Omc/light Pink Diamond?

balu7773

How long is a piece of string?

Who has graded the diamond "light pink"? Is the colour natural? How pink is it - Is it nearly very light pink, or is it just short of fancy light pink? What's the clarity and transparency of the stone? How well cut is it? What's the precise weight? How "nice" is it?

Without knowing all these things, prices could go from $2500 (I1 irradiated brownish-pink) to $50,000+...

Who has graded the diamond "light pink"?

I saw the diamond and it appears to be light pink. However, It has not been graded by any lab and it’s old from Brazil. I’m looking to purchase it from an estate in Finland but I do not want to pay more than its value.

Is the colour natural? Yes

How pink is it - Is it nearly very light pink, or is it just short of fancy light pink? The whole stone is beautifully pink but in a light tone.

What's the clarity and transparency of the stone? Very transparent

How well cut is it? Very lumpy, hand cut antique diamond (19th century).

What's the precise weight? It’s 9mm. I was told it is 2.5 carats OMC.

How "nice" is it? I believe it’s very nice since it’s pink and old.

Back to square 1... price range of $2500 to $50,000+.

Honest, guv, you haven't got enough information to make any decision. You assert without any laboratory grading that you know it's a diamond, and that you know that the colour is natural and it is pure pink...

It may seem pink to you, but how do you know that it's not light brownish-pink (-50% on value) or brownish (-80% on value). The fact that it is "pink" and old does not make it nice, either. And 2.49 vs. 2.50 will make a significant difference on the price too.

As I see it, you have basically two strategies:

1. Lowball. Hope that the vendor does not know more than you do about how much a pink diamond is worth, and offer them a price that is consistent with the worst case. Very unlikely to work, because vendors aren't totally uninformed, and generally they have inflated ideas about how much what they have is worth.

2. Ask the vendor to get the diamond assessed and graded professionally. It hurts in as much as then they will know what it is, but so will you, and you can still find value in a private transaction.

What's he want for it? What did it cost in 1930?

Assuming it's diamond, which is fairly easy to test, and assuming it's reasonably pretty and it's somewhere near the size described, the minimum is in the $2500-$5000 range. The MAXIMUM is huge. We're talking 6 figures. A key step to tell the difference is some fairly difficult tests and some exotic tools that basically don't exist outside of the lab. There are huge topics about cutting. There are huge topics about origin of color and treatments. There are huge topics about exactly what shade of 'light pink' we're talking about. There are huge topics about markets. All of these things make a difference of a factor of 100 or so. You can take a flyer and buy it, throw some money and time at it and hope for a homerun. You can buy it cheap enough that it doesn't really matter. You can talk him into getting it properly documented, which will drastically raise the price if it's a high end stone but will answer a fair number of the key questions. You can try and use educated guesses from a professional appraiser that you hire on your own to estimate the answers privately and then make a bid based on that (and then send it to a lab if you get it).

A sales receipt doesn't tell you much, even if it's legit, which is not a given.

If your seller knows what he's got, and he's got a lick of sense, he knows all of this already. This begs the question of why credible lab work hasn't already been done. For most people the difference between $5,000 and $500,000 is worth a bit of work on his part. Why hasn't he done it? (Maybe he has and he just hasn't told you because he doesn't like the answer. You would not be the first where this happened)

Edited by denverappraiser

I’m usually not one to reply to posts that are not initiated by me; However I was fascinated by the title…. Both David and Neil make very good points!!!!

How long is a piece of string? (Hilarious) (i was thinking the same thing)..... :rolleyes:

BTW: David, I have been reviewing the book that you suggested by James E. Shigley, on synthetic diamonds. I could not be happier with the recommendation!!!

Edited by ronk15a

Hey Neil, thanks for the link. I don't think most people will realize how amazing this stone really is. As a Fine Art expert since 1999, I have viewed MS. RAU Antiques many many times virtually over the internet. They are in my opinion: The Very Best gallery in the world today for Antiques, Fine Art, and Jewelry. They offer the best of the best. Period. You can literally spend 100's of hours looking at images, reading descriptions, etc...It's a treat!

I was just mentioning that to my partner Davide....If I had "real" money "unlimited money" I would most certainly be shopping there!!! In the meantime its a great reference, a treat for the eyes, and a pleasure to view....

In regards to the more attainable....If I ever wanted an awesome pure "fancy colored" stone flanked by whites....mounted in 18 or platinum: Crafted and polished masterfully....I would call you!!!