of the major purchases in your life--you want to protect that investment, don't you?

Diamonds Graduate, Pearls Graduate, AJP GIA

I'm still not understanding what you hope to gain by this. As far as I can tell, both you and she are happy witht the one you got, it was cheaper, and now it's the one that you actually got engaged with. Where's the upside of swapping it out? Is there a problem with this one that you haven't told us?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA