Help Diamond Rookie

aditis

I am looking at purchasing the diamond. The price is around 33,000 usd including a mount and tax. The only thing that concerns me is the cloud. I would really appreciate your professional advice

The carat size is 2.23 and the Gia certificate number is 2145629261. Unable to attach the cert on my iPad. You can access it off Gia.com. Thanks in advance

https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2145629261&weight=2.23

2.23/H/VVS2/xxx/GIA

What's the worry about the cloud? It's a VVS2. It will not be visible without magnification, it probably won't even be visible WITH magnification unless you know what you're looking for.

You didn’t mention the dealer or the nature of the mounting and these are two important issues. It’s easy enough to search in the database for similar offers from others and I suspect you’ll find that’s pretty price competitive.

How did you decide on this particular stone? In particular, was VVS2 a spec that came from you or the dealer? What about the H?

With this sort of thing the budget is heavily related to the diamond but the ‘look’ of the finished product is also heavy on the mounting. They range from a few hundred to tens of thousands of dollars depending on what you want and who you have make it. Can you tell us more?

Edited by denverappraiser

all the specs where provided by me. The mount Is a simple 4 prong settig with 1-2cents diamond running throughtout the circumference of the ring. Diamond quality being EF VVS set in white gold. He is also willing to throw in the laser inscription of the certificate numbe as that was a another one of my specificationsr. I am located in India. I have also touched and felt the stone yesterday.

What are your thoughts on the measurements? The dealer is caratlane.com. My other concern is that they do not do a buy back guarantee but they do list ur diamond on there website at your asking price and charge me commission.

Don't know that dealer but it all sounds pretty reasonable, especially if you're familiar with the dealer and you find them trustworthy. If it's what you're looking for I think you'll be hard pressed to find something simlar for less.

Measurements are fine on paper, and I see no reason to expect it to be anything less in person.

I'm pretty big on a return guarantee for some reasonable amount of time, say a week, so you can have it checked out by YOUR chosen expert and confirm that everything is on the up and up but this isn't really the same as a long term guarantee. Are they refusing to allow even a brief visit to your own chosen appraiser?

I had a very close friend go take a look at it as well. She is a small time jeweler and a gia certified spealist and very near and dear friend.She said the fire and cut of the stone were excellent. When I showed her the certificate ltr, she told me her only concern was the "cloud" but it did not seem to affect the appearance of the stone. They have a 15day return policy. In the even of me ever wanting to sell. They will relist the stone.

OK, you've had your expert look at it already and she was worried about the cloud. She's seen it, I haven't. You chose her, you stumbled across me online. Go with her. A cloud in a correctly graded VVS2 will not affect the appearance of the stone and she seems to agree with that. I don't understand the concern. Is she worried about something OTHER than the appearance of the stone? Is she suggesting that it should properly be graded as something OTHER than VVS2? Something else? What's the issue?

I just wanted your opinion :). It doesn't get btr than a Gia certificate i guess right? With regards to the clarity. We are going to go back tomorrow and take a look at the stone again. My issue was that since he's willing to throw in the setting n absorb the tax etc, is this too good to be true? But he's a reputed jeweler and we meet socially often, so I doubt he'd try and hide anything.

She said pick it up NOW!!! But I wanted to check with you 1st to se if you approve everything on paper at least.i have never ever made such a huge purchase in my life and I'm just nervous about doing so. My husband and I are having a baby so this is a present from him. I just don't want to make a mistake

Thank you so much for your advice and sorry for the troubl

https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2145629261&weight=2.23

2.23/H/VVS2/xxx/GIA

What's the worry about the cloud? It's a VVS2. It will not be visible without magnification, it probably won't even be visible WITH magnification unless you know what you're looking for.

You didn’t mention the dealer or the nature of the mounting and these are two important issues. It’s easy enough to search in the database for similar offers from others and I suspect you’ll find that’s pretty price competitive.

How did you decide on this particular stone? In particular, was VVS2 a spec that came from you or the dealer? What about the H?

With this sort of thing the budget is heavily related to the diamond but the ‘look’ of the finished product is also heavy on the mounting. They range from a few hundred to tens of thousands of dollars depending on what you want and who you have make it. Can you tell us more?

Why not pay more for color? H is pretty low. Clarity is something you cannot even see, so you could sacrifice there for a higher color.

Jyeh74, h is a near colorless grade. I am already over my budget by 5000 $....also i own several D,E and F stones. This combo kind just worked for me both size wise and price wise. Plus this stone is had the measurements and visual appearance of a 2.5 carat stone.

The problem with diamond size is that this issue extends both directions with no limit. You simply must draw a line. 1.90’s are cheaper than 2.00, often by quite a bit. 1.45’s are cheaper still. 0.95's cheaper again. 2.51 goes up, 3.00 goes up even more. It’s not a linear scale and the numbers can get really big, really fast. The solution is to lock something down. I want the best 2.25 carat I can get for $x and narrow your focus to 2.25-2.29's. I want the biggest VS1/F I can get for my budget. Whatever. It’s not that any of these answers are better than another but you will drive yourself crazy for no reason if you don’t narrow things down. The ‘best’ diamond is simply not an option no matter WHAT your budget is. What you’re aiming for is the best one for you. You will not find a 1.99/GIAxxx for a ‘bargain’ price because it squeeks under the magic number. Why not? Because the cutters understand this game too. They’re trying to maximize money for the same reason you’re trying to minimize it. Such a stone rarely gets off the wheel and those that do get sold for a premium because they’re so popular. Each diamond is priced the way it is and is being sold where it is for a reason. It's good to understand what that reason is. Bargains that don't make sense are almost always an illusion.