Acquired A 4.16Ct Smb E/si2 Looking To Increase Clarity With A Possible Re-Cut?

ronk15a

I recently acquired a 4.16ct square modified brilliant that I’m looking to increase the clarity, by re-cutting. I’m interested in two possible scenarios. First is a possible re-cut to a 4.01ct E color SI1, second is a 3.51ct E color VS2. I have provided an image of the GIA report for your review. Please look at the report/plot and let me know what you think as far as clarity improvement potential?

I personally don’t feel that the clarity can be improved because of the location of the imperfections…They are predominantly black carbon inclusions spread-out through the entire stone as seen in the plot, the imperfections range in size from: tiny, small, medium too large. They are all over the stone and predominately in the center and away from the edges except for 7-8 tiny to small ones.

I also believe that the stone was graded very "favorably" as an SI2 because I think it is an honest I1. I have counted roughly 40 inclusions. They are all predominantly RED: for internal imperfections.

I know that the stone needs to be seen in person by a "master cutter" but prior to an in person inspection; I would like your overall opinion. Thanks again for looking!

post-130344-0-73539600-1345065779_thumb.jpg

post-130344-0-26439500-1345065788_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronk15a

I'm not a cutter, and I think you have answered your own question... but to be honest I think there is little you can do to improve clarity here unless the carbons happen to lie on or near the skin of the stone. I would also be concerned with a re-cut that the naturals/feathers on two of the corners (pavilion view; I cannot understand what they are) could cause breakages and drop the stone down to 3.00 or even below (or a crap cut).

A 3.51/E/VS2 or even SI1 would be a massive improvement over a 4.18/E/I1 both in terms of pricing and saleability. Whether or not this is possible is an entirely different question. A GIA report doesn't contain anything like enough information to make this decision and the amount of ink used in the map has nothing at all to do with it. If you already own it and you think there's a credibile possibility, there are thousands of dollars on the table and consulting with someone who actually knows what they're doing and who can actually see the stone to make the call seems appropraite. Even then it's difficult. This sort of thing is not without it's risk, especially since you describe it as documented with a lucky SI2 already. GIA grading results are notoriously difficult to predict and the very best out there miss the estimate on a significant fraction of the stones they evaluate (obviously there's no stats available on this but I would guess it's upwards of 20%). A recut 4.18/SI2 to a 3.99/I1 would be an enormous loss. Cutting comes with no guarantees.

Edited by denverappraiser

I recently acquired a 4.16ct square modified brilliant that I’m looking to increase the clarity, by re-cutting. I’m interested in two possible scenarios. First is a possible re-cut to a 4.01ct E color SI1, second is a 3.51ct E color VS2. I have provided an image of the GIA report for your review. Please look at the report/plot and let me know what you think as far as clarity improvement potential?

I personally don’t feel that the clarity can be improved because of the location of the imperfections…They are predominantly black carbon inclusions spread-out through the entire stone as seen in the plot, the imperfections range in size from: tiny, small, medium too large. They are all over the stone and predominately in the center and away from the edges except for 7-8 tiny to small ones.

I also believe that the stone was graded very "favorably" as an SI2 because I think it is an honest I1. I have counted roughly 40 inclusions. They are all predominantly RED: for internal imperfections.

I know that the stone needs to be seen in person by a "master cutter" but prior to an in person inspection; I would like your overall opinion. Thanks again for looking!

I think you are correct that the clarity won't improve with cutting. Too many centrally located inclusions to make a VS2 grade.

After receiving your responses I examined the stone under my 10x loupe and feel that almost all of the carbons are deep and internal, and away from the edges or skin. In regards to the naturals they are located at the corner. There are 2 of them, one in each of the 2 corners. Also in regards to other imperfections there is an extra facet in one of the corners as well. I’m thinking that VS2 is out of the question at 3.51, what do you think about 4.01 SI1, based on polishing out the 2 feathers (close to skin) removing the extra facet at the corner, and cutting away the 7-8 tiny small ones discussed in the original thread.

TOO NEIL:

"If you already own it and you think there's a credibile possibility, there are thousands of dollars on the table and consulting with someone who actually knows what they're doing and who can actually see the stone to make the call seems appropraite."

Are you referring too a "master cutter" with Sarin type equipment?

Edited by ronk15a

The clarity improvement as you all know is a possible "Rap" increase from $53,664 to $78,997

In regards to what Neil was saying if I retain a horrible/drunk diamond cutter with to 2 left hands, I can come back with a 3.99 E/I1: You know; where the cutter (cuts good carbon from the stone and leaves more bad) A Good humble cutter will just say NO I CANT DO IT.....ITS TOO RISKY

I NEED A Top Notch "master cutter" like Bianco or Tolkowsky unfortunately those guys (passed) and dealt with multimillion dollar stones, and owners like De Beers and Laurence Graff. :unsure:

Edited by ronk15a

TOO NEIL: "If you already own it and you think there's a credibile possibility, there are thousands of dollars on the table and consulting with someone who actually knows what they're doing and who can actually see the stone to make the call seems appropraite."

Are you referring too a "master cutter" with Sarin type equipment?

It's usually about improving the cutting, not the clarity but yes, a sarin is a very useful tool for this.

Skilled cutters are out there, they just aren't particularly cheap. Not even the ones in India. I know several good cutting houses but they're very picky about who they will accept as a client. They want people who will supply a fair amount of work, who won't whine about the prices, who pay promptly, and who understand enough about the business that they take it in stride if something doesn't work out as planned every time. I'm reminded of a previous thread from you about cuttng where what you wanted was a cutter who will work for $90/ct instead of $150 and you insisted on a NYC address. Surely you realize that the best craftsmen are rarely the cheapest or visa versa.

Edited by denverappraiser

I agree wholeheartedly....In regards to your comment about price: I'm absolutely Not stuck on $90 per carat. I was just mentioning that for example purposes, and then if you remember I asked you guys your thoughts on a full re-cut of the 1.26ct which I have yet to do. Your Responses: ($100-200) ($150-250) per carat David, and You respectively.

I live in a major city and here the average rate for recut is $300-$350/carat for one off customers. You can find cheaper, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Please keep this thread updated. I always like seeing before and afters.

Edited by AN0NYM0US