Some Help Choosing Between Diamonds Please

asimov

Hi,

I'm trying to decode between these diamonds and was wondering what the experts would recommend :)

http://www.stevenstone.co.uk/diamond-display.php?did=5136709634

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02550251

Also, can anyone recommend an other Jewellers in the UK that sell the diamonds and setting separately?

Thanks

There's 15% of difference in price due to the cut grade (despite a modest discount for the fluorescence) - and this does not seem one of those cases where the cut is only a question of personal preference. Which is not to say that the cheaper stone won't look nice, but the other one is likely to be rather nicer.

This said, it seems a decidedly odd couple to end up with - they have relatively little in common. How did you pick these two out of the several hundred 0.90 G/SI1 on offer?

Most dealers will sell loose stones as well as set ones. If you are looking for a specific setting style it may be a little more difficult, in as much as the "owner" of the setting style may insist that you purchase the centre stone from them.

Hi,

Well I did a diamond search on the sites with the following criteria;

Budget: ~£3200 including VAT

Carat: 0.9

Cut: v.good - Excellent

Clarity: SI1

Colour: G

Symmetry: good+

Fluorescence: none - med

Polish: good+

Total Depth: 57 - 65 %

Table Diameter: 51.5 - 60 %

These are the criteria that I eventually settled on. If you can recommend tightening/loosening any of them for a better overall stone please do let me know.

Thanks

Edited by asimov

Forget about table and depth. There are far more sophisticated measurements taken into account by the GIA cut grade. Same for symmetry and polish.

Using your criteria, you still end up with 100+ diamonds on the Diamond Finder (which does not include Stevenstone's diamonds, so there are more available online). How did you get down to those two? Why not this one, for example:

http://www.diamondreview.com/clk.cgi?http://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/707465/

not that I'm recommending it specifically - but it does fit all your criteria and it's lower in price than the one that's comparable in cut.

Before I recommend for or against anything, I'm trying to understand how you went from 500 to 100 (mostly budget) and from 100 to 2...

I see, so then just go by their cut grading. So the symmetry and polish don't make that much difference then?

Well I live in the UK and so would like to order from somewhere over here, if possible. As far as I'm aware the Diamond Finder only includes jewellers in the US? However, if the saving is great enough I would consider purchasing from oversees.

The reason for choice between 2 diamonds is because so far my search has led me to these 2 UK-based stores whose prices seem somewhat lower than some of the others.

Edited by asimov

Symmetry and polish are taken into account by the GIA cut grade. GIA will not award "Excellent" if either Sym or Pol is below Very Good (and VG if below G).

Re: US vs. UK based. Blue Nile is not UK based (and to be honest, the difference is that they will take care of VAT by incorporating directly into your invoice, facilitating any return if need be). And most likely Stevenstone's suppliers ship in from the US or India.