Diamond With Gia Inscription But Paperwork Egl Usa???

Pallura

I'll try to make this as short and sweet as possible. We bought an engagement set online that was not certified (yes, I know)...anyway it was supposed to be EC H/VS1 1.53 ct. When received, our independent appraiser said L/M (closer to M) and VS1. I contacted the company and advised this was unacceptable and they offered two options of smaller GIA cert. stones at a higher price. I searched around a bit and found these stones certs in multiple seller's listings. I confronted them

about it and after a fumbling around for words, the rep said they contract with other sellers. I said we want our money back.

A week after returning the rings I called to check the status of refund and the rep said he would check with his supervisor. I then received an email with an EGL cert (H/VS1 1.65 ct) and video of the diamond asking if we wanted refund or to change at no additional cost. We decided to go with changing. When the ring comes, it was sent with all different EGL USA paperwork than the original (H/VVSI 1.63 ct) - it was a better stone on paper, this wasn't the problem.

Back to the appraiser we go, the stone matches neither cert on dimensions/plotting but she finds a GIA inscription (for a 1.63 ct J/VVS1 that the appraiser even said looked closer to H when comparing to master set) and we find that those dimensions line up perfectly - unfortunately to check the plot the ring would have to be removed from the setting because the couple flaws were underneath. They could have done this, but since it's a platinum setting, it was preferable not to do so. I've researched online - I have only been able to find anything with this stone cert. on two sites in China, and I do not read Chinese. I may be over thinking this, because I know it's unlikely due to cost and this is really to verify for myself - if it has the GIA laser inscription on our diamond, even if the seller shows no record of it in their inventory, it should be legit, right? I know the inscription machines are expensive, but it's for my own piece of mind.

Also, the appraiser requested a duplicate report from GIA but as they told her, it will say "duplicate". Could this pose any issues for insurance? All that said, the ring is lovely, but I just want to make sure we're covered with insurance, etc. All input is appreciated!

As you point out, the laser inscription per se is no guarantee - and in fact laser machines are no longer as expensive as they used to be. However, when you start getting the same dimensions down to +/- 0.01 mm and precise weight the chances of the stone NOT being the one that was graded by GIA are rather small. Also, why would the seller go to the length of placing a fake GIA inscription there? They didn't try to sell it to you as a "GIA J/VVS1".

I'd think the insurance company will be OK with a duplicate - at the end of the day, reports do get lost and you have gone to the trouble and expense of getting an official duplicate, rather than just going to the GIA site and printing out a pdf copy.

Davidelevi - thanks for your response. It's not SO much that I think the company would go to the trouble to do such a thing as a fake inscription for a diamond that was not what they sent the paperwork on, it's honestly more that I no longer have ANY trust in the company. They've blown it twice now (I forgot to mention that they promised to send a video of the completed ring we would have to "sign off" on before 2nd shipment - that never happened).

Our appraiser offered to send it back to GIA to verify, but with insured shipping costs (which we already paid once) and the cost to re-examine the diamond, I'm just not sure if we should, considering we can request a duplicate. My main concern is that I know dealers do inventory on consignment, but this dealer has no pre-made rings or diamonds matching this particular cert., and neither do their affiliates, just the Chinese ones I found. Would it be better to have GIA do another exam to verify?

Um. I don't understand. You don't trust the company, yet you are dealing with them? Ask for a refund - you probably have enough grounds to even get the refund awarded in a court of law - and deal with someone else. There are enough suppliers, and more than enough diamonds to find something you can be happy with, without reservations.

The fact that the diamond does/did not show up on any of the company's advertised stock is neither here nor there - they have no obligation to show all the stock they have or can access, and they may even have had to search for this particular stone as a one-off to get something that you would like.

Having the diamond re-graded by GIA is - to me - overkill. If you want to keep it because you like it - and that is good enough reason - have it unset, let the appraiser identify it with the existing GIA report and re-submit it to GIA if and only if she isn't satisfied that it is the GIA diamond, but it is fair value for money anyway.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a reason to return the stone, the fact that it does not match the dimensions listed on the EGL report is plenty of ammunition. You don't need to get into "it has a GIA inscription" or "it spoke to me and said its name was Larry, not Harry". If the report says 8.05 x 5.89 and the stone is 7.85 x 6.15 it ain't the same stone. Period.

ETA - one question, if I may: why are you concerned with the fact that it is in a platinum setting? A competent setter will have no problems (in fact, probably fewer) in resetting the stone in platinum than they would have with gold, particularly white gold.

Edited by davidelevi

I'm not really understanding the problem either. Do you like the stone? Assuming the GIA grade is correct, are you happy with the deal?

Your insurance company will have no problme with a 'duplicate' report. Occasionally dealers have issues because it makes stones harder for them to sell but beyond problems with condition, which is a question for the appraiser anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.

It sounds like the appraiser HAS verified it's the correct stone for the GIA database and not the correct stone for what you bought. That's a rock solid deal killer if you want it. They're just unwilling to 'sign off' on it because they can't actually weigh it and they can't inspect a VVS plot. Does it really matter to you? A GIA inspection will require pulling and resetting and shipping by the way. What do you hope to gain?

I second Davide's question of why you're still in this at all. If you don't trust the dealer, take a hike.

FWIW, it's decidedly unusual at the moment for the bad guys to conterfeit the GIA logo in girdle inscriptions. It's not that they couldn't do it, and it surely does happen occasionally, but the whole point would be to slip through an inferior stone and get an upgrade. Every 'genuine' GIA inscription has that logo, not just the number. They're etxtremely unlikely to do that with a J color emerald cut. Those are hard to sell anyway. I would be far more concerned if you had an E/VVS 3 carat round where a single grade bump can mean tens of thousands of dollars.

Honestly, I wasn't confident about giving them a second chance, but it seemed like they were trying to make it right and I did a ton of research on them - BBB A+ and only positive reviews could be found. At this point, I just don't want to have to deal with returning it again/dealing with them, and paying shipping, etc. The stone is fine, we're happy with it - doesn't look like a J - but I wanted to make sure this didn't seem shady or like it would be an issue down the road in some way.