Need Help On Cushion Diamond

Cushiondiamond

hello everyone!

I am looking for a cushion diamond and have come a couple I am considering. i am planning on geting a micropave setting and both stones are around $20k. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Stone 1: 2.00ct, VVS1, F Colour, excellent polish, VG symmetry, 7.77X6.80X4.62, no fluorescence, 65% table, 67.9% depth

Stone 2: 2.07ct, VVS2, G colour, excellent polish, VG symmetry, 7.24x7.05x4.72, no fluorescence, 60% table, 67% depth

post-131755-0-86782300-1347934696_thumb.jpg

post-131755-0-39074600-1347934710_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cushiondiamond

What type of advice were you seeking? You are already one or two steps ahead of the pack since you are dealing with someone that is sending you photos (and therefore has got the stones in hand). The ideal situation would be for you to meet them face to face (and the stones), so that you can see them and make your mind up: at this point there is no right or wrong, just what you like. FWIW, I like the squarer looks and smaller table of the second one better, but that's me; YMMV.

If you are looking for some comparable prices, use the Diamond Finder and you should find a few tens of stones of comparable weight (2.00-2.20) colour and clarity to benchmark against. Bear in mind that prices for fancy cuts (non-rounds) will vary considerably as a function of what they look like, but there is no way to understand that from the information provided on the GIA report - to a large extent you have to trust the sellers that the more expensive ones do look nicer, or you have to see them in person (or at least in photo).

Final remark: why are you going for such a high clarity? Above SI1/VS2, you are paying for rarity, not looks, unless you have a surgically implanted microscope attached to your forehead. :) This said, I do understand that nice cushions are relatively rare, and you may be taking what is on the market. Just be aware that you may be paying for something that you won't see.

im trying get some advice on which one people think is better value / looks nicer. I realise you probably don't need such a high clarity diamond, however since I won't be able to see this diamond in person (buying online), i wanted to make sure that whatever I buy, I can almost be guaranteed that it is eye clean (hence, I am going for VVS2 and above). It seems from the diamond finder that 20k for a diamond with these specs are reasonable..

i like the square one too, but the rectangular ones does look whiter and more sparkly to me..

A VS2 will be totally eye clean, and so will the majority of SI1. VVS is definitely overkill. Plus, if you trust photos (and the dealer) to tell you about cut, you can trust them more to tell you about clarity.

The difference in colour between F and G is minute, and once set it will be completely unnoticeable. Judging sparkle from one static photo is a difficult not to say impossible task. All I can tell you is that neither have unpleasant dark areas in those photos, and - as far as it goes - that is a good sign.

i like the square one too, but the rectangular ones does look whiter and more sparkly to me..

It may be, but you can't use a photograph to evaluate color like this either. There's a huge variable associated with the settings on the camera, minor variations in the lighting, etc. Ask your seller if they can see the difference in person or if what you're seeing is a photographic artifact.

FWIW, I like the square one.

Edited by denverappraiser