London Help Please :)

peterpoose

Hi folks,

I have been reading a lot about diamonds recently as I would like to buy a single diamond stud earring.

Could anyone please recommend an online jeweller in the UK that I could buy this from with a good quality stone, that has a good reputation to buy from?

I am looking for platinum, screw back with about 1/2 carat.

Thank you

Peter

• Like 2

Practically all US online dealers will ship to the UK - we do if not every day certainly several times a month. Some (like Blue Nile) have a UK registered branch which makes some aspects of returns (VAT refund) easier, but at the end of the day if you know what you are buying the likelihood of a return is low.

• Like 1

Practically all US online dealers will ship to the UK - we do if not every day certainly several times a month. Some (like Blue Nile) have a UK registered branch which makes some aspects of returns (VAT refund) easier, but at the end of the day if you know what you are buying the likelihood of a return is low.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I don't mind where I buy it from as long as I can get a recommendation from the right people to purchase it from :)

• Like 1

As I said, the major online retailers will ship to the UK: Blue Nile, James Allen, Union Diamonds. It all depends on what you want - a "1/2 carat" diamond can go from $6000 to $400, and a plain platinum setting can be $100 or $500...

The difference can be that much?

I looked at Blue Nile and they seem to be ok. I found a diamond for like a $1000 which is fine. It was an E, VVS1, Ideal cut, 1/2 carat. How can the jump be so much in price from the one I found when it is nearing the best ends of the diamond tables?

Thanks

• Like 1

Go visit Tiffany & Co and ask them how much they'll charge you to make a 1/2 carat stud earring. It'll probably be under that $6k number but you'll be stunned (assuming they agree to do it at all).

How can they ask so much? Because they can. They're Tiff's and you're not. Do they actually get it? Yes, regularly. Are they likely to get it from YOU? Probably not.

Edited by denverappraiser
  • Like 1

Go visit Tiffany & Co and ask them how much they'll charge you to make a 1/2 carat stud earring. It'll probably be under that $6k number but you'll be stunned (assuming they agree to do it at all).

How can they ask so much? Because they can. They're Tiff's and you're not. Do they actually get it? Yes, regularly. Are they likely to get it from YOU? Probably not.

I see your point but its actual value would be a lot less then?

• Like 1

Define 'value'?

Some people really like Tiffany and are willing to pay extra for the bragging rights of having shopped there and the pride of ownership of a Tiffany made piece. Others want that same sort of shopping experience but at a more modest sort of shop. Still others are looking for the lowest price per spec and are willing to put up with some inconvenience of shopping long distance. I wouldn't call ANY of these people more right than the others and each is getting what they value. Put another way, few people go into Tiffany's thinking that's a cheap place to buy stuff and nearly everyone who shops there goes home happy. That's value. Whether or not YOU value it is up to you.

• Like 1

And to top it off, a D/IF can be $6000 on its own, without a Tiffany or Cartier brand attached to it. Again, whether it is "value" is up to the buyer, particularly since as you point out an E/VVS2 is much less and once set it will be totally undistinguishable from a D/IF.

BTW - VVS2 clarity for an earring is definitely overkill. Unless you belong to a tribe of ear observers. ;)

• Like 1

And to top it off, a D/IF can be $6000 on its own, without a Tiffany or Cartier brand attached to it. Again, whether it is "value" is up to the buyer, particularly since as you point out an E/VVS2 is much less and once set it will be totally undistinguishable from a D/IF.

BTW - VVS2 clarity for an earring is definitely overkill. Unless you belong to a tribe of ear observers. ;)

lol really?

Well the difference in cost is a few pounds really. I tried lowering the scales at Blue Nile and the difference in cost is minimal. I guess it would make for a better sell on price if I ever wanted to sell :)

Yep I totally understand what you are both saying and appreciate your input :)

• Like 1

Resale prices have far more to do with your own sales talents than with the merchandise but big, flashy and cheap are the things that seem to move single earrings over on this side of the pond. Not that it matters. Don't go into this ever expecting to see any of your money again. Buy what you like and 'invest' somewhere else.

A G/SI1 should be about half the price or less of an otherwise similar E/VVS. I guess it depends on what your sensitivity is but I count that as pretty significant.

• Like 1

That's an interesting one. I don't KNOW, but I guess it's because of one or more of the following:

1. Fluorescence. Particularly with high colours (G+), medium blue or above can be 5-10% less than a non-fluorescent stone

2. Different supplier. Often there is a price for having a stone available exclusively (and sometimes the same stone is offered at different prices to different dealers). Note that one stone is available faster - possibly indicating a closer relationship with the supplier.

3. Old stock. Diamonds have increased in price considerably over the last year or so.

4. Details of cut (thrown into the mix with the better polish and symmetry of the cheaper stone)

Edited by davidelevi
  • Like 1

I think you did very well. You have something that you like at a reasonable price, and no-one can tell you it's not a nice stone.

One last piece of advice: ear studs are notorious for getting lots of dirt and grease on the pavilion of the stone. Clean it regularly (warm water, washing up liquid, soft toothbrush, rinse in surgical spirit if you live in a location with hard water and dry off) and it will stay shiny.

Enjoy!

I think you did very well. You have something that you like at a reasonable price, and no-one can tell you it's not a nice stone.

One last piece of advice: ear studs are notorious for getting lots of dirt and grease on the pavilion of the stone. Clean it regularly (warm water, washing up liquid, soft toothbrush, rinse in surgical spirit if you live in a location with hard water and dry off) and it will stay shiny.

Enjoy!

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice, its something I wouldn't have thought of doing and I sure will now :)