Need Help Selecting An Emerald Cut Diamond

thediamondcutter

First off, thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I'm a newbie to this forum and thought that I'd try and get some valuable input from all you diamond experts!

I'm looking for an emerald diamond between 1.5-2 carats, VS1 clarity and above, G color and above and GIA/AGS certified. Ideally I'd like to spend 15k to 18k, but I am willing to go a bit over if it makes sense. Ideally, I want a great cut, clarity, color, etc., but I also want that "wow" factor when my gf (hopefully fiance) and others see it so the size somewhat matters as well. Based on my novice knowledge so far, I'm interested in the three diamonds below. I've left out the pricing on purpose just to see what people have to say for each.

How would you rank the following options from first to last based on what my needs are? Why?Feel free to recommend any others if you see any.

Option 1

Carat: 1.78

Cut: Good

Color: F

Clarity: VVS1

Depth: 64.3

Table: 66

Polish: Very good

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence: None

Dimensions: 7.96x6.96

Option 2

Carat: 1.82

Cut: Excellent

Color: G

Clarity: VS1

Depth: 68

Table: 62

Polish: Very good

Symmetry: Very good

Dimensions: 7.81x6.02

Option 3

Carat: 1.64

Cut: Excellent

Color: F

Clarity: VVS1

Depth: 67.3

Table: 62

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Dimensions: 8.02x5.65

Thanks in advance!

Edited by thediamondcutter

To provide a sensible commentary, allow me a couple of questions first:

1. Who (which lab, if any) graded the diamonds for colour and clarity?

2. Who graded the cut? If not AGS, what criteria did they use?

And a third question about you rather than the diamonds:

3. Why did you end up with F-G VVS stones?

Not really. GIA does not grade cut on non-rounds, so who graded those for cut? Using what criteria/information? What reason do you have to trust that those criteria are valid?

My question re: colour and clarity could be read in another way: have you seen any F, G, H and I colour emerald cuts? What about VVS1, VS1, VS2 and SI1 diamonds?

I'm not trying to put you off your initial selection - I'm trying to make you think... There's a lot of fine detail in the way in which diamonds are graded, and a lot of it is invisible in most conditions to most people.

No worries. My criteria was based on what I've seen and what I think my gf would like. I myself can't see much/any difference in color from E to H. For clarity, I know SI1 and up are pretty much eye clean so my decision was based off of the aforementioned gfs preferences and what I would like to get. The second option is actually VS1.

As for the cut, sorry I misunderstood. I'm not sure where the grade came from, but I have to assume it was from the jeweller. I'm fairly comfortable with their assessment and honesty. We can ignore that spec for now, but I'll also ask the jeweller more info about it.

All in all, I want a diamond that my gf won't look at in a year and say she wants a better quality or larger one... if that's possible =P

Well - continuing the questioning (don't you just love Socrates?):

If you trust the jeweller to do something that the rest of the industry has developed no well accepted standard for, why are you asking for a sight-unseen opinion on a forum?

BTW - it is not something to "ignore". It is probably the single (or rather, multiple, since cut involves multiple evaluation criteria) factor that has the greatest impact on looks, and a considerable effect on price.

BTW2 - it is perfectly possible. You just need to get her another larger diamond before she asks. :ph34r: Just kidding. However, the key question in this is "what would she really like?" My wife still wears every day a small (Tiffany Etoile) platinum band that I gave her 12 years ago (long story, but it's not a wedding band), and would not replace it for anything else, even though she's got considerably nicer and way more expensive rings.

I won't ignore it completely... just for now until I get more info ;)

They may be a reputable jeweller and provide great products and service, but it's always nice to hear another persons opinion, right?

I know that, regardless of my choice, my gf will love and appreciate the diamond; however, I'm curious as to what others in the industry think of the choices given. I want to eliminate as much of the "I want a bigger/nicer diamond" thoughts from her mind as possible :P

It's easy enough to use the 'diamond finder' link at the top of the page to find similarly described items and look up the prices. Davide's Socratic approach is leading towards the idea that the answer isn't in the price, even though that's what you've coyly asked. The look of emerald cuts has a lot more to do with the cutting than either cutting or clarity above certain levels while the price has a lot to do with the color and clarity with a 'discount' for the way it looks.

The look has to do with several variables. length to width ratio, the size and matching of the cut corners, the number and angle of steps on the pavilion as well as the length of the keel line, the height of the crown and table size, and the girdle thickness. Most of this is not included in your list above and actually most of it isn't present on the GIA report either. It comes from a more in depth cut evaluation and from actually looking at them.

Have you seen any or all of the stones? Did you have any preferences? Going with the one that you find the prettiest isn't such a bad idea. Ask the jeweler what criteria they're using for cut grading, especially why 2 are 'excellent' and one is 'good'. I would take that to mean that they think there's a defect of some sort with that one. Maybe that's ok but it's good to understand what it is.

Edited by denverappraiser

Hey Denver, thanks for that useful info! This is what I needed to hear. I don't have that information yet, but I'll definitely ask the jeweller about those and report back.

It's still early in my search so I haven't received the images yet, but I'll try to ask for as many and detailed as possible to help weed out the "bad" ones where I can.

Edited by thediamondcutter

Bear in mind that there's not a 'correct' answer to these questions. They have an affect on the light behavior and the overall look of the stone but there's not a set of specs that you'll be able to produce saying which is best. It's rather like asking who is the best painter. It's easy to observe that a Picasso painting doesn't look especially like a naked lady, and if that's your standard for excellence you probably shouldn't be buying one, but trying to convert this into some sort of a scale is a completely silly exercise.