Egl-Usa Vs Gia

kalel

hi, Im looking to buy a diamond from a diamond dealer. I keep hearing and reading different things. Ive read that egl grades their diamonds more loosely. The dealers have been telling me that egl usa is ok, and that egl international is the one you have to worry about. can you guys please help. Is there a difference. Should i not risk it and get GIA? The dealer shows me both and they look the same. Ahhh

EGL-USA is a completely separate company from EGL International. EGLI has several franchises in different countries so, in practice, they are several companies within that brand. They do not all share the same methodology or even the same grading scales. Each does whatever they want. To answer your question, yes, there's a difference.

I would not make a serious purchase relying on ANY of them. The problem is consistency. Sometimes EGL-F means GIA-G and sometimes it means GIA-I or something else. Understanding what's typical doesn't much matter because what you really want to know is the details on a particular stone. Is it a G? Is it an SI2? Is it fluroescent or not? What are the details of the cutting? Has it been treated? Is it even a diamond? These are all datapoints where you're relying on the lab so the FIRST question should be to decide if they're reliable. If not, don't just discount them, ignore them, and if you decide you're being asked to rely on a source that's misleading, don't just hold it against the lab, hold it against the dealer.

• Like 1

It's pretty easy to look for comps in the database here. There's a link at the top of the page called 'diamond finder' that will surely list a fair number of stones about like that from price competitive dealers and you can see the prices for yourself. Whether or not it's a 'deal' depends on several variables, the most important being if it's what you want. How did you come to that set of specs? In particular, did you star out looking for an F/VVS/VG or is that just what the dealer happen to have. It's a somewhat unusual combination.

Because it has higher colour and clarity than what people usually demand (most popular is G-H/VS), and yet the cut is not graded all that highly (GIA VG effectively means it's in the bottom 50% of GIA-graded diamonds cut today, though we should know a lot more about the stone to understand why it's been graded VG).

Diamond pricing is a bit like the whack-a-mole game at the fair. Knock one thing down and something else pops up. People tend to start with the notion that they want a 2 carat D/IF/xxx because she's worth it. How much can a pebble cost after all? After they recover from the shock from the answer to that question they start to compromise on weight, clarity, color and cutting in order to get down to a budget they can live with. That's just the way it goes. D/VVS2 is on the order of triple the price of an otherwise similar H/SI1 and there are 16 options between. The difference between x and vg cutting is on the order of 10-25% depending on the details. Choosing to go high on the Color/Clarity scales and low or even medium on the cut scale is unusual. Is it wrong? No, that depends on why it's VG and what your criteria are. There are some awsome rocks in the VG range and the fact that they're a little bit cheaper is a feature, not a problem, but it is cause for asking more questions.