Just Bought A Diamond... Worrying About The Color

cokewithvanilla

Hello,

I finally purchased a diamond. I ended up going to Soloman Brothers in Atlanta. I got a 1.26ct round VS2 F color excellent cut. I looked at it in the store and it has no flaws to the eye, excellent color... ect.. I bought it. I came home and looked at it in the bathroom and it looks yellow! I took it outside and it's white again. In natural light it is colorless, but in certain light it is so yellow. Is this normal or have I been had? I knew the store would have the best lighting, but I did not expect the stone to change color so much based on the lighting. I was worried when I got the appraisal and its EGL Isreal

Edited by cokewithvanilla

Lighting is important and yes, the store surely knows this. Incandescent bulbs tend to burn yellow and, of course, if there's yellow walls or items in the room it'll reflect yellow. Is it a GIA-F? Probably not but it probably didn't cost like a GIA-F either. Most people don't start to see color in a mounted stone until they're looking at I-J-K so you've got some room.

Thanks. I think I will give it to her and if it bothers her then I will do something. I've been examining it for a few hours and I finally found a flaw in the stone... if I shine a light at the edge of the diamond, I see a tiny reflection from a little bit to the left of center. I have 28 days to return/exchange the stone.... they also have a lifetime upgrade policy.... do you think either of this is a concern? I paid 6500 before tax.

The other factor to consider re: colour is fluorescence. Blue fluorescence will decrease the perceived level of yellow... but only in sunlight (artificial light does not have enough UV to activate the fluorescence). What does the report say with regards to fluorescence? Do you have a UV light or access to one?

I don't understand what you mean by "tiny reflection" - diamonds are full of reflections, and aren't perfectly symmetrical, but even a correctly graded VS2 will have inclusions that are visible under some circumstances. Are you using a loupe or another magnifying tool? Is there a plot on the report specifying the type and location of inclusions?

Is either factor a concern? Yes and no. It is not a concern in as much as the diamond is what it is, you like it (to some extent at least) and it doesn't sound like either factor is threatening its integrity or durability.

Both are a concern if you want to have some comparability and know an accurate colour and clarity (and cut) grade: I have no reason to trust EGL Israel on that account, and neither do you. Get your own trusted expert who can see the stone, hear what (s)he has to say, and decide based on that - any price/value conclusion is highly dependent on "real" colour and clarity, BTW.

'Upgrade' policies can be full of traps if it's an important issue to you. I haven't read theirs and Solomon Bros seems to be a pretty well regarded outfit but read the fine print if this is going to be important. There are ALWAYS zingers. How your diamond compares with others is pretty much completely undermined because of the EGL Israel pedigree but it sounds within the realm of reasonable and if she loves it I'd call it a hit. If you really want to know what the grade is, hire your own grader, and if it's going to be a deciding point, make sure to get it graded while you're still within the 28 days and while you've got a few days left for return shipping if you decide you'll need it.

Edited by denverappraiser

Hello,

I finally purchased a diamond. I ended up going to Soloman Brothers in Atlanta. I got a 1.26ct round VS2 F color excellent cut. I looked at it in the store and it has no flaws to the eye, excellent color... ect.. I bought it. I came home and looked at it in the bathroom and it looks yellow! I took it outside and it's white again. In natural light it is colorless, but in certain light it is so yellow. Is this normal or have I been had? I knew the store would have the best lighting, but I did not expect the stone to change color so much based on the lighting. I was worried when I got the appraisal and its EGL Isreal

Uh Oh. You got an EGL graded diamond. !!! It's more that likely not an F color or VS2.

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to take it to work and walk around to see how it looks in all different lighting. I have yet to find another place that It is yellowish. The bathrooms are painted a yellowish brown, so that is possible. Everywhere i go, the diamond is colorless except my bathroom. The bathroom has the old style light bulbs.

I did buy this stone after looking at a lot of diamonds and I bought it because it was the cleanest, whitest stone I've seen in my price range. Since getting it, I have found flaws after hours of Inspection. In most all conditions the stone is very white, my only issue is the bathroom, and maybe that your of lighting... I don't know if this is worth trying to exchange it... Do you think I could easily find a completely eye clean stone with good coloring at this price point?

One thing I know is that it sparkles like hell... If I'd never seen it in he bathroom

Light, I'd have nothing bad to say... I was completely taken with it on sight