Best Engagement Ring For 15-17K

CT1977

I'm new to this community and is looking for some advice. I've have looked and researched a bit am is looking for feedback and recommendations. I'm looking for a plain tiffany platinum setting with a round shape diamond (GIA)

Within my budget, this looks like my best bet

1.8ct, GIA excellent cut/ G or F/SI2 (about 16k)

or

1.6 ct GIA excellent cut/ F/ SI1 (about 17.5k)

How much does fluorescent matter? My jeweler doesn't carry anything w/ it and doesn't recommend it, but I know I can get a pretty good discount if pick out a rock w/ strong fluorescent. Both the above came from my jeweler are w/o fluorescent.

Thank you.

Fluorescence is largely irrelevant (other than to prices) because it does not affect appearance other than in sunlight., and it is generally evaluated by viewers as "good".. (see this GIA study http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf). The only caveat is the presence of "overblue" stones that become hazy or oily in appearance, but they are fairly rare and immediately visible. The same reasoning could be applied to the purchase of an SI clarity stone: some have visible inclusions, but when they do they are visible (doh!).

Will there be any situation where the diamond will turn blue? How much UV rays will it take? I am really trying to get the best bang for the buck, but I don't want her to go into a night club and have her rock flash a blue light.

I saw the inclusions under a 10x magnifying glass and can clearly see the inclusions, but they are clean eye and looked the same to me w/o the 10x magnifying glass. With that said, should I still go for the Si1 and lower caret count?

In a night club with a fair amount of UV you will likely see the diamond blue - because it's a combination of relatively high UV and relatively low visible light, so the fluorescence will stand out. I quite like the effect, actually. A decent quality UV led light will be about $20 (on eBay or at www.kassoy.com) if you want to check what it does look like.

On the SI1 vs. SI2 - I take it that when you say "they are clean eye and looked the same to me w/o the 10x magnifying glass" you mean that the SI1 looked much like the SI2 without the loupe. If that's the case, and you are comfortable that she is OK with that level of inclusions (some people are more eagle-eyed than others, and some people worry more about inclusions than others), then go with the stone you like best, regardless of the clarity grade.

Thanks David. Yes, by clean eye, they both looked the same to me w/o the magnifying device. I know there's inclusion but I can't see it and I'm sure she won't be able to unless we use the magnifying glass. Is the inclusion anything to worry about? (beside being an inclusion) With my budget, an Si2 stone seems to be most feasible.

SI inclusions generally are not a problem, but it does depend a bit on where they are located (feathers around the girdle might be a risk when setting, but it depends on the feather, the setting, the setter, ...). If you are at all concerned, get an expert to see the stone; there is a limit to what one can say remotely.